Thread: CSA first timer

Default CSA first timer

My fiance and I are going to be first timers for our honeymoon in October. If anyone can offer any advice for the trip and an idea of the usual weather in mid to late October i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

we just got back from 3rd trip and it was amazing as always. Best advice- don't overpack. You will pretty much live in your bathing suit and casual shorts/t-shirts. I bring a couple of nicer things for dinners but nothing fancy needed (unless you go to Feathers and that's dressier....we did this once but prefer all the other dining options, like the open air better). Another tid-bit: try everything if you have time.....try every restaurant, take the catamaran trip, snorkel, try the various bars, hit the shipwreck party on Friday night. Even with all that you will still have LOTS of time to relax on the beach!!! I miss it already.....

First off, you have chosen the best resort for your honeymoon. CSA is beautiful and romantic.

The weather can be unpredictable. We always go in October and the first 2 times the weather was great. Not too hot, not too cold with occasional afternoon showers for a bit. The last time there was a tropical storm (it is hurricane season) and CSA was literally swept away. We were diverted to CTI for the week.

Not sure what category room you are staying in, but if it's BFVS, OVS, or GVS then request a corner room once you get there. The are windows and the verandah is open on two sides. If in a beach front room I've heard the 1st floor is the best because you can walk in and out your verandah door and be right there on the beach. I prefer 3rd floor because of view and privacy.

Make sure to check out the Martini Bar above the Palms for some before dinner cocktails. Go snorkeling (you have to sign up the day before). It is so relaxing and romantic and cool. Walk across the street to the sports complex. It's an awesome facility and the spa is over there too. Take a night time stroll across the property. During the day, go to the beach and take a left and just walk.....there are vendors/bars/restaurants and lots to discover and soak in.

I am so happy for you and wish your CSA stay to be the best ever. Just relax and enjoy each other. They'll even bring drinks to you while you lay on the beach! It's awesome. I can't wait to get back.

Thank you both for your replies. I cant wait to go. I have been looking forward to this since we got engaged last january. I am torn between the GHVS and the Atrium - not sure which one to pick but i will be making my reservation soon!

We have only tried the Atrium rooms. We LOVE them. They do not cost that much more than the GHVS. Hammocks are nice to have out on the veranda. You will love it there no matter what you choose. Best wishes to you!!! We are going back in June.

Kremit,
    You only get one honeymoon (hopefully) so go for and get the Atrium room. Unless of course, you cannot due without TV. The Atrium Suites do not have tv's but they are awesome. Get a second floor room if you can, they have the vaulted ceilings.
    Enjoy and congrats
    Mick

I did decide on the atrium suite for the trip. At this point i am so excited to go i wish it was october right now!

I suppose either floor would be nice in the Atriums . Vaulted ceilings and the view would be awesome but we liked getting our breakfast served on the veranda.

atriums are my favorite. We have been 2x. Like others have said, try everthing. Snorkel, cat cruise, all the restaurants. The talent show is amazing. Palms is the buffet restaurant and that was our favorite as it is very casual and has a variety of food. But all food is good. Sit back and enjoy. Take very little, I bring about 5 swim suits, 3 pairs of shorts, a skirt or 2, 1 tank top for each day a few sundresses and a black dress (for feathers) . If you want to dress up more, than bring more dresses. I'm laid back and prefer my shorts and a tank top for most things. Relax and soak up the sun. You will be "home" before you know it. Once you go you know. You will leave craving more.

I'm going to be a CSA first timer on my honeymoon in July! Can't wait! Any tips for us?!?

Tara,
    Go with a bucket list, and try it all. Check out the thread "I wish I would have thought of that".
    Do the cat cruise and have them teach you to handle the Hobie Cat sailboats. When we were there last the Steel Drum band was Thursday evening, this is a do not miss!!

Mick

Take an evening and/or afternoon and eat off the resort at one of the local places. Its really worth it. We will do lunch at a road side place for some great jerk (Like Best of the West... its walking distance) and then do a nice dinner at a restaurant in Negril. Its actually something new we started doing and I dont know why we hadnt done it sooner. We always just stayed on the resort. We had no idea what we were missing.
    If you are looking to do an excursion without breaking the bank I would suggest parasailing. Its $50-$60 a person (depending on how good of a negotiator you are) and its SOOOOOOO worth it. The guys are amazing and view is priceless. Its the only excursion we pay for now every year and it never gets old. You can do it together and we just love it. Elvis is the guy to see.... he will be the walking the beach. If you dont know who he is there will be other guests around that will know who he is or ask one of the security guards.

