Default Thanksgiving At CN

We spent Thanksgiving week at "Couples Negril" (http://www.couples.com/13cn/index.html), and for my daughter's wedding 28 November. Great week. Here is my report;

Loaded up at Memphis International via Delta on Wednesday. Considering this was a direct flight to Jamaica, it was surprisingly quiet; as if we were going to Detroit instead!! Once at MBJ Airport, we were met by the Couples Resort people. Just barely had time to grab a quick Red Stripe! Sadly, the bus ride to CN wasn't much better than the flight. C'mon, we're not on the bus to Cleveland!! At CN, we were again greeted with a "Welcome Home" and a glass of Brut. Then off to our rooms. We were assigned room 9306, while my daughter got room 5306, on the far side of the resort. Perhaps a good thing. Made a fast run to the Water Sports shack to sign up for Thursday's Catamaran Cruise, only to learn it was booked up. CRAP! This was the only day we could do it. Saturday would be the wedding. Was told to check with them a half hour early before the cruise to see if anyone doesn't show. Starved, since we hadn't eaten since breakfast in Memphis and it was now 5:00, we talked the grill man at Heliconia into some Jerk Chicken. Good stuff. Then to try the much talked about Hummingbirds. Linda was in love!! Dinner was also at the Heliconia. Great first night.

Thanksgiving morning was breathtakingly beautiful. Perfect day of clear skies and water. The bay was surprisingly calm. More like a lake than ocean. My daughter said she was hoping for waves for her wedding. Be careful what you wish for! We did check with the Catamaran Cruise as told, and there was indeed room. Good deal. And was fun, as promised. There was a Thanksgiving Feast on the beach that night, with a local band. GREAT! Friday was pretty much a repeat of Thursday. Though we ate at Cassava for the "Lobster Night". We got 2 Broiled Lobster Tails. VERY good. Keep in mind that since the tail does all the work for a Lobster, it is always the toughest. These were very tender and flavorful. Outstanding dinner.

Saturday morning, a storm rolled through. Pretty good size curls, under cloudy skies. Oh well, if it rains, it rains. No rain, no rainbows. But, as I guess for Jamaica, it did clear up into a pretty "Partly Cloudy" day. Much of the afternoon was spent on wedding preps. I surprised my daughter with a 6 pence from her mother's wedding that was given to Pat by my mother. All of the wedding help from the "Planner" to the Photographer, were great. No disappointments. Plus we did have a very good Sunset, and WAVES!! We were also given a dinner reservation to Othaheite Restaurant. Didn't see the kids the rest of the night.

Sunday, our last day, was another beautiful day. The storm had brought in a fair amount of weed. The ground crew tried to clean it up, but was a losing battle. I imagine those who came in Saturday night were thinking poorly of the beach. We also got in the Glass Bottom Boat ride. This may have been even better than the Catamaran Cruise. Very interesting and informative. we did learn that "the grassy stuff in the water is called 'Sea Weed', it's what the fishes smoke. This is why we have no problems with sharks"! Back, we got in as much beach time as possible for the day. For our last dinner, we went to the Lychee Restaurant. Though advertised as "Oriental", this is like no other "Chinese Restaurant" I have ever been to. Amazing food. Helpful hint; get the "Sample Appetizer For Two", I could live on that!

Monday morning, and have to get up at 5 am for the flight back. CRAP!! We were given a "Continental Breakfast at the Terrace. Then picked up by our ride. Since there was just the 4 of us, we got a Toyota Van driven by "Elliot". OK, this was the ride we SHOULD have gotten to CN. The driver told jokes, pointed out interesting things along the ride, told stories, and overall kept us laughing all the way to the airport. What a great trip. Sadly, once at the airport; things went to Hell. Pretty much anything short of a plane crash that could possibly go wrong, did. But that's another story.

One thing definite; this was an incredible staff at this resort. ALWAYS a smiling face. Anyway, we did have several "Resort Lessons" (RL) learned that include;

RL 1- As with a cruise, the success of a resort stay is directly proportionate to how little time is spent in the room. You can sit in a room watching TV at home.

RL2- The bartenders are not light on the alcohol.

RL 3- Although all inclusive, don't get sick from too much food and or drinks. One bride had to miss her Wedding Consultation because she was sicker than a dog. Hope she was feeling better the next day for her wedding.

RL 4-It's easy to get totally fried the 1st day. The mid day sun can be intense.

RL5- Nudity is NOT limited to the AN Beach. It was not unusual to see women strolling, sunning, or swimming topless on the Open Beach.

RL 6- The Resort's Complimentary Robe of size "Large" does NOT fit all!

RL 7- Sand Fleas are vicious!

RL 8- "Booked Up" isn't necessarily so. Some people book, and don't show.

An album of pics are below;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8208088...7622925777034/

Thank you for the review. We spent a wonderful Thanksgiving at CN a few years ago and your words brought back great memories for us.

I also got married on the 28th at CN! It was a beautiful day. We were in the morning in the gazebo. I wonder if it was your daughter at the hair salon at the same time I was.

Quote Originally Posted by oddcouple1 View Post
    I also got married on the 28th at CN! It was a beautiful day. We were in the morning in the gazebo. I wonder if it was your daughter at the hair salon at the same time I was.
    ....Too bad we didn't meet up. Then again, we may have!!

Loved the review, loved the pictures and especially loved the RL's... those are great!!! Hated seeing all the bug bites though, I hope they went away fast for you!!
    Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Bkhiattky View Post
    Loved the review, loved the pictures and especially loved the RL's... those are great!!! Hated seeing all the bug bites though, I hope they went away fast for you!!
    ....The funny part. I brought some high density Bug Cream that I put on my legs for night beach activities. Figuring that they wouldn't get past the legs, and would be safe. WRONG!! On the plus side, I got no bites on the legs. Interestingly, the girls didn't get a bite; just us guys!!

We were there at the same time as you and it is funny because my DH didn't get bit once and i would get eaten alive.....now I stayed out of the sand at night except the night of the beach party and bonfire but there were so many people that night it was probably too scary for the sand fleas. I had a bug spray and needed it in the mornings on the balcony and in the evenings just sitting or walking around. Funny they bothered you guys and my DH was left alone.

Quote Originally Posted by cleversole View Post
    We were there at the same time as you and it is funny because my DH didn't get bit once and i would get eaten alive.....now I stayed out of the sand at night except the night of the beach party and bonfire but there were so many people that night it was probably too scary for the sand fleas. I had a bug spray and needed it in the mornings on the balcony and in the evenings just sitting or walking around. Funny they bothered you guys and my DH was left alone.
    ....It is interesting how some get ate up, and others go untouched.

As I sit here in Tennessee on a cold wet day, can't help but reflect that two years ago today we were celebrating the wedding of my daughter and her now husband at CN. Need to start thinking about booking another trip to Jamaica!

Just to clarify, NUDITY is not the same as TOPLESS... topless is allowed on the main beach but not nudity, that is designated to the nude beach area which is separate from the main beach. Glad you had such an amazing vacation, nobody does it like Couples.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiGal04 View Post
    Just to clarify, NUDITY is not the same as TOPLESS... topless is allowed on the main beach but not nudity, that is designated to the nude beach area which is separate from the main beach. Glad you had such an amazing vacation, nobody does it like Couples.
    ......So I discovered. Note, certainly NOT complaining!!