Default Need some info on Couples Negril

I' ve read some reviews, etc. but still have some questions, we'll be visiting in April:

Workout Room: What type of equipment is there and is it working OK? I'm looking for treadmill, a bike, and some weight-strength equipment. Got to work off the food/booze!

Main Beach: Says in the FAQ's that topless is allowed. How prevalent is it? I'm not a prude, just want to be prepared when me and the wife hit the beach.

Clothing: Is Dockers/sport shirt dressed-up enough to get into the "fancy" restaurants? I really don't want to bring a sport coat, want to wear shorts, trunks, jeans most of the time. I have to dress for work every day, and just want to chill out and not worry about "dress codes".

We were just at CN last month.
    Workout room: can't help you there, as we never went in it. Looked to be a little on the small side, but seemed to have all the basic equipment. Plus there are various fitness classes offered (in the pool as well as the fitness area).

Main beach: We were there 12/11 thru 12/17 and noticed maybe a handful of topless women on the beach at any given time. It really wasn't all that noticeable, as usually people were just sunbathing on their chairs topless, rather than strolling around the beach. However, if you sit down toward the "left" side of the beach near the Au Natural area, you WILL see people going into/out of the water in the buff. This didn't bother us a bit, but just a heads-up for you.

Clothing: I believe for the one restaurant that requires reservations (Otaheite) you need to wear pants. Per the Couples policy: "Cocktail Elegant (no jeans; jacket optional)". I'd say bring one nice pair of pants for that restaurant and a collared shirt. Oh and closed-toed shoes. For the rest of the places, nice shorts and decent shirts are fine. Sport coat will not be necessary. Some people will be really dressy, as that's their personal preferance. We also saw a few people walking around at night in beach clothing...I wish they would have stuck to the "dress codes" and classed it up just a little.

I've been to CN twice and going back in 3 weeks. The weight room has some dumbells, universal gym equipment, and treadmills. The topless is not overly prevalent, but you will find it more towards the beach at the AN entrance. You will find some elsewhere. Dinner is dress casual. Khaki pants and a collared shirt. Have fun.

Yes, Yes, and Yes.
    Workout rooms have everything you are looking for! My wife is a exercise person, me not so much. And she found more then enough equipment at CN.

You will see a bit of topless on the main beach, but not alot. IF you want to see more, head over beyond the hedges, and hang out on the all nude beach. Hey no one knows you there, you live once, give it a try. We did, and were still alive!

No jackets required, dress shirt means collared, either a short sleeve button up, polo shirt will do. If you want, a light long sleeve. But its still very chill!

You will love CN, walk the beach toward Office of Nature, its fun to do!

There's good stuff in the workout room. It has treadmills, bikes, weights, and the weight-strength machines. There is also a personal trainer available -free- just make an appointment at the Spa desk. You probably won't see many topless ladies...depends on how crowded the resort is and how many are from Europe at that time. I think the fancy restaurant says long pants for men. Dockers and sport shirt would be fine. It is "fine dining" so think of going to a 5-star restaurant...My husband wears long pants on the plane and that can double for his fancy restaurant pants.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundraGuy View Post
    I' ve read some reviews, etc. but still have some questions, we'll be visiting in April:

Workout Room: What type of equipment is there and is it working OK? I'm looking for treadmill, a bike, and some weight-strength equipment. Got to work off the food/booze!

Main Beach: Says in the FAQ's that topless is allowed. How prevalent is it? I'm not a prude, just want to be prepared when me and the wife hit the beach.

Clothing: Is Dockers/sport shirt dressed-up enough to get into the "fancy" restaurants? I really don't want to bring a sport coat, want to wear shorts, trunks, jeans most of the time. I have to dress for work every day, and just want to chill out and not worry about "dress codes".
    Workout room is pretty nice. Look at the 360 degree photos on the CN site. It has everything you need. I've used it for strength and cardio workouts. Cardio machines, free weights, weight machines, etc.

There are a ferw sporadic topless sunbathers on the main beach, but the full-nude is confined to a hedged-in area on the far south end of the beach. You won't ever see unless you go over there.

Yes, your shirts are fine. Definitely do not bring a coat. I wear a polo or Tommy Bahama-style button-up to dinner every night, whether to Otaheite or not. The only difference is the pants. Must wear pants and closed-toe shoes to Otaheite. Every other night is shorts and sandals.

Frozen, workout room has all that you are looking for and some more.
    Topless is a very small amount, average 1 to 3 a day,
    Dockers and button down sport shirt are fine, just need closed shoes (for men).

The equipment you mentioned is in the workout room and in good shape. Don't know brand names.

You will see some topless but it is rather the rarity I think then the norm. Either that or I am blind or just too old to pay much attention. Of course there was that ............

I usually wear Dockers, and a golf shirt or an Hawaiian type shirt to the fancy restaurant. As long as it is not blue jeans or shorts. A shirt with a collar, not sleeveless and closed toes shoes you should be good to go.

