Default Airfair - I'm NAUSEATED!

We aren't going to CTI until June (3rd) and have already prebooked our resort reservation through a TA. We haven't purchased airfair, as our TA said that after the New Year the rates would go down (in her past experience). Well they went up about 100$/each for each way! That's now like $3,000 just for Airfair for my hubs and I. I'm disgusted! If it doesn't go down we may have to cancel our trip!! This was suppose to be for our 10 year wedding anniversary and we haven't been anywhere since our Honeymoon. I'm so bummed.

Anyone have experience with travel and purchasing airfair?

I think it's time you look for a different airline and/or travel agent! We usually pay around $1000 for the two of us on a direct flight from Ontario, Canada, which is considerably further to Jamaica than what Texas is.
    (Karen&Paul)

Me again! I just went to expedia, and there are lots of flights, even direct, out of DFW, for a total of around $1400 for both of you!!
    (Karen&Paul)

Airfare in today's marketplace is a crap shoot! It normally does drop a little after NY, but with fuel prices rising it did not happen this year,----so far. Where are you flying from? Have you checked surrounding airports? Have you checked other dates forward and back? Sometimes going during the week is less expensive as long as you have a Saturday night stay. Good Luck

i just went up again. before xmas it was high, then it dropped. now back up.where are you flying from?

$3000?! Where are your flying from?

I've always found that on Tuesday/Wednesday nights, air fare seems to go down. You just have to watch and wait. We got our best deal 2 months before our trip (last year). Don't be bummed yet, rates are so erratic. Patience is key!

I never heard of airfare going down the closer to your intended travel dates. We always book as far in advance as possible. As usual we compared prices online using Expedia, Travelocity, Couples and the airlines directly. Again Expedia beat everyone hands down!

Quote Originally Posted by STB42002 View Post
    We aren't going to CTI until June (3rd) and have already prebooked our resort reservation through a TA. We haven't purchased airfair, as our TA said that after the New Year the rates would go down (in her past experience). Well they went up about 100$/each for each way! That's now like $3,000 just for Airfair for my hubs and I. I'm disgusted! If it doesn't go down we may have to cancel our trip!! This was suppose to be for our 10 year wedding anniversary and we haven't been anywhere since our Honeymoon. I'm so bummed.

Anyone have experience with travel and purchasing airfair?

WHERE are you coming from? Wow, $1500 per person!!!! We fly from San Diego and only pay about $500.00 per person.....

Wow, how can it cost that much from where you live?
    We flew first class direct from Edmonton Canada last winter for under $2000.00 and will be coming back in April and airfare is only about $1500.00 that is for two!
    PM me your travel dates and gateway if you want, I have an "in" and might be able to find you something more manageable!

Hello there,

We've been to CTI three times, all during the latter part of August. We usually book airfare about 2 to 3 months prior to arrival. American Airlines non stop from DFW to Montego Bay is our preferred travel method. The most we've spent is about $1K for the both of us....Have fun!

Where are you flying from?
    Go to several sights each day. Then go to the cheepest airline given and check their rate. United often has cheeper fares on their website than tavelocity or expedia.
    When it gets close to your budget book it. Mine has been cheeper by 4$0 total for the two of us once, and is usually 200-300 more.
    Figure out if going to another city for a night is worth it to get a better rate.

I agree with your Title...I feel nauseated for you! Wow...$3000 just for airfare...thats just crazy! I read somewhere that the best time to purchase airfare is 3 months prior to the date, but I haven't always found that to be true. I've actually only noticed the airfare go up as you get closer. For my last visit to Jamaica, I made the mistake of waiting til it got closer and ended up paying a few hundred more, plus I had to fly with US Airways because they were much cheaper, rather then fly with my beloved Air Jamaica. So, this time around I booked with Air Jamaica in November for our return to Couples in late May. And I'm glad I did, because it has already gone up about $300 since I booked. I hope you get some luck your way and the airfare does indeed go down as your TA has experienced in the past. I know the feeling of having to cancel (we had to last year because of money issues!) But don't give up hope yet!!

