Default Info on tennis program at csa

I'm an avid tennis player and am looking forward to playing at Swept Away. Can anyone tell me about the instructors? I've heard they bring in guest pros but can't figure out if that means actual touring professionals that supplement the regular tennis staff or that there is no regular staff, that they just bring in locals to teach a week or so at a time. Are there any pros you've had there you'd recommend?

I will be at CSA in early February 2012.

Thanks,
    Erica

They have a resident pro and they bring in visiting touring professionals to supplement. I don't play tennis, so I can't comment on specific pros, but I spend a lot of time over on that side of the resort. The program is robust and great for beginners to advanced. I know some people go to CSA specifically for the tennis and spend much of their vacation playing.

There are usually at least two tennis pros onsite at CSA. In addition, some weeks there have guest pros who tend to be small college or club pros back in the states. Actual ATP pros onsite would be a nice perk, but that is rarely the case (though I am told it has happened before). I got to do three days of clinics with Stefan Edberg years ago at the now defunct Club Med on Paradise Island but I have never experienced anything like that at any other resort.
    The pros, program, and facitities at CSA are as good or better than any other in Jamaica IMO! Enjoy!

The tennis program is awesome. There are clay and grass courts and you can do round robins of all different levels or you can do private one on one instruction with one of the professionals. I was brand new to tennis and had a private instruction (included by the way) and he taught me so much. He also kicked my butt and I could barely move the next day. You are going to love the whole sports complex at CSA. After you play tennis you can go to the bar and have a very healthy smoothie or some infused water. Enjoy!!!

The tennis pro is awesome...they have a visiting pro (last time the guy they had who did tennis clinics throughout the US and I've also encountered a tennis coach from a college). He's normally in charge of the round robins in the afternoon and the beginning, intermediate, and advanced class (they are 1 hour each) I usually take the beginner class as it's at the best time for me plus I usually get to be the only student since not a lot of beginners spend vacation learning tennis . One time the instructor had us play tennis aerobics to music...very weird but fun and different.
    In addition, there are resident pros (3, I think) that you can book private 30 min lessons with (included in your stay). You can do this everyday. The tennis facilities are very good and the resident pros are also very nice and professional...they'll work with you on whatever you want. The raquets they have are adequate, lots of people bring their own. Try each of the resident pros and make your own decision as to who works best with what you like...I can't remember my favorite's name (it's been a year)...I always have to go look at the pictures posted at the smoothie bar to see which one I don't like. Can't wait...14 days to CSA for me.

Thanks everyone for your positive thoughts. I'm sure it will be a great experience!! I will be there every day!!

Ironically, I'll be the visiting pro the second week of April at CSA. Let me know what you'd like to work on and we can definitely focus on that.

Robb Chamberlain
    http://www.rc3.net

Not to be the voice of dissension here, because I also think the tennis program at CSA is great... but the visiting pros are hit or miss. We've been there when they've been fabulous and very professional, and we've also been there when they've been terrible.

It's kind of like the visiting fitness instructor program. Some are wonderful, some... not so much.

But the resident pros are absolutely fantastic and the facility is second to none.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by robb View Post
    Ironically, I'll be the visiting pro the second week of April at CSA. Let me know what you'd like to work on and we can definitely focus on that.

Robb Chamberlain
    http://www.rc3.net
    What a great gig, Robb! Too bad I will miss you -- I'll be there in early February. Hopefully they'll have a visiting pro at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by erica847 View Post
    What a great gig, Robb! Too bad I will miss you -- I'll be there in early February. Hopefully they'll have a visiting pro at that time.
    I'll be there 2/6-2/10 for sure if there is any overlap

Quote Originally Posted by robb View Post
    I'll be there 2/6-2/10 for sure if there is any overlap
    Well then, we shall see you on the 6th!
    Looking forward to meeting you and playing -- my husband and I will be there every day!!!

Do you know if anyone else is supposed to be there the week before you?

Quote Originally Posted by erica847 View Post
    Well then, we shall see you on the 6th!
    Looking forward to meeting you and playing -- my husband and I will be there every day!!!

Do you know if anyone else is supposed to be there the week before you?
    The schedule was pretty full, so I'd assume so. Surprisingly Valentines week was less popular.

Robb

Looks like I won't be there until later in the year now(shooting for august). I'm sure you'll have a great visiting pro for all of your trip. Best of luck and keep practicing.

Robb

another plus-they'll set up the ball machine for you, if you request it in advance. You'll have to check out the three wonderful local pros, and decide for yourself. We'll be back in March, having enjoyed our mid-December visit. The courts have recently been redone..they're beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by janeyb View Post
    another plus-they'll set up the ball machine for you, if you request it in advance. You'll have to check out the three wonderful local pros, and decide for yourself. We'll be back in March, having enjoyed our mid-December visit. The courts have recently been redone..they're beautiful!
    Thanks for the tip on the ball machine, JaneyB, and the good news about the courts just being reconditioned!

Fellow tennis players: we will be there 26 Feb - 10 March and keen to play. My boyfriend is club-level league 1 player, I am intermediate. Happy to play singles or doubles - but maybe not at high noon considering the heat!