Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jellyfish

Default Jellyfish

My husband and I spent a week at CSA for our honeymoon in July 2010. Every thing about the resort was perfect, and we booked again for this July. Everyone asks why we are not trying something new, but once you have been...you know. Our only complaint was the amount of people getting stung by jellyfish. We live near the South Carolina coast and understand this is part of the beach experience. However, even the staff was suprised at the amount of people getting stung. I was stung within 30 minutes of being in the ocean. I observed ten more people being stung that day. Is this the usual occurence at CSA, or was there maybe a tropical storm causing more jellyfish to come to shore? Any thoughts?

My wife and I have been to Swept Away 5 times. We have never experienced any jelly fish in the swimming area. We have run into them one day on a snorkeling trip, but that was only one day, and we went 5 times on that vacation. We do wear rash guards while snorkeling and that helped that one day. Like you said, might have been a storm or such.

Default Been there done that!

I'll preface this by saying that this was about 4 years ago at CN.

tcberry, does it hurt being stung by a jellyfish??? Does it require medical attention? (Thankfully I have never experienced being stung). My wife and I are visiting CN for our first time in a couple weeks - I was a little nervous when we first read about having to be cautious of them.

I have heard that they are likely to sting your feet and that wearing water shoes will reduce the risk. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Default This is our 4th trip in February to CN

I think it is really dependent on the weather, water temps, etc. We snorkle every day and only had one time in the past three years that I was stung by a jelly fish. It was in deeper waters and in rough seas. We have never had an issue off the beach.

By the way they are small and only bothered me for a short amount of time.

We were at CN last July and I got stung for the first time in my life. It was painful but no medical attention is needed. I put some ice on it. There must have been something going on in July to stir them up. I wouldn't worry about it.

Our first trip to CSA no Jellfish in June 2010. On our senond trip to CSA also in June 2011 after a tropical storm came by I was stung by a Jellyfish twice. It felt like I bit by an ant; wasnt sure what got me until I asked. It didnt really did hurt more of a burning itch that lasted about 30 minutes. Didn't keep me out of the water and wont keep out this year either.

I dont think water shoes would do you any good as they float. Woudn't worry I am thinking they ownly show up after a big storm washes them in.

We have been diving in the Negril area over 3 dozen times in 3 trips to CN, and the jellyfish are not that bad. For starters, most of them are really small, a couple inches across at most. We saw maybe a total of 2-3 in our first 2 trips combined ('07 & '10). On our last trip in Nov '11, we saw a ton of them out in the waters beyond the edge of the bays. They were within 8 ft of the surface. Only 2 of us, (in 16 dives of 8-16 divers per dive), got stung. This abundance was due to the fact that a storm had passed by in the weeks before we arrived and the currents were carrying them in from the north. One woman we were with was stung at the surface on the arm, waiting to get back on the boat. It left a very small rash, which she put vinegar on, and was fine within seconds. I was stung a few days later during a descent. It was irritating, but not painful at all. It was right below my wetsuit on my right thigh, so I pulled my wetsuit down over the sting, "went" in my suit, and that neutralized the sting instantly. I finished the dive with no problems and you couldn't even see the sting by the time we were back on the boat. Now, I am fully aware that this "treatment" is supposedly an urban myth, but it worked and I would totally do it again!

You may also see "Jamaican jellyfish" which are royal blue and primarily at the surface. These ones, however, do not sting and you can swim right through a school of them with no problems. On our first cat cruise from CN in 2007, when we got off the boat at Pirate's Cave, we jumped right into a school of thousands of them and we swam through em, around em, etc, with no issues.

There are large, painful, and sometimes deadly jellyfish in other parts of the Caribbean, but the waters of Bloody and Long Bays are not the habitat that these jellyfish exist in.

No worries!

It only hurt for 30 minutes because the nurse took great care of me. They seem to be very small there. It just put a damper on getting in the water. I believe the week we were there brought with it an unusual number of stings.

The jellyfish are very small, most less than 2" across, and their sting lasts only a few seconds. It's rare that you'll encounter them in the swimming area, but common on the snorkel trips.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

I think jelly fish population has to do with the oxygen levels in water, amount of pollutants and iodine levels amongst a host of other variables.

We live on the Atlantic Ocean in Delaware and some times the population is overwhelming then nothing for weeks.

I can honestly say all of the times we have been to Jamaica I have not encountered a jellyfish. While in Akumal Mexico I did get stung by the larvae....OMG! it stung so bad when I got out of the water.

There haven't been any reports that I have heard of on any of the forums that I read.

Enjoy!!

the worst thing is if you are allergic to the toxin, other than that there are simple remedies to minimize the sting such as meat tenderizer etc...

We have been there the last 2 years at CN and had no problem with them. You can see them if you have a mask on, but they are so small. We are headed back to CN the end of June. We never wear water shoes. Don't worry, go and enjoy yourself and have fun.
    CTI 2003
    CN 2010,2011,2012

We have been to CN 5 times and also stayed at a couple of resorts on the cliffs. We have experienced jellyfish in the water. If you snorkeling you can see them. We have experienced them brushing up against our skin and we get a little itchy for a few minutes but we have never been stung.

In all of our visits I know of one person actually being stung.

We have been when there are more in the water than others.

Have fun - it will be great!

Tracy & Matt

Hi Andy! I am from Georgia and was bitten by one once while on Tybee Island and YES it hurt! I was pregnant and I was stung on the top of my entire left foot. Hours after getting stung it still felt like I was getting stung every few minutes. Sorry I'm not exaggerating at all and definitely not trying to scare at all.....just being truthful. Will that exact thing happen to you if you or anyone else is stung?......I don't know. I can only speak on my experience. Anywho just be safe and enjoy your vacation and don't mind this GA chic lol!

Had experience with jellyfish in St Lucia two years ago. Sting feels like stinging nettles, hurt for an hour or so I seem to remember. If it is just a few lines of sting (from their trailing tentacles), then I had packed antihistamine cream and that helped. Thus, Benadryl would likely help too. For us, the rash was a few red lines/welts that did not spread/swell further/cause an allergic reaction beyond the sting. So no medical attention needed. HOWEVER if someone has an allergic reaction, difficulty breathing or swallowing, or if the sting gets worse (not better) with time, then absolutely see the resort Dr.. We encountered the jellyfish whilst swimming - water shoes would have made no difference, as jellyfish were floating near the surface (but hard to see when swimming). Note that in reading this board, plus loads of Trip Advisor reviews, jellyfish are very rarely mentioned so must be uncommon.

