Default Question about arriving at Montego Bay Airport

Hi! My husband and I are SO excited to be going to Couples for our first time next week! We'll be flying into the Montego Bay airport and I had a question about the process there.

I've only been out of the country once and that was a looooong time ago. What do we need to do once we land? I know there is a Couples lounge there. Do we go through customs right when we land? Do we get our bags before we go to the lounge? Do we wait in the lounge for the transportation to the resort?

We're so so excited but as we've never done this before we're a little nervous, we just want to get to the resort smoothly and start the honeymoon! Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank you!

Once you depart from your plan you have a long walk to customs, there you have your passport stamped then you go pick up your luggage and head out. There will be allot of people offering to help you, but nicely tell them you are just going to couples and they will either direct you or walk away(no problem mon!) You will then check in with the couples lounge on your left, they will tag your bags to the resort that you are going, then you can have a beer or water, washroom break. Once everyone has arrived to the couples lounge they will escourt you out to a van or small bus. Please tip the luggage guys and once you get off the bus, you can tip the bus driver. That is it for tipping. Your bus ride is about 1 1/2 hours to couples. the drive will ask if you want to stop for a beer break. That depends on everyone on the bus. Personally we would rather just get to the resort.. hope this helps.

We were unsure our first trip a couple years ago too but it was simple. When you get off the plane you will follow everyone else to the customs area. Depending on how many planes come in around the same time this can go very quick or take some time. After going through customs you will pick up your bags and go through another little checkpoint. Once through there you will go towards all the lounges. Couples is on the far left and very easy to find. The guys will tag your bags at the door and someone will check you in at the desk. Then it's vacation time! Use the bathroom, have a red stripe, and wait for them to say its time to go!

When you are on the plane, you will get immigration forms. Have pens (blue or black ink), itinerary, and passports available to complete those while you are still on the plane. If you have questions, ask your flight attendants. Then you will deplane and head to immigrations. This is a rather long walk, but just remember what is at the end (follow the crowd). If you are in line and have not completed your forms, they will pull you aside to finish the form. Again, have your passport ready with the forms. THEN once you get through immigrations, you will go to baggage claim. Our bags have yet to be on the belt they tell us and are usually waiting for us off of to the side. Get your bags and head to customs. Again, have passports and forms ready. You will most likely get in the "nothing to claim" line. After getting through customs, go left. There will be people there asking if you need help. Just say "heading to Couples" and keep walking. The lounge is all the way to the left as you leave customs. Once there, they will check your bags and you go in and check in--name and resort. Then use the facilities and grab a drink. Most likely, your shuttle will be ready. There will be a "red hat" helping with luggage. We give $1 per bag to one person--the one who takes the cart to the shuttle. Also, your driver is not a Couples employee so you may or may not want to tip him as you would a driver in the states. Then sit back relax and enjoy the scenery.
    Vicky

The process is not really intimidating and goes (usually) pretty quickly.
    Your plane lands, and you walk to immigration with your carryons. You wait your turn to go through immigration and get your passport stamped. This can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour (if there happens to be multiple arrivals at the same time).
    Once through immigration, you go to baggage claim and retrieve your checked luggage.
    There is a short walk to the ground transportation area. The Couples lounge is to your left as you enter the ground transportation area. There are a few other lounges for other resorts as well.

Head toward the Couples lounge and you will be met with men who will ask you which Couples resort you're going to. They will take your bags and tag them with the appropriate color of your resort. You go into the lounge and get a Red Stripe or water and relax for a few minutes until your shuttle is ready to leave for the resort. There is also a restroom inside the lounge. We've never waited more than 20 minutes or so before the shuttle was ready to leave.

When you land, you walk. And walk. And walk. And walk. And then you walk some more. THEN you go through immigration. No bags yet. The lines at immigration typically range anywhere from 3 to 30 minutes. After immigration, you collect your luggage. (More often than not, it's waiting for you.) and then go through customs. Again, a pretty short line, usually. We've never waited more than 15 minutes.

THEN you walk through a door, and down a short hallway, and at the end of the atrium there you will see Mecca. (or the Couples Lounge.) Before you even walk in, there will be a bellman there to take your bags. (You CAN and SHOULD tip him later.) and when you walk into the lounge, you check in with whomever is on duty, tell them your name and resort and get a Red Stripe. (The first of many.) Your vacation has officially begun!
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

There's not much to it. You land, go through immigration, pick up your bags, and go through customs. Very smooth and quick process. Nothing special you need to know. Just follow everyone else. It's a quick process, then you're off to the Couples lounge for a couple of Red Stripes.

