Thread: CN beach?

Hybrid View

Default CN beach?

We are approaching our sixth visit to CN (March) and have been reading about how CSA beach is small once again. I was curious how CN's beach is looking. I believe the bay protects their beach somewhat. Can anyone who has recently been there comment or post photos? Thanks

Was just at CN over Christmas & the beach is fine ..... Just as wide as normal or pretty close & the water was totally clear with no sea grass or anything .... I did notice that when we were out in the water, it doesn't seem quite as deep out by the line that marks off the swim area .... It's usually just over my head (I'm a little over 5'6") & this time, it wasn't quite over my head --- at least not straight out from the pool bar. When we walked around the bay where all the vendors set up, though, the beach is about gone .... Usually when you walk along the water, you are quite aways from them but now, you walk right in front of their tents ... Ask some of them about it & they said that they'd be up on the road if the water came in any further. NO WORRIES at CN, though .... The beach is as perfect as ever.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by Maxernie View Post
    ... When we walked around the bay where all the vendors set up, though, the beach is about gone .... Usually when you walk along the water, you are quite aways from them but now, you walk right in front of their tents ....
    Julie - It was like that a few years ago as well. We've seen it go through a decrease/increase cycle a few times. When running/walking the part of the beach past the vendors sometimes there was 5 to 6 ft of beach from the trees and other times one had to go up around the trees (or get wet).

I'm not so convinced of the "nature taketh away, nature put back" theory for the beach at Long Bay. Long time-frame surveys have shown that overall the beach has decreased at certain points, but on Bloody Bay, for the past decade or so it seems to have cycled with some regularity.

When we at CN at Thanksgiving, it was beautiful as always. No changes from the other 6 times we've been there.

We were at CN the first week in December, and didn't notice any difference from our prior trip in Dec 2009. The beach was great except for a bunch of seaweed that washed in due to an offshore storm. The staff had it cleaned up quickly though. I don't think there's been any erosion.

While there, we did a trading places visit to CSA and found that beach to have suffered some erosion since our 2006 visit...but it was still gorgeous.

No worries.

We were there over New Years and I agree completely with Maxernies description. There was a cool front that came through with strong winds and the seaweed along CNs beach and in the water was unreal. Cleanup was two days and they brought in heavy machinery to pile it and bury it. However there was no erosion.
    We did trading places at CSA and we amazed at how much narrower the beach was in some parts compared to our visit last March. However it was much wider at the guard station going towards the Beaches resort. Last year you had to navigate over rocks to get by. Don't know if sand was moved there or if it was naturally filled in?
    Going in the other direction, the water was all the way up to the base of some of the buildings. There was at least 10-12 feet of frontage last year. Nature at work.

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to return home. I can imagine the sand between my toes and long walks at waters edge with the heat of the sun on my shoulders. 63 days to go.