Hybrid View

Default US Air prices are awfully high

What is going on with airfare? With the economy the way it is right now, I would think that airfare prices would be down. The price for 2 tickets to Jamaica on a direct flight out of Phila. is now just about $1,400. Last year, I paid $1,000 for the same flight. WTH is going on?

Fewer flights, seats more expensive.

When are you going? Are you planning Saturday to Saturday?
    Did you check Air Jamaica? They only fly out of Philly every other Saturday so you may need to adjust your days if you plan Saturday to Saturday but I put in a theoretical 11/7/09-11/14/09 which kicked out 11/6/09 since the seventh is an off day and coming back 11/14/09 and the price is 890 for 2 people.

We just paid $1400 for tickets to Mobay from Kansas City on Continental Airlines. We didn't care too much because we wanted to get to get to Couples SS at ANY COST for next May.

When are going? Flights are pretty reasonable in January.

We can relate - flights are too expensive and the flight times stink!! Very Distressing!!

Between the cost of the flight and the time changes of the flights (even worse) may just be a deal breaker..
    Art xo Francine

Default I've been wondering the same thing

CMoore - I don't get the whole vacation price thing either. We have been traveling to Jamaica almost every year since 1998 & the prices are higher than they ever have been & I do not get it. We normally have went in February for my birthday but the prices are over $1000 more the last winter & this coming winter than I have ever seen them. Last winter I searched & searched & the prices just never dropped down to what they normally were & so far they are not going down for this February either. They are even higher for the "off season" like September or the first part of December than they always were in February & that is what I don't understand. You hear about all these great deals & that noone is traveling because of the economy but someone must be paying these prices or they would have to drop them. I look at several sights daily & I just don't get it. Right now it's not looking good for our winter escape to Couples unless something gives. Perks are nice to get you to book but for us it's the bottom line right now. This economy has really put a crimp in our life. Hope it improves soon.
    Julie

Yes we just flew US Air out of Charlotte to Montego Bay and the huge plane was packed-not ONE available seat. Also, we have seen many flights cancelled and a lot of consolidation.

wow. We paid a little under $800 for two NS tickets out of Philly. We booked in June.

Default Flights From England

The cost of Premium Economy from England is $3,200 for two of us.

You just have to keep checking rates like a mad person. I always find a decent rate doing that. US Air has been running really high this year. We usually fly out of Cincinati through Charlotte to MBJ on them. Found a flight on American out of Cincinnati through Miami this year for only $694 for two round trip complete! 3 hour layovers but for that price couldn't pass it up and like the Miami airport anyway - great cuban food. I check the seat availability on the flights I'm looking to book and wait until the price comes down or the planes start filling up which ever comes first. Have always got the best price so far doing that.
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

Thanks for all the responses. This is really upsetting as it is hard enough to come up with the money for the resort - I really didn't think I would have this much trouble with the airfare but $1,400 for a 3-hour flight is ridiculous. I did check Air Jamaica but I am afraid to book with them due to what is going on with them. I would presume US Air isn't going to lower the prices as the flight for April is already almost halfway full!

Quote Originally Posted by CMoore View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. This is really upsetting as it is hard enough to come up with the money for the resort - I really didn't think I would have this much trouble with the airfare but $1,400 for a 3-hour flight is ridiculous. I did check Air Jamaica but I am afraid to book with them due to what is going on with them. I would presume US Air isn't going to lower the prices as the flight for April is already almost halfway full!
    When are you going? Don't worry about booking way in advance. Just follow my above advise and you will find a better rate.
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

Baltimore to Montego Bay $598.00 non stop round trip for two on Air Jamiaca. CSS here we come!

We have booked with US Air for June. Airfare for two, round trip from St. Louis is just over $800. One stop down and back at Charlotte. If your schedule is flexible, check fares for different days of the week. US Air seems to have lower fares on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Other airlines for the same time period were $1000 and up. Ya just gotta keep lookin'.

Good luck.

Being a Buckeye it pains me to say this, but...I have always found great prices flying out of Detroit to MBJ. Much to my dismay it is always $50-$100 cheaper than flying from Columbus. If possible, look at other nearby airports for more options.

Booked our flt for November 09 on Air Jamaica $598.00 for two out of Baltimore. You can also take sw from Philly to Ft Lauderdale and catch Air jamaica from there to Montego Bay and still be well under $1000.00

You really need to check every day, or multiple times a day - even if you don't think you're ready to book. We normally buy our airline tickets for our April trips between October and December. This year we bought them in late May when they first came available - $660 for two, round trip. Within two weeks they were up to $610 each, and that's still about what they're going for.