Hi Lindzsers, You will go through Customs, collect your bags and then go to the Couples lounge.

Have fun!!

We will be there in 11 days

Having just gone the beginning of November, here's the drill:
    1. Off the plane, and down a long hallway with various bits of art and photos. The windows look out on the tarmac.
    2. Through Customs
    3. Pick up your baggage
    4. Through Security
    5. When we arrived, there was a person at the lobby who was directing people to the appropriate resort lounge
    6. Over to the Couples lounge, an employee tags your bags for the appropriate resort, then swing in and grab a drink (Red Stripe or soda)

Jason
    CTI first trip November 2011
    CTI return trip in 541 days!

Welcome to the Couples family, you are about to experience the holiday (honeymoon) of a lifetime. Don't worry about actually entering Jamaica. There really is, as they keep saying in Jamaica, no problem, man! When you disembark from the aircraft you are directed to the arrivals hall, you should have completed an entry form on the aircraft before landing. You will then line up with your passports and your completed entry form and once through the passport inspection you will be directed to the baggage area to collect your bags (which are usually there waiting for you). You then line up for customs and once through there you make your way to the Couples lounge (to the left after leaving customs - you can't miss it as there is a Couples sign above the entrance). Once there your bags will be sorted into each Couples resort while you enjoy a refreshing drink before being taken to the bus to transport you to paradise.

You will need to tip the red-cap who takes your luggage to the bus 1 dollar per bag and then you are on your way to paradise. You will need to tip the driver as he is not a Couples employee (no need to tip anyone after that as Couples employees are not allowed to accept tips).

When you arrive at your Couples resort you will truly believe you have 'died and gone to heaven' as your every need will be taken care of - have a wonderful time and do let us know how it went when you get back.

Congratulations on your wedding and you have definitely chosen the perfect location for your honeymoon.

Mad about tennis

You don't have to know what to do as you will be herded ( as you are when arriving in any country) through the process. Technically you have to pass through immigration, collect your bags and then pass through customs - just a couple of queues to wait for a few minutes in - and then someone will be waiting to take you to the Couples Lounge and they sort out your bags from then on.

Honestly you can't make a mistake and it is all very low key compared with most countries.

The process takes you from the plane to immigration, then to get your luggage, then through customs (with your luggage), then on to the Couples Lounge. Just follow the crowds and you'll get there. As you enter the arrivals area, after customs, turn left and head to the back of the room. That's where the COuples Lounge is located.

A couple of tips for those who have not been through the process before...

1. Bring a ball point pen or two in your carryon bag (blue or black ink). There never seem to be enough on the plane to go around for everyone to fill out the immigration/customs forms.

2. Be sure to fill out the forms completely, both sides, including signing and future dating the departure section. One form per person. Here's a link to what the form looks like. http://www.jamaica-info.de/images/immigration.pdf I actually print one of these for each of us and fill out, in advance, any information that I don't have memorized (i.e. pastport numbers, flight numbers, etc.). I put it in my carry on and only have to hunt for one source of information when filling out the actual form on the plane. It just makes it easier in cramped quarters.

3. When you go to claim your luggage, it is possible that your luggage was removed from the conveyor belt and set off to the side against the wall to the right of the room. This is especially true if many planes arrive around the same time. They try to keep plenty of room on the belt to get all the arriving bags into the bagage claim area as quickly as possible. Send one person to scan any luggage that might be set aside while the other scans the conveyor.

4. Be patient. The lines may appear forever long sometimes, but they usually move fairly fast. It's better now than it used to be before they upgraded the facilities.

5. Check in at the Couples Lounge and let them know of your arrival even if you have made other arrangements to get from the airport to the resort (i.e. TimAir, International Airlink or private transfer).

6. Enjoy the experience...you're on vacation!!!

I hope this helps.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

You go through customs first. Make sure you have filled out the form the flight crew handed out. So many people don't fill them out properly and it will delay you at customs. From there you retrieve your bags and go through one more custom booth. Once in arrival hall turn to your left and you'll see Couples lounge. Check in, have a red stripe and before you know it you'll be on the road. Have a fabulous trip.

