Default Dolphin Cove Negril (how did you book it.?)

Hey everyone.. TGIF..!
    I'm heading to CSA in 2 weeks, and my gf and I want to book the Dolphin Cove Nergil (encounter with dolphins) excursion..
    Have a few questions..

(1) Can you book this when you arrive at the hotel CSA
    (if not, where is the best website or place to book this..?)

(2) How much did it cost.?? (I have seen a few different prices from searching on the web)

Thanks... Rome

You can book it at the resort Tour Desk, so no worries there.

On another note, you will definitely hear mixed opinions about this place. After seeing a bunch of reports on both the internet and TV about these places and the treatment of captive dolphins, I was totally against it. However, as usual, further education proves helpful. After speaking with some of our local dive buddies, it turns out that the dolphins at the 2 Dolphin Cove locations in Jamaica are supposedly rescued dolphins that were sick, injured, dying, etc, that are brought into captivity to be healed and re-released into the wild, so they are rotated in and out. Now, I know there is A LOT of negative info out there about "swim with dolphins" locations throughout the world, especially in the Caribbean, but if this is truly a rescue operation, it doesn't sound like a negative program. Either way, we are divers and prefer to see them in the wild. You should try the free resort dive that's included in your trip!

We did it when we were a CN Decmeber 2010. It was well worth it for me, but I am a Dolphn lover and it was a dream of mine to swim with them. We booked through the resort (CN) once we were there. It is on the way back towards Montego in Lucea. It takes about 45 minutes to get there. It was $175 for the full swim with two dolphins and then $25 for my husband to just get in the door (rip off). We picked up 11 more people from RIU on the way. When we got there they gave us an information session and the guy was great. Then we were divided into our groups as to what program we were in. There were 8 people in my group and the person who did the information session was with us in the water too. You get in the water and there are two dolphins in there and their trainer is on the dock. You start out all lined up, shoulder to shoulder and the dolphins swim under your hands. They are so soft. Then you go back along the sides of the dock – 4 on one side and 4 on the other. They call you out in the groups you came in (so I was by myself) and you get a good 5 minutes with the dolphin just lying in front of you to stroke them to look at them and to feel their heart beating. I asked a lot of questions about all of the marks on this dolphin and the guy was full of info – it was great. Then we got to go out one by one and the dolphins swam up behind me and I grabbed onto their dorsal fin and they swam away with me! I was amazed at how strong they were and how fast! It was awesome. Then we got to go further out and I had to lay on my stomach with my feet pointed down and the dolphins came up behind me and pushed my feet and pushed me through the water. Again amazing! After that we got to each dance with them while holding their fins. Very cool. They ended it with us having them swim under our hands again and then they jumped out of the water a few times. Awesome. They take pictures and video of the whole thing. My husband had to stay pretty far away – they don’t let anyone unless they paid down by the water. But he videotaped the whole thing. I did buy the disc with the pictures though. It was $70 for the disc and you get every picture they took of everyone. That would be a great deal if you had multiple people with you. They also had two sting rays there at a different part of the beach/Ocean area you could go touch and look at. The handler was very knowledgeable about them. I suppose that is what the $25 for my husband was – entrance to just watch me and then a few minutes with a sting ray. I thought that was pretty bad – I mean I could see $10 or something. I was nervous the bus would leave when we were with the sting rays as it did not seem like a lot of people knew about this. They had problems with our disc and it took forever to get it straight so the people were still waiting for us, I felt bad. We still got back around 1:30 or so.
    Great post by dank120 BTW - everyone will tell you how horrible this place is, but we were also told by the trainers and have researched it about the dolphnis here being rescued. Some are not released, but their life expectancy is far greater in this beautiful home for them than out in the ocean, where they were all about to die from their injuries at some point.

I've got some pricing on some of the swimming with dolphins (it turned out to be more than we wanted to spend):
    Swim with Dolphins: $195/person plus 10%tax
    Encounter Swim: $129/person plus 10%tax
    Dunn's River Falls: $20/person

Hope this helps. These seemed like the two best options.

Default dolphin cove near ocho rios

it is something i have always wanted to do so we booked the single dolphin trip,it was an experience i must say,and the dolphins seemed happy enough although somebody commented on the colour of their underside,due to all the touching!
    However what did upset us was all the nonsense and shouting of the shark show,these poor sharks looked utterly miserable and should not be enclosed in such a small area,the same has to be said about the rays,my husband was so upset about it all,he had to leave and didnt even do the dolphin experience that he paid for.
    It certainly makes you look at these places in a different light and i would not go in one again.
    Also around the park there are a number of reptiles,the guys that give you the iguana with the deformed foot to hold,handle it very roughly and are like your best friends until you go to leave,then stand in front of you with their hands out for tips,i know this happens but people have already paid a lot to get in there in the 1st place.
    this is just our opinion but it left a nasty taste in our mouths,to think how many times a day,every day of the year these animals have to go through this just to make money!
    They should be left in the wild.

In response to zepp's comment - was that Dolphin Cover Montego Bay not Negril? When I was at Dolphin Cover Negril it was just dolphins and then in the fresh water bay there were two handlers with two stingrays and they were so gentle and nice. You just went in the water and they were there and asnwered all of your questions and were so knowledgable about everything. That was it - no sharks or reptiles or anything.

It was at ocho rios,near the dunns river falls.

Default dpolphin cove

Also the 4 lads that do the shark show act so rediculous at the start of the show,shouting squealing and generally making the whole show seem cheap and nasty before it even started,everyone was on about it,it just made you wish you hadnt gone ,then they get in with the sharks and the torment starts

That is too bad. Sounds like Negril (or Lucea) is much smaller so therefore a little more relaxed of an atmosphere. Just dolphins and a few stingrays.