Hybrid View

Default Chef Spath's Pumpkin Soup Recipe

Island Pumpkin Soup
    with toasted pumpkin seeds and garlic oil

Ingredients (for 8 portions):

4 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium size onion (peeled and finely diced)
    1 tablespoon fresh ginger (peeled and finely chopped)
    4 cloves garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
    1 pound pumpkin (peeled and cut into ¼” cubes)
    small bunch of fresh thyme
    ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
    6 cups chicken stock
    1 cup coconut milk (unsweetened)
    Salt & black pepper to taste

Garnish:

2 oz pumpkin seeds
    1/3 cup olive oil
    3 garlic cloves (peeled)

Method:

In a heavy saucepan heat the olive oil. Sauté onion, ginger and garlic and add diced pumpkin. Sauté for about 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, the coconut milk, fresh thyme and the red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes (until pumpkin is cooked). Remove from the stove and blend in a food processor (blender). Put back on the fire and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.

To serve:

¬Place 1/3 of a cup of extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan together with 3 roughly chopped garlic cloves. Heat slightly and allow the oil to infuse for about 15 minutes. Strain. On a baking sheet toast 2 oz of pumpkin seeds in the oven until crunchy (375 degrees Fahrenheit). Poor soup into warmed soup plates. Finish with some garlic oil and the toasted pumpkin seeds.

Bottom note:

• In order to have a less spicy soup, cut the amount on ginger in half and omit the red pepper flakes

Couples Resorts

Thank you, thank you, thank you - Paul had me try to look for the recipe the other day!

You're the Best!

Thank you!!

Yum! Not sure if I can get fresh pumpkin though at this time of year. I will have too look.
    Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by Vickyj View Post
    ... Not sure if I can get fresh pumpkin though at this time of year. ...
    Make sure you get "Jamaican pumpkin" (some places also refer to them as "calabash" or "Caribbean pumpkin") as it tastes much different than the normal (for the U.S.) pumpkin. Our mistake in doing this once was clarified by a local Caribbean eatery and verified upon our next visit to Couples by the chef himself.
    This recipe looks exactly the same as given to us there a few years ago (including "poor soup". Which is rich, indeed).

You may need to go to a farmer's market to get the correct type of pumpkin.
    Last edited by rudi; January 12th, 2012 at 11:39 AM.

Thank you, I love CTI's pumpkin soup!
    Dianavr

This is my favorite soup! Thanks much!

Made this for dinner tonight! It was delicious and made me feel a tiny bit closer to home
    I subbed in a can and a half of pumpkin as it was my only option, but it turned out great.

Love the recipes and hope to see them more often!