We never actually use the workout room when at CN but did walk in this trip to look around at what all they had & there were several treadmills, bikes, etc & several different weight machines for different parts of the body ... Looked in really good shape to us ... Not sure if there were any free weights or not .... There were signs on a couple of the items saying "out of order". Didn't hear anyone that we talked to that used it daily mention any problems & it was very clean looking.

You will probably see a few topless women on the main beach .... It will vary of course but I'd say maybe 3 or 4 on some days & none on others .... You may not even notice them because normally, they are just laying on their chairs & not up walking around without their tops .... It's not anything that should bother you or your wife. It's not "in your face" if you know what I mean.

Dockers & a sport shirt with a collar (polo or button down) is totally fine for the "fancy" place ... No jacket or tie needed .... Shorts will be fine at the other places .... Don't see many jeans but they are OK. The main thing at night is to just not look like you just walked in off the beach - nicer than swim trunks & a t-shirt for sure .... At lunch & breakfast, that's fine, though. That's why we LOVE CN because you don't have get all dressed up unless you want to.
    Julie

We were there in October, but sad to say didn't venture into the workout room. It looked smallish, but not sure what is inside.

The main beach does allow topless. We were there 8 days and were on the beach everyday until early afternoon. I only saw one woman who was sunbathing topless. There were lots of guys that were topless though! lol

Dockers and a sport shirt should be fine for the fancy restaurant. Everywhere else shorts and shirt are fine. I'd recommend going to Otaheite (the fancy restaurant) at least once. We went twice and enjoyed it both times. Our favorite restaurant was Lychee. The Pad Thai was delish and the Lychee martinis were yummy.

Enjoy your stay. A perfect place to relax, renew and recharge.

Workout room - Very nice, air conditioned, and everything you need.

Beach - We didn't see topless at all, but then didn't walk around looking for it either.

Clothing for nice restaurants - I'd take a pair or two of casual dress pants such as khaki, etc., and any collared shirt will do. Shoes need to be closed toed.

From what I remember last year there were weight machines. I don't remember the type of machines they were. I want to say they were like Paramount. They were not Hammer Strength. There were treadmills and bikes. They worked fine for me! Topless is allowed on the main beach. You will see a few breasts but the vast majority of women do not go free. Enjoy the sights, its vacation! CN does have an AN section which is seperated off by a hedge. It is easy enough to go to the other side of the beach if that makes you uncomfortable. You may on occassion sen an AN'er walk out to the water. No big deal, in my book.

I wore khakis and a polo or button down last year and that was fine.

We are going back for our second trip in a month. We loved it a year ago and can't wait. The people, staff, location, food, atmosphere, entertainment are excellent.

I hope you guys have fun! You picked an excellent resort to vacation at!

The fitness room is adequate, containing the things you are lookiong for. I don't remember the brand of equipment, but everything worked fine when I was there in 2011. There is a variety of machines and some free weights.

It is quite common to see a small percentage of women topless on the main beach, and it doesn't seem at all out of place. Couples Negril is very relaxed and natural, so the occasional "missing top" fits right in with the vibe. Of course, there is an A/N section that has more missing than tops, but again, the atmosphere is realxed an casual, so to me, the A/N section is fine too.

Dokcers pants and a collared shirt are suitable for the Otahite (you can leave the sport coat at home), and this is the only restaurant which specifies a dress code. Dress in the evening at the other restaurants is a mix...about half the couples dress in slacks and sun desses, while there are many others who wear shorts. I suggest leaving the jeans at home (it's pretty rare to see jeans).

Shorts and/or swim trunks are all you need during the day. And keep a shirt and sandals on hand for breakfast / lunch in the restaurants.

Hope this info helps, and enjoy your vacation.

Thanks to all that replied, gave me the info I needed. I did look at the photo gallery for CN, no pics of fitness room that I found, that's why I asked.

oxbgirl - can you give me some for info on the personal trainer comment that you made

"There is also a personal trainer available -free- just make an appointment at the Spa desk."

This sounds interesting - how long are the sessions? how many can you get? who gives them?

Thanks,

Jenni

My husband works out and he finds the room and equipment great.

The last time we were there, we didn't see any topless women on the beach. It seems to be more a European thing, so the number of women you see could well depend on the clientele when you're there. I just look the other way.

All of the restaurants other than Otaheite are VERY casual. Women and men can wear shorts and a T-shirt (men are expected to have sleeves on their Ts). Otaheite is long pants and a polo shirt for men and the equivalent for women. Most wear sundresses or slacks/skirts and a top. It's not onerous.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundraGuy View Post
    Thanks to all that replied, gave me the info I needed. I did look at the photo gallery for CN, no pics of fitness room that I found, that's why I asked.
    It's not in the photo gallery, it's in the "map & 360 view" link. Click on "gym"