Default Weather in January

Now before you start saying... yeah yeah... the weather is the same all YEAR in Jamaica....
    We were at CSS last year Dec 31 to Jan 6, and it was COLD. (Disclaimer: We're from Florida...) But even the watersports guys were wearing sweatshirts, and I simply could NOT lay in the sun (what little there was of it) without a long sleeve shirt on.

Our normal trips are in April/May and it's always nice and hot, with scattered showers, which we love! But woohoo. Css was cold and rainy last January.

But despite that, DH and I feel the need for a break, and we're thinking of CTI (again) for our anniversary Jan 2-9. For those of you who have been to Jamaica in January, put my mind at ease, and tell me that that was a fluke -- and it should be LOTS warmer than 75-78 degrees during the day, and sunny.

Right? Right??
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/Di...=on&records=on

that map will show you those dates last year was barely under average (~2*F).
    Play with the date selector (on the right) and you'll also see a trip planner.
    Its still better than FL (today high is 60*F!)

There was a fluke front around that time last year.
    I recall front page news of it in the gleaner, though this story was a week or so after your trip.

"Cold front brings out winter gear"
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead3.html

While that was a fluke, we do find the temps in Dec/Jan to be noticeably cooler than Aug/Sep or even March. In particular the pool and sea temps, but not so cool that we don't enjoy it.

This trip is going to shock us a bit. We are sitting in -30C temps, about 6 hours of daylight max, so the cooler temps will still be warm for us. We have dry, cold air up here , we are practically at the north pole! You can't beleive how much we are looking forward to stepping into paradise in Jan. Two time zones, 6.5 hours in the air. Amazing!

Hello Vee,
    We have been to Jamaica twice in January, both times end of the month. The daytime weather was hot, definitely not too cold for a bathing suit but in the evening I needed a light sweater.

We were at CSS Jan. 3-10, but I don't think we met. When's your anniversary? Ours is Jan. 9.
    We were at CTI the week before and I agree, it was cold! I thought that second week at CSS was much better, but still not as hot as I like it.
    We almost always travel in Jan. We were at CSA in Jan. 2008 and the weather was amazing... hot and sunny, and only 1 afternoon of short sprinkles. The year before that we were in a resort in MoBay over NY and the weather was amazing too... all sun and no rain. We also did a Southern Caribbean cruise Jan.2010 and had great weather everyday except in St. Lucia. Cold fronts can come at any time. In 2009 we were in Turks & Caicos and had one hit us early Feb. so you just never know. Even then it only lasted a few days. This Jan. we are heading a little further south to Costa Rica (to a dry part in the dry season. It better be hot and sunny there! lol) But it won't put us off Jamaica in Jan. We'll likely go back (to CN and CSA) in Jan. 2013
    I really do think last year was a fluke. I bet (ok, hope, lol) you have hot sunny weather every day this year Book it Danno

Thanks for the info. I looked at the weather websites as well, and it was not showing that it was THAT much cooler than average, but I'll tell you this: The watersports guys were complaining that it was the coldest it had been in 20 years. They were wearing sweatshirts and jackets and the like. I'm OK with a sweater in the evening, actually, I like that.... But I also want to be able to lay out in a bathing suit and snorkel without FREEZING! (which is what I did at CSS last year....)

In any case, it's looking like CTI for us. Maybe just for 5 nights, but so what. We'll be in Jamaica, mon!
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]