Couples Ocho Rios 2005/2006
    CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

Quote Originally Posted by jmckenzie21 View Post
    atriums are my favorite. We have been 2x. Like others have said, try everthing. Snorkel, cat cruise, all the restaurants. The talent show is amazing. Palms is the buffet restaurant and that was our favorite as it is very casual and has a variety of food. But all food is good. Sit back and enjoy. Take very little, I bring about 5 swim suits, 3 pairs of shorts, a skirt or 2, 1 tank top for each day a few sundresses and a black dress (for feathers) . If you want to dress up more, than bring more dresses. I'm laid back and prefer my shorts and a tank top for most things. Relax and soak up the sun. You will be "home" before you know it. Once you go you know. You will leave craving more.
    Was there a laundry service available?

jmckenzie21 is sooooo right "Once you go, you know. You will leave craving more"!!!!

284 more days! Can't wait to get there. I am so glad I found couples for my honeymoon. To think before I found CSA I was thinking of going to the "S". That would have been a big mistake!

How long is the bus ride from the airport to CSA?

Kremit - you will have a fantastic time! We return in May. The bus ride is about hour and half to 2 hours but the scenery is fantastic. You'll be glad you didn't choose the "S" resort once you walk the beach. None of the resorts on that stretch of beach have a beach as nice and as clean as CSA. Enjoy!!

On average, the bus trip is 1 hour fifteen minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by kremit80 View Post
    How long is the bus ride from the airport to CSA?
    about an hour and forty minutes which includes a stop at roadside stand for a biology break. $5.00 a piece for a cold Red Stripe at the break if you desire
    enjoy

Mick

Hey kremit80 we are going to be first timers to CSA (not to couples though) in 277 days, so we will probably be there at the same time. We are going for a little different reason although actually related to your reason. We will be celebrating our 40th anniversary. 2 other couples are going with us to help celebrate that milestone. Of course in just 27 days we will be going home to Couples Negril.

dont overpack!! i decided to ditch are expensive hardcase bags and opted for large rolling duffles. Even with are dive gear, we only bring 2 rolling duffles under 50lb limitations. Lots of swimsuits and at least one pair of pants and closed toe shoes for your husband! Bring BUGSPRAY! and put on right at dusk! Try it all!!! The only thing i dont recommend is the offsite shopping excursion...you have 2 hours in the airport to shop for booze and coffee and great vendors on the beach for keepsakes........Enjoy and remember that you are on island time. After 23 visits it still takes me about 3 days to slow down and enjoy!!!
    Have a great trip!!

Default CSA Fun!!

We got married last May at CSA & loved it!! We are headed back for our 1st wedding anniversary this May. we loved Patios for breakfast every morning, their smoothies are great! We always seemed to end up at Palms for lunch, seagrass was nice for a snack of sweet potato chips. We tried feathers & usually had the Palms for dinner. We did the private dinner on the beach & it was so romantic, if you have a little extra cash you should try it for sure. We went shopping & took a walk to margaritaville instead of the shuttle, its only a 10 minute walk down. My husband jumped off the cliff at ricks cafe, the next day we both needed massages & let me tell you they do great job with those also. My favorite night was the pirates beach party on the beach. Enjoy!!

We went to CSA in October 2011 for our honeymoon. It was amazing! It only rained a couple of times and cleared right up, so we were very pleased w/ the weather. Don't check the forecast - it will say rain every day. I also agree with the previous poster, BRING BUG SPRAY. Bugs have always loved me, and the first couple of days, I had welts on my legs from the bugs (I didn't even realize there were bugs biting me b/c you can't even see them). After that, I used the deet spray we brought and didn't have a problem. Our favorite place to eat was Lemongrass but we LOVE thai. Favorite drinks were Dirty Bananas and Cherry Fizz. Vodka & Ting is also amazing. I wish they sold Ting in the states - its like Squirt but BETTER Enjoy your time! We are hoping to go back in 5 years!