Hybrid View

Default Second visit to Sans Souci not as perfect as the first - a long recap

In 2006 we visited our first Couples resort, Sans Souci and since then have been to all the others. Our first stay we were in a beachfront suite in Bldg. B on the top floor (B-26). The room was great with a wonderful view and very convenient but the balcony was small. So, for this year's trip (12/16-12/23) we decided to book a one bedroom ocean suite and were planning to ask upon check -in to be in Bldg. F or G if at all possible. Much to our surprise we were upgraded to a Penthouse Suite in Bldg. E! We had a top floor corner room (E-9) with a large balcony, separate living room , full kitchen, and lots of closets. The bedroom did not face the water but had a nice view out to a pretty patio area. The bathroom was quite small with a tub/shower combo and was in need of some refurbishing but very clean and that's all we really care about. Loved being in Bldg. E. It is pretty much in the center of the resort and close to the lobby and Casanova and the internet cafe, etc. We were on the end of the building furthest from the Balloon Bar and closest to Bldg. D. We could hear the entertainment at night from our balcony if we chose to stay in. The steps up to Bldg. E really weren't bad but we are used to stairs so for some they could be difficult. We were very happy with our room and really appreciated the upgrade. Now to the disappointing aspects. Room only cleaned before 4:00 PM one day out of seven. Had turn down service only three nights out of seven. Never had any towel art at all. None of these things are a big deal but I mention them in comparison to our earlier stay.
    We had water problems throughout the week. Our bathroom sink did not drain properly and our A/C unit in the living room leaked one day so much so that one of our beach towels could not absorb all the water. It took two days for the sink to be fixed but the A/C unit was repaired promptly. Another day there was a water main break and we had no water and when we got it back it was cold only. The pressure was not good throughout the week and sometimes it was difficult to get the shampoo out of your hair. Again, most of these things could not be helped as the resort is old.
    Food was good with many choices. Service at breakfast was a little overbearing. There were many trainees and several times my plate and utensils were taken away before I was through. Lunch service was very good and we enjoyed the varied dishes. We ate at the beach grill for a late lunch on the day we arrived and the food was just okay. The Gala and Beach Party buffets were very good.
    We found the service at Casanova to be very rushed. The food was good and we had dinner outside
    on a beautiful evening but we definitely got the feeling that they wanted us to hurry up and be gone even thought there were empty tables.
    We had dinner at Pallazina twice. The first evening the food and service were excellent! Our waitress was Maureen who we remembered from our first visit. She is a delight! Our second time was lobster night and dinner took 2 1/2 hours. It was difficult to sit that long.
    We went to the repeater's dinner on Thursday our last night. They tried to make it very special but unfortunately the menu was not appealing to me at all.
    The night we went to the beach grill we got rained on. Everyone had to move inside but the chairs were soaked and turning the cushions over did not help much. The meal was pretty much ruined and I felt sorry for the staff.
    The weather was not the best either. Most days were overcast and three out of 6 days all watersports were cancelled due to winds and rough surf. We did manage to take out a
    catamaran twice and do some wind surfing and wake boarding. We used the gym every day and enjoyed the hot tub near the main pool. The hot tub above the mineral pool did not look appealing to us.
    The beach was somewhat disappointing after being at the resorts in Negril. The bottom was full of seaweed and very murky and uneven in many spots.
    We did the Chukka river tubing trip which was a lot of fun but that was the only off resort excursion we did this time. We had previously been to Dunn's River Falls and also had done the Zip Line with Chukka.
    All in all this review may seem quite negative to some; however, many of the negative aspects were not the fault of Couples. We did have an enjoyable week and met some wonderful couples and staff. It just did not live up to (or perhaps are memories are failing us) our first visit. Will we return to Sans Souci?...probably not but are already thinking about a return trip to Couples Negril. .

Hi-
    Me and my boyfriend stayed in E-9 in April 2011 and had the best time ever. We didn't have any issues with the A/C or water. Housekeeping came every day without fail which was great, and while we didn't get any towel art our housekeeper was so nice that it didn't even bother us. As far as the weather, it was fantastic. April weather was amazing at the resort. I think the only time it rained was early morning like 7am for maybe an hour and that was only for one or two days and we were there for seven days. Again I am sorry that things didn't work out for you, but I for one can not wait to return in 2013. Going to try CSA this time.

Oh my! we are headed back to CSS in may. I am booked for the beachfront and am hoping for B (actually b19!) We stayed at CN back in 07 and while it was fabulous, we really missed CSS. I am glad you wrote this review, because it's honest. Well now you know that CN or CSA is more along your preferences.

Cheers,
    kelly