After you arrive you will proceed directly to Jamaica immigration. Have your passforts and forms you filled out on the plane ready
    After you go thru the above proceed directly to baggage claim. Ater you pick up your bags youi willthen go thru customs. Once you clear customs you will be directed to Couples Lounge. Once you reach the lounge check your luggage with them, have a beverage and if need be use the facilities. By that time you will directed toa van/car/bus and off you go to start you honeymoon

By the way which resort are you going to and when will you be there?

We are going to Couples Swept Away from Dec 13th to Dec 23

Feel free to email me @ richk29@optonline.net

Congrats on you wedding!

Rich

Generally I go by the "follow the crowd" rule since 100 people or more have gotten off your plane and are going in the same direction!

You will receive some forms on the plane, so have those filled out (bring pens in your carryon). The first stop will be the passport check. Once you get off the plane you can't get lost, the hallways take you directly to the customs area. After your passports are stamped and your forms are checked, the agent will give you back your forms.

Next stop is to pick up your baggage. After you have your baggage you will leave the customs area. Normally you would go through the "nothing to declare" line unless you were bringing stuff into the country. You give your form to the agent and they will wave you through. You will hold onto an immigration card, make sure to keep this with your passport until you leave the country!

Once out of the customs area, you will be come to the arrivals hall where all of the resorts have their lounges. The Couples lounge is to the left, in the corner. Drag your bags over there. Once you get near the door, the baggage guys will take your bags from you and ask which resort you are going to, then give you bag claim slips. You then sit down at the desk inside the lounge where the Couples rep will ask you for your name and which resort you are going to, and let you know how long you will have to wait for the shuttle. Once they've confirmed you, you can go to the bar inside the lounge and get a (free) beer, and/or use the restrooms (next to the bar). There are couches and bar stools inside the lounge where you wait for the shuttle.

When the shuttle is ready to leave they will call for everyone. There are two shuttles, one for CTI/CSS and one for CSA/CN. You will go back out into the hall and they will verify that everyone's gathered. Make sure that your bags get loaded onto the trolley. Then you will follow the baggage guys to the shuttle. Tip the baggage guys a buck or two per bag and board the shuttle, and you're away! Remember to tip the driver when you arrive, too. Check other threads on tipping if you want suggestions on amounts. The baggage handlers and drivers are not Couples employees which is why the tipping is done. Just be ready for it with some dollars in your pocket, I think sometimes people don't expect it and don't bring any cash and it's just a little uncomfortable.

And that's pretty much it! It's a small airport so you can't really get lost at any point. Once you get to the Couples Lounge they will take care of you. Hopefully someone will chime in if I've missed anything

Default You made the right choice!and a suggestion:)

First, RELAX! You probably made the best choice you could make by choosing Couples. Once you get off the plane, follow everyone else to luggage pickup and customs. Sangster airport is not that big although it is newer. Ask customs person where is Couples lounge(you`re almost in paradise). It`s only a few more steps(ooh the anticipation). Once at the lounge you will be quite properly taken care of by very nice and helpful people. This is where my wife and I start smiling the "Couples" smile that does not go away til we leave. Make sure your luggage is going to the right Couples Resort. After a short wait and a few liquid refreshments you will be shown to "The Bus" for the hour and a half trip to the resort. A good place to meet new friends. Sometimes the driver asks if anyone wants to stop for "Washroom(beer) Break" about half way to the resort. My wife and I enjoy this but some people want to go straight to the resort. No Problem! It`s only 45 minutes to Paradise.
    Only one suggestion. You should sign up for the Romance Rewards program. As a new member you will not get many benefits from this but I believe you will be able to PreCheck-in and I believe you can do the Trading Places. Check it out. There is a link to the romance rewards page at the bottom of this page. Sorry this is so long but once I get started I can`t say enough good things about Couples.Only 34 more days til we go home to Couples Negril.
    Ere De Fun Don Done
    Grand Lido Sans Souci Feb. 2002, Couples Negril Feb. 2010,
    Couples Negril,Feb. 2011, Couples Negril Jan. 2012,
    Cool Runnings eh!

Welcome to couples. You will find it quite easy to get thru the airport. You will follow a line after you deplane to customs where they will check you passport. Then you will go through and get your suitcase. There are lots of workers there that will also direct you where to go if you need them. After the suitcase you will go through the line of "something to delare" or "nothing to declare". Most likely you will have "nothing to declare" I assume. After that go left and the couples lounge is at the end. Don't worry its not far. Think small airport.
    Which resort are you going to? What day are you arriving? What are you and you sig other's names?
    We will arrive on the 11th. 8th trip to Jamaica, 4th to CN, Been once each to CSS and CTI.
    Believe it or not I'm just as excited as you to get back to CN. It's a special place.
    If you are going to be at CN, maybe we will see you there. Have fun and safe travels.
    Karin (and Jim) he's never on the computer.

Hopefully you get a good driver. The past 2 that we had were fabuous! They told us who lives in some of the houses that we pass, like Cosby, Lennox Lewis. He told us about the making of the movie "Cool Running" and other historic facts about the area. I can't remember his name but each trip we learned something different. I gave them a little extra over the baggage people. We're heading back January 26, 2012. 51 days to go........can't wait.

a63vetteowner

Quote Originally Posted by lindzsers View Post
    Hi! My husband and I are SO excited to be going to Couples for our first time next week! We'll be flying into the Montego Bay airport and I had a question about the process there.

I've only been out of the country once and that was a looooong time ago. What do we need to do once we land? I know there is a Couples lounge there. Do we go through customs right when we land? Do we get our bags before we go to the lounge? Do we wait in the lounge for the transportation to the resort?

We're so so excited but as we've never done this before we're a little nervous, we just want to get to the resort smoothly and start the honeymoon! Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank you!
    There seems to be a lot of responses that are not 100% accurate to answer your question. The order upon arrival is:

Deplane, Immigration, Pick-up Bags, then Customs

Some were right, others were not. Immigration and Customs are 2 different locations serving 2 different purposes. You first go through Immigration to state your purpose of travel, get your passport stamped, and get cleared to enter the country. Make sure you save the stub from your form somewhere safe or they can make it difficult to leave the country. Then, you get your luggage, which as others have stated is usually off the conveyor belt and lined up on the floor. After you pick up your checked bags, you go through Customs, so they can see if you have any items to declare. Usually, the Customs line goes way quicker than the Immigration line. After you go through Customs, you come out to the lounge area, where Couples is directly to your left. From here on out, it's NO PROBLEMS! Just relax and let Jamaica (and Couples) take care of everything else!

Quote Originally Posted by NeedBlueWater View Post
    The process takes you from the plane to immigration, then to get your luggage, then through customs (with your luggage), then on to the Couples Lounge. Just follow the crowds and you'll get there. As you enter the arrivals area, after customs, turn left and head to the back of the room. That's where the COuples Lounge is located.

A couple of tips for those who have not been through the process before...

1. Bring a ball point pen or two in your carryon bag (blue or black ink). There never seem to be enough on the plane to go around for everyone to fill out the immigration/customs forms.

2. Be sure to fill out the forms completely, both sides, including signing and future dating the departure section. One form per person. Here's a link to what the form looks like. http://www.jamaica-info.de/images/immigration.pdf I actually print one of these for each of us and fill out, in advance, any information that I don't have memorized (i.e. pastport numbers, flight numbers, etc.). I put it in my carry on and only have to hunt for one source of information when filling out the actual form on the plane. It just makes it easier in cramped quarters.

3. When you go to claim your luggage, it is possible that your luggage was removed from the conveyor belt and set off to the side against the wall to the right of the room. This is especially true if many planes arrive around the same time. They try to keep plenty of room on the belt to get all the arriving bags into the bagage claim area as quickly as possible. Send one person to scan any luggage that might be set aside while the other scans the conveyor.

4. Be patient. The lines may appear forever long sometimes, but they usually move fairly fast. It's better now than it used to be before they upgraded the facilities.

5. Check in at the Couples Lounge and let them know of your arrival even if you have made other arrangements to get from the airport to the resort (i.e. TimAir, International Airlink or private transfer).

6. Enjoy the experience...you're on vacation!!!

I hope this helps.
    That is a top tip....thanks

Deb & Simon -

Bert & Linda will be arriving on the 15th of December as well. Perhaps we will bump into you at the pool bar!

NeedBlueWater...Love your idea in #2! I always bring my own pens but I'm always rummaging around in that cramped space to get to the passports and travel documents. I've printed these forms and storing them with my passport so I don't forget!

NeedBlueWater, big ups for the link for the .pdf file for the form. got it and will use it on future trips. having something to just copy instead of digging for info will make things smoother going "home"

Randy
    it's all about the kids

www.issatrustfoundation.com