Thread: Entry/Exit Tax?

Default Entry/Exit Tax?

I read on the Couples site that there is an exit tax ($28 US) that has to be paid at the airport before you leave, but is there an an entry tax as well?

Really? I have never had to pay a fee going to or coming from Jamaica.
    CSA Junkie! Next trip -- November 28th!

It's included in your trip costs.

The exit tax is often included in your airfare. Never had to pay an entry tax anywhere we've visited.

Most fees and taxes like that are included in your airfare ticket, so you've already paid it.

There is a relatively new one (Jamaican Passenger Facility Charge) that's $2-$3 a head; if you bought your airfare some time ago (like we did - February 2009), it's not included and will have to pay on the way out. I think it started to appear on tickets issued in late April or so.

Quote Originally Posted by jagorham View Post
    Most fees and taxes like that are included in your airfare ticket, so you've already paid it.

There is a relatively new one (Jamaican Passenger Facility Charge) that's $2-$3 a head; if you bought your airfare some time ago (like we did - February 2009), it's not included and will have to pay on the way out. I think it started to appear on tickets issued in late April or so.
    How will they even collect $2?

The exit tax is included with all the major airlines from the US.

The only place I have ever paid an entry tax is in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, it was $10 in 2008.

When my husband and I were there this last June, it wasn't included in our airfare yet. So, as we went thru customs to come home, we paid $5 cash. I didn't know anything about the tax and we used a TA. (I even called her two days before the trip to see if there was anything new that we would need to know.) Really, it was no big deal. I'm just glad we had it to pay.

My Husband and I were at CN at the end of June my TA told me we would have to pay a departure tax of $28 each. When we departed we just had to pay each a $2. When you go through customs they will give you a departure stub so you can leave Jamaica.When leaving at the Airport they will ask for that stub and thats when they will tell you if you have to pay the $2 each.

Delta and USA air collect the $28 in the price of the the ticket.

In July we had to pay an extra $2.00 each for a new tax.

Remember to eat before you get to the airport, it is very costly to eat in the airport. $10 to $15 each at Wendy's or equal.
    Irie Mon

Delta airlines included it in our ticket price when we were there in July.

The tax is included in the price of your airfare. Early this year, however, a surcharge or extra tax was added to the Jamaican exit tax to pay for added security. IF you had purchased airfare before then (we did), they were collecting a US$2.50 per person tax when you checked in at the airport.

I suspect that very few folks who are travelling yet this year have purchased airfare prior to Jan 1, but there are probably a few. If you did, be sure to have $5 cash per couple ready (they don't take credit card for this).
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

We have to pay a departure tax but we're from the UK so its probably not included in the airfare, it ought to be its a fortune!

It may or may not be included in our airfare (Air Jamaica). I guess to be on the safe side, make sure to have cash on hand when leaving.