My best advice is research, research, and more research. Watch the prices constantly through one of the sites that does it for you (sorry but I can't remember names, I'm sure some one else will chime in with a site name). You need to be willing to fly at sometimes undesirable times of the day like arriving in Jamaica in the evening or leaving Jamaica on the first flight out. Be flexible. I won't promise you that the flights will come down and with the price of gas rising, I think they will go up, but keep your fingers crossed and have in mind what price you are willing to pay and be willing to jump on the price at a moments notice.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Yes our last trip to CN involved us booking the flight and hotel separately. From my experience, since you are traveling at a low time, flight prices should come down esp

This isn't what you're going to want to hear, but book now! Prices are only going to go up. Airlines are cutting routes which means fuller planes. They aren't running specials to get people into seats anymore, and fuel prices are expected to keep going up which will drive up the cost of tickets. My husband and I are going to CTI in December and we plan on booking tickets as soon as they are available.

We watch the airfare for months before we go. The go up and down, but seem to be the best 1 to 2 months before your departure.

I just did a quick inquiry through Orbitz. Flying direct from DFW to MBJ on American is $678 per person flying on 6/3/12 returning 6/11/12 (guessing). It is even cheaper if you want to make 1 stop, from $520 per person. Are you flying 1st class?

Our TA is awful to say the least. She quoted us wrong then referred us, after we said "Absolutely not!" to the cost, a airline that's been rated bad in DFW. What is she thinking. We know five couples who have used her previously, granted they booked more elaborate trips, but still I'd like better service. We looked and y'all are right. We saw about $1300 total for airfair. We sent her info - yet another problem. Why are WE doing the stress and work?!? After much back and forth we cancelled our agreement w her and thus our trip. We are sadly going another AI couples only. Not the dreaded "S" in a closer area. Trip and airfare total is less than 3,200 for a week.

Thank you for your thoughts, advice and just keeping me entertained as I read all your posts on the MB when I'm working nights!

Much Love,
    STBrad

Try cheapcaribbean.com
    several hundred less to book air and Hotel together

Quote Originally Posted by KarenON View Post
    I think it's time you look for a different airline and/or travel agent! We usually pay around $1000 for the two of us on a direct flight from Ontario, Canada, which is considerably further to Jamaica than what Texas is.
    Where your flying from really has no bearing on flight price. Prices are based on competition and capacity, not mileage flown. Taxes also vary quite a bit between the US and Canada.

I think perhaps the OP misunderstood the travel agent. Check again and ask specifically the per person cost for airfare. It is quite reasonable to assume a coach class airfare could be $750 per person. But, unless you are asking for only one specific flight (which may be heavily booked) there should be options lower than $1500 per person.

Default OMG- A few suggestions for you

Our airfare from Wichita last year was around $1000 round trip (total price for two tickets). Air fare is up this year as I am waiting to book my flights for our trip in December (YEA!). Right now the price seems to be running around $550 to $575 per ticket (less taxes). I would highly recommend doing your own research and then inform your TA that they are full of crap with the prices they are quoting you by giving her printed copies of what you can find on line. If she cant find a comparable rate, fire her and get a new agent.

I just heard on our local new that studies have shown the best time to purchase air fare is on Tuesday's at 3:00 pm- not sure if there is any truth to that but it may be something to look into.

Good luck with your search and enjoy your anniversary in paradise!

I just booked flights from LAX-DFW-MJB for under $700 a person round trip through American Airlines in early June- booked 2 weeks ago- and the prices are the same today.

Yea, our TA is a dingbat and careless. We fired her. Found a quote ourselves for 1300 (after taxes). However, she being the snot she is cancelled our trip after we cancelled with her.

We booked our Couples reservation last summer for this June's trip. Waited on air till about a month ago. Last year we flew round trip for two just under $1000. This year round trip for the two of us was about $1400. Prices have continued to go up since we purchased our flight. We may have to wait a couple of years before going back, but we are glad we spent the extra couple hundred for this year's trip. Ya never know. Ya know?

I just purchased 2 tickets from Chicago to MTB for $783 for both on Hotwire...shop around...Purchased during the week, noticed prices increased on weekends.