Default Bringing gifts/supplies for local schools?

We are coming home to CTI next week and can't wait.

I'm sure I've seen posts in the past about collections (perhaps by the Issa Trust-?) for supplies for local schools etc.

I just wondered if there is anything that we could bring over, and who we should give it to when we arrive?

Any ideas please?

We did the same thing as a mission project for our Bible study class last year when we went to CSA. We contacted the resort by e-mail and the staff there informed us of a local school they sponsored and their needs. They will be greatly appreciative of anything that will aid in their education of these children and you will be so blessed for having done this!

Wishing you many blessings!

Bart & Bug

Default Us too

We want to bring items too. Waiting for someone to respond to you.

Each resort sponsors a school. I usually bring down paper, pencils, stickers etc. I bring it all to the front desk and leave it there. The resort will take car of getting it to the school they sponsor

I am a teacher in a very rural area in Louisiana, so I would love to do this as well! I feel bad, though, about the small amount I would be able to pack in my suitcase ... Are monetary donations accepted as well? Can you visit the school?

We had accumulated two boxes full of school supplies from one trip to another - too much and too heavy to pack. Contacted the main office in Florida (number on website) and they told us before mailing to the office to include an itemized list of each item, quantity, cost and total cost. They will take care of delivering to the schools in Jamaica.

The following trip, requested to visit a school and did see some of the items we sent - i.e. charts, flash cards, etc. What a great experience!

Thanks for giving to a great cause and they do appreciate it!

I contacted guest relations at CSA and they told me some things to bring. I work in an elementary school and would really love a visit to their local school. I plan to bring a few soccer balls (deflated) and kickballs and some general school supplies. I'll probably end up paying extra for overweight baggage but it will be worth it! Only 24 more days to go!

We actually did the same thing last August when we went to CSS. We used an extra carry-on suitcase, loaded it full of school supplies and then had an extra suitcase to bring back all the fun stuff we bought We dropped it all at the front desk when we checked in...worked out really well!

Quote Originally Posted by pugdog11 View Post
    I contacted guest relations at CSA and they told me some things to bring. I work in an elementary school and would really love a visit to their local school. I plan to bring a few soccer balls (deflated) and kickballs and some general school supplies. I'll probably end up paying extra for overweight baggage but it will be worth it! Only 24 more days to go!
    Love this idea! Hoping to do this next CN trip in August 2012

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Are there limitations on what can be brought in a suitcase? Has anyone tried to mail anything?

You can also give your donations to a taxi driver you may use to see Jamaica. One year we gave a suitcase full to our driver. He knew people that could use the stuff. And another to another driver for his church people. That was in P.A. where they seldom get donations. Our guide told us we blessed many hearts! Sometimes we bring stuff for the vendors on Bloody Bay.

Something to be aware of, if you're wanting to bring the items to the school, is whether they're in session or not. We brought school supplies to CSA last April and really had hoped to visit with the children but weren't aware that Jamaica celebrates Easter for 2 weeks so school was not in session. The good part is that the Sandrea Whiteat CSA Guest Relations took the items to the school once it was back in session the next week and sent us pictures of the kids in their school with the items. It's really a humbling experience to see the conditions in which these kids are educated. We did as deb&dan suggested in bringing an extra suitcase with the supplies in it and then having an extra suitcase to bring home items we bought. Let me personally applaud those of you who choose to bring school supplies to these children!

Bart & Bug

Great plans. I was reading on Trip Advisor that there's a taxi driver "Joe Cool" who will take people to schools in the more remote areas to donate supplies. The message board on TA had a link listing what's helpful - including some sports items for older kids like tennis rackets and balls which I would not have thought of. I was thinking it would be nice to go in to the countryside a bit, as the nearby schools get a lot of tourist benefit just because they are close to the resorts.

Randymon---Are you still accepting school supplies at the desk? We have quite a bit of school supplies that we can bring?
    Ed & Margo

CTI Dec 2009
    CTI Dec 2013
    Roll Tide!!!