Thread: cell phones

Hybrid View

Default cell phones

If I buy a cellphone in the US and want to use it in Jamaica, Can I purchase the sim card there to make it work?

We have AT&T and have been able to use our phone with no special card or change in plan. Didn't want to get an international plan for just one week but we also did make a lot of calls from the phone.

I suppose you could do that. We did that 6 years ago with our BlackBerries when we had to travel to Kazakhstan. Now that we have iPhones, you can use the WiFi and S

That depends entirely on your provider. We happen to us USCellular. Not available on Jamaica. I'm not aware of any CDMA compliant providers on the island that have partnerships with US carriers.

Verizon and AT&T, I'm told, work with Jamaican providers. A sim from a local outlet will work, or you can obtain an international plan prior to departure from home.

I'm not sure, but I seem to recall hearing adds for Sprint on the island... is that possible?
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

We did that this year with our unlocked GSM phone

We bought a Digicell SIM after we got to Ocho Rios
    We got about 1000 minutes (International) plus unlimited texting to US
    Plus unlimited calls to other Digicell phones in Jamaica
    Cost us about 35$ US
    Popped the SIM in and activated it with no problem

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    We did that this year with our unlocked GSM phone

We bought a Digicell SIM after we got to Ocho Rios
    We got about 1000 minutes (International) plus unlimited texting to US
    Plus unlimited calls to other Digicell phones in Jamaica
    Cost us about 35$ US
    Popped the SIM in and activated it with no problem

John
    John,
    How do you get an unlocked phone? GSM???

Verizon works in JA. It is kind of expensive, but if you aren't making many calls, its not too bad.

If you travel much I suggest checking out a Passport SIM from www.telestial.com (I have this one - http://www.telestial.com/view_product.php?ID=MSIM-PP02) - you can get one with a UK & US number with some great rates in many countries. I just checked and my SIM allows for me to call home (canada) for $0.50/min, free incoming calls on my UK number, $0.19/min to receive a call on my US number - all from Jamaica. Rates are variable based on where you are calling from and where you are calling, but it is a prepaid service that will allow you to recharge your card automatically.