Thread: Snorkel Gear

Default Snorkel Gear

Is it better to bring your own, or does CSA provide snorkels? I can't seem to get past the idea of so many mouths being on them.

I can't speak for CSA directly, but I know CTI provided gear. You can bring your own, though. The wife and I brought our snorkel gear, including fins, next visit we're just going to bring the mask / snorkels and use the resorts fins. The fins just take up way too much luggage space to make it worthwhile. If we were both divers, then I suspect we'd pack our own gear, but she never got past the closed water sessions (nerves.)

I suspect the resort does a thorough job of cleaning and disinfecting the snorkels, but I agree, it'd be kind of odd wondering just how many other people have used it (although you'd run into the same problem with rental dive gear like the regulators...)

I guess my suggestion would be, if you've got your own mask and snorkel, bring them, but leave the fins.

Jason

I bring my own mask and snorkel. I use the resorts flippers. My husband wears prescription goggles, but uses the resorts snorkel and flippers. I just feel more comfortable using my own.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelleandJ View Post
    ...I can't seem to get past the idea of so many mouths being on them.
    For this very reason, we bring our own gear. The quality of the mask/snorkel are fine, but the $30 or $40 is worth the peace of mind of knowing how many mouths have used the snorkel!

I bring our own mask and snorkel and use resort fins as they take up more space. I also have the "dry" snorkels so I like them better.

It is not entirely necessary to bring your own, as they will provide you with a set. However, there have been a lot of mouths on the ones they provide. They clean them regularly in some sort of solution. We used them and didnt have any reservations....With that being said, we are bringing our own when we return in June. Plus, it was a great gift idea for my wife.. Enjoy

Haha. I would like to know as well.

CSA provides the snorkels, masks, and fins. If you have your own snorkel, bring it. It doesn't take up much room in your luggage. They do disinfect the snorkel gear after every trip, but since we have our own snorkel equipment we bring ours.

My friend you have your answer in the last sentance. I will buy my own as i intend to use it a least once a day and just borrow flipers

have a great time. we are there in April 2012

Colonel k

They will provide them for the trips. If you want to go on your own, you may want to bring your own.
    Irie Mon

i have only been to CN, but i would assume the proceedure is the same at all four couples ... they are very diligent about cleaning/sanitizing the snorkel gear after every use when they get back to the dive hut. That said, we are going to bring our own snorkels along on our upcoming trip in April (#4), simply because both my husband and i have not had a lot of luck with ours sealing very well. Some seal better than others, but i think the snorkel trips will be a lot more fun if i didn't have to come up every few minutes to dump all the water out. They don't take up much room, and we do tend to go out and snorkel almost every morning, so it's a pretty important part of our trips.

We like to bring our own googles and snorkels. We like to snorkel off the beach. There may not be much to see. But, I love swimming around with my own googles any time I want.
    One Love,
    Mya

I agree that the fins take up a lot of space in the luggage. However, I've found that sometimes getting ones that fit your feet can be a problem and it's worth it to me to take my own gear including my fins. I have smaller feet and it seems they only carry one or two pair in my size so sometimes it can be a problem. Ultimately it depends how often you want to snorkle I guess whether that part is worth it. I agree with the others that say take your own mask and snorkle, freaks me out thinking of all the other mouths on that snorkle...I don't care how much disinfecting they do, I never drink out of a glass at a restaurant I always use a straw because the mouths on the glass bug me. To each his own.

Thanks everyome! We got a really nice set at Costco for $49. Has a water clearance mask that you can empty without surfacing and a dry snorkel. Something called "flex fins" that propel you better apparently....

I imagine all Costcos carry them.

You've all been a tremendous help

Nothing worng with what they have to use, but we bought our own to bring since we plan on snorkeling more than on vacation.

RachelleandJ We got ours at Costco as well, and even though they do take up some room and weight in
    your luggage, its nice to be able to snorkel right off the beach any time you want to.
    Also, speaking of Costco, we have booked out trip through Costco Travel for 2 out of our 3 trips and their price was better than any other travel site or agency.

Great tip for next time. I have a feeling I'm going to want to book as soon as we get back