Thread: Hurricanes

Default Hurricanes

How far in advance will we know if there will be a hurricane while we are in Jamaica? Fortunately, this has been a slow year for them and I hope it stays that way!

We will be getting married on 09.09.09 and hoping to be hurricane-free!

Unfortunatley there is no set rule. Hurricanes can be very tricky, sometimes you know days ahead of time and then they can just pop up. But if there is going to be one that will prevent you from traveling you will know enough ahead of time. However a storm can pop up so you might get to Jamaica one show up.

Quote Originally Posted by amymarieky View Post
    How far in advance will we know if there will be a hurricane while we are in Jamaica? Fortunately, this has been a slow year for them and I hope it stays that way!

We will be getting married on 09.09.09 and hoping to be hurricane-free!
    hmm that would depend on the direction and speed of the hurricane in question lets say there is a hurricane 200 miles off the coast of JA and said hurricane is moving at 50 miles per hour. A good rule of thumb would tell you if all things stay consistant the hurrincane would hit ja in approx 4 hours.

Based on historical data greater then of 4 hours may not be as accurate so 4-5 hours in advance should be the number.

This is kind of like asking if it is going to snow for Christmas this year.

Hurricanes are VERY unpredictable and even if there is one in the vicinity it can take drastic turns and go anywhere.

So there really is no way to know if there will be a hurricane on 9-9-09 in Jamaica. Don't worry about it. If it does happen you will have wonderful stories to tell your family years down the road.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Caribbean Hurricane Network

http://www.stormcarib.com/

Three days tops, as track forecast accuracy diminishes in dramatic fashion beyond 48-72 hours.

I'm sure they have procedures in place, but you could probably email the resort you are staying at to get more specifics. Congrats on the wedding. Have a blast. Just FYI...the position of Jamaica is in a great place to avoid hurricanes. It is shielded by Cuba for most tropical storms.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know for sure whether a hurricane will hit a certain location until it is there. You can get a pretty good idea of where one may be headed and how strong it may be 5 to 7 days before landfall though. My advice is that you don't stress about the possibility of a hurricane...as a bride you have many other things to think about (things you can actually control). So concentrate on the excitement of your wedding moon! Congratulations!

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

Default Hurricane Bill

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32472257/ns/weather/

Hurricane Bill has just been classified a category 4. Welcome to the Atlantic Hurricane Season.

There is no way to tell. We live in Texas and last year, just to give you an idea, Hurricane Ike was the 9th named storm of the season (Season begins June 1 and ends November 30) and the 5th hurricane of the season. It became a tropical storm on September 1, but didn't make landfall on the gulf coast until September 13. Luckily Jamaica doesn't get a direct hit too often, though neither does Texas. Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

I like this site for keeping an eye on the hurricanes (no pun intended).

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

I'm really not that worried about it, I was just curious.

So if a hurricane hits while we are there and we get stuck there, does Couples let us stay for free? :-)

Default 09.09.09 wedding as well!

My fiance and i are also getting married on the 9th at CSA i have the same worries as you but again there is no way to tell so just hope for the best!

I like using www.stormpulse.com because it has update feeds from the NOAA and its really user friendly. You can see all named storms and potential areas that might form into one. You can turn on the forcast models to see the potential path. But anything is possible with these storms and they can be unpredictable sometimes.

The best site I have found is www.crownweather.com. There is a tropical page and it is probably the complete site you will find. It has NOAA info, all computer models and plenty of other stuff that it takes weeks to months to figure out how to use. However, when you live in south Louisiana and manage technology, you tend to learn what all of the charts are as I look at this page several times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by amymarieky View Post
    I'm really not that worried about it, I was just curious.

So if a hurricane hits while we are there and we get stuck there, does Couples let us stay for free? :-)
    Here is the link to the Couples Hurricane Policy.

http://couples.com/01-HurricanePolicy.htm

Of course, if you purchased trip insurance, and the hurricane hits before you arrive, you can cancel with no penalty.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015