Default Services for children with disabilities in Jamaica

Hi, I went to CN in July for our honeymoon and I can't get Jamaica out of my head! I've been reading everything I can find about the island, including politics and history and economics. Here in the states, I work with children with developmental disabilities and severe problem behavior and I've been talking with the research office at my university to see if any international grant funding opportunities are available that can be used to start programs and train professionals in other countries. I don't know anyone in my field who is doing work in Jamaica and I haven't been able to find out much about the services for kids with developmental disabilities in Jamaica (especially rural areas) online or in professional journals. Does anyone know of any resources that could help me learn more about available services in Jamaica? If I can find an appropriate need and match it up with a funding source, I hope to be able to give something back to the island where we had such a lovely honeymoon!

If you cannot find specifically what you are looking for, look at the Issa Trust Foundation, although not specifically what you are looking for, it is a great place to make a donation to help Jamaican children

Contact me at ya.mon22304@yahoo.com for some local Jamaican contacts.

Were you ever able to find any information? I have just returned and also want to help. kendallrae@gmail.com

Please contact the ISSA Foundation - a wonderful and caring organization. From our own experience they will gladly help you. We are normally there in Sept and they have volunteer doctors and nurses come and give their services to the children. Donations and supplies are always needed.

Having volunteered for Special Ed and the Special Olympics over the years, these children have a special spot in my heart too!

Jamaica loyalists since 1980 (our honeymoon)