Default Any extra fees at CN????

I will be going to CN in December for the first time. Are there any extra fews when you get to the resort? For example: incidentals or anything like that. If so, do you give them a credit card or cash?

You will need to provide $250 security deposit when you arrive. This is normally done with them taking an imprint of your credit card. If no charges are made to your room then it is returned to you when you depart with no charges made.

Unless you go off resort or want to buy souvenirs then you really need little if any money on the resort.

There is a NO TIPPING policy at Couples so that is something you need not worry about. Buying rum or things to bring home would be your only expenses.

We have in the past brought $250.00 US in small bills $1 $5 & $10 and have always managed to return home with $$$ in our pocket and yet have purchesed enough rum to last us a little while.

You really do not need that much cash, Credit cards are taken everywhere. We take 1's and 5's for tipping on the way over. If you buy anything from office of nature or vendors they only take cash. You can charge gift shop items to your room

We returned with lots of extra cash. I noticed a few things about tipping that I found interesting. First of all, the resort as a whole frowns on it. But, if you talk to certain workers privately, they will accept your money. I was a tad bit dismayed at that. Not because I"m stingy with my money, but because I thought the whole idea of going down there was to lock my money away and not have to worry about it. This is what I saw: While eating at 8 rivers, we enjoyed a wonderful meal as did the couple sitting next to us. The couple sitting next to us left a 5 dollar tip under the water glass. I was a tad bit irked because we had the same waitress and I thought, "now that waitress is going to think I'm a jerk because I didn't leave anything." Heck, I didn't even have any cash on me! So, then I got to worrying about whether or not the whole tip thing was really just something the resort said, but it was sort of expected on the sly. It made my mind race, and I was disturbed.

Also, several excursion, although included in the stay, expect tips. We went on the catamaran and I was in a swimsuit and wearing a towel. Took a camera and a hat. NO cash. AT the end of the trip, they stood outside on the dock with a box asking for tips. Had I know, I probably would have brought some, but then I would have had to worry about putting the cash somewhere where it stays dry. Ugh! IT was frustrating.

That was just my experience. I know there will be responses that say, "you shouldn't tip, etc.," And I agree.. But if you sit and watch people (I'm a people watcher) you will observe things going on that perhaps you didn't expect.

===============================================

Hello, this is Seandymon. Tipping is not included for any Couples Staff member. If you tip them and they get caught, they will lose their jobs. You can tip at the spa and on the cat cruise (not couples employees) Offsite excursions and at the airport tips will be asked for. PLEASE DO NOT TIP COUPLES STAFF!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RDYJMJM View Post
    You will need to provide $250 security deposit when you arrive. This is normally done with them taking an imprint of your credit card. If no charges are made to your room then it is returned to you when you depart with no charges made.

Unless you go off resort or want to buy souvenirs then you really need little if any money on the resort.

There is a NO TIPPING policy at Couples so that is something you need not worry about. Buying rum or things to bring home would be your only expenses.

We have in the past brought $250.00 US in small bills $1 $5 & $10 and have always managed to return home with $$$ in our pocket and yet have purchesed enough rum to last us a little while.
    So, just to be sure. You give them your credit card (do debit cards count if there is a visa logo on them), and they take an imprint. Am I correct in saying that they only charge the card if you purchase something or do they charge the 250 then give it back at end of trip if not used?

Other than those already mentioned, there is a seperate wine list, not the house wine, but wines available at a cost... Phone calls will cost you, other than that, there are no "hidden" fee's at Couples, another one of the beautiful things about Couples Resorts, and one of the many reasons we all keep going back!

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjackson View Post
    So, just to be sure. You give them your credit card (do debit cards count if there is a visa logo on them), and they take an imprint. Am I correct in saying that they only charge the card if you purchase something or do they charge the 250 then give it back at end of trip if not used?
    First of all: Yes, debit cards do count if they have the Visa logo.

Just be aware of the pitfalls of using a debit card instead of a credit card for a "hold", and you'll be ok.

One thing that does cost extra and is well worth the cost is the night snorkeling. I think it's $35/person. It was amazing and gives you the opportunity to see creatures you'd never see during the day. I would highly recommend it!

Uh.......... what are the pitfalls of using a debit card?????
    Sorry, I am recently credit card free so this has never been an issue for me.

You really can spend an entire week at CN & check out without spending a penny more than you paid for your trip already if you want to. Now you do need tips for the luggage guys at the airport ($1 per bag) & the shuttle driver to & from the airport. The rest is really up to you as far as what you purchase or if you take a tour of some kind, go to the spa, etc. We go & don't spend much - we used to but .......... been there, done that so normally just spend our time lounging around the resort & doing the daily activities that go with your package. There is plenty to do there that does not cost a thing extra. Like has already been said, they do require a $250 deposit on check-in. We give them a credit card & when we check out owing nothing, there is no charge on it. If you charge gift shop purchases, spa treatments, etc. to your room, you have the option of paying cash for them when you check out or putting them on the credit card. We go with $400 & come home with almost all of it. We spend more eating at the airport during our connecting flight than we do all week at CN. There is no hidden fees so don't worry.
    Julie

There are no extra fees at CN. I have never felt pressured to give tips. I never carried a purse or money at any time. When we left the resort, we did not owe a dime. I took a little cash and put it in the safe to buy a few small gifts and that was all I spent. It is meant to be a peaceful, relaxing, no pressure trip and it certainly was for us.

When we were there at the end of June we did not want to use our credit card so we took the amount of cash we needed for our trip. When they asked for a card we asked if they could take a cash deposit. They asked if we were planning on charging anything to our room we said no so she took a fifty dollar cash deposit. When we checked out they gave our fifty dollars cash back.

They just imprint the card. They do not put any charges on it unless you charge something to your room and tell them at the end of your stay that you want it on your credit card.
    Kristen

mrsjackson

They will take an imprint of your credit card and if charges are made you will sign to verify the charges if not it will be returned to you unused.

Debit cards as mentioned with the Visa logo on them are acceptable. Just understand that it is direct on your bank account and the transaction is not complete until you have entered your PIN number.

Congratulations on being credit card free!

For more direct information on the card issue if you need better clarification or direct info, contact Couples and they will be more than happy to assist you.