Default Jamaican Patties

I've seen many people write rave reviews about the Jamaican patties at Couples...can anyone explain what these are and the ingredients? I originally thought they were a type of burger, but now I'm thinking they look like a calzone (or pizza pop)?

Patties are folded-over, half moon shaped dough pockets, filled with either meat or veggies or both. They are baked, or fried, and addictively delicious (I can actually hear your stomach rumbling from 700 miles away, Brian!). The patty is a traditional Jamaican dish that was originally invented to make a little meat go a long way in a poor country where people can't afford to go the supermarket and buy pounds of hamburger everyday. The patties you get at most places now have quite a bit of filling in them and the beef patties at Couples are to die for. I'm personally not a fan of the chicken or veggie ones, but some people like them better. It's all about personal taste, but, regardless, you have to try them!
    Last edited by dank120; December 10th, 2011 at 11:50 AM.

A pattie is something like a calzone. It's a pastry pocket filled with chopped, seasoned meat. Beef and Chicken are the two most common varieties. The pastry is flakier than a calzone would be. The filling is mildly spicy (to my taste, but I like hot food). They are my favorite thing at the Cabana Grill at CSA

They are pasty or pie. flaky pastry and filling of either spicy minced beef or chicken curry. try one you will not be dissapointed.

They are a fried pastry with meat filling. Curry chicken or spicy beef. Mmm...I love the beef.

Seems like every culture has its own version of "patties" - they're just called something else. Empanadas, Pirozhki, Meat Pies, Pasties, Samosas, etc. They're all about the same - Delicious!!

It's handheld meat (or veggie) pie, so probably a little smaller than a typical calzone. It's a combination of colonial influences: Basically Cornish pasties from the English spiced with Indian and/or native spices and using native ingredients. You can probably Google a few recipes to get a better idea.

They are a slightly spicy meat pie (chicken or beef) in a flaky crust, shaped like a small calzone. They do not contain gravy or tomato sauce, so they are drier than an Aussie meat pie or American pot-pie. Get them with some of the jerk marinade - I have them almost every day when I'm there.

Hi TravelBug! Jamaican patties are like a puffed pastry filled with meat and/or veggies and Jamaican spices. They are in a half moon shape and look like empanadas but the outside colour is more yellow or golden. They can be anywhere from mild to very spicy and can be made with beef, pork and/or chicken. They are delicious! We are going to Couples for the first time in January and I'm sure the patties will be fabulous!

Oh my goodness... I LOVE the patties at Couples!!! I ate them eveyday during both vacations! They are not a burger, but are a pastry filled delight! You can order beef or chicken. I always had the beef, and even had wonderful veggie patties on our first trip to San Souci. They no longer have veggie patties on the menu, which is a shame, as they were my absolute favorite. When I found out that veggie patties weren't offered on the menu at Tower Isle, I sent a message to the resort, and they actually made some veggie patties just for me...how incredible is that?!! Now I am SO hungry for a patty!!!

They are meat (beef and chicken) stuffed pastries. They can be spicy and you can't go to Jamaica without trying some. I like the beef the best. We always grab some at the airport while we are waiting for our flight, kind of our last taste of Jamaica.

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    Patties are folded-over, half moon shaped dough pockets, filled with either meat or veggies or both. They are baked and addictively delicious (I can actually hear your stomach rumbling from 700 miles away, Brian!). The patty is a traditional Jamaican dish that was originally invented to make a little meat go a long way in a poor country where people can't afford to go the supermarket and buy pounds of hamburger everyday. The patties you get at most places now have quite a bit of filling in them and the beef patties at Couples are to die for. I'm personally not a fan of the chicken or veggie ones, but some people like them better. It's all about personal taste, but, regardless, you have to try them!
    Did I hear somebody mention patties??? I could smell them from here ;-)

They are even better with some sour cream and salsa. Good at the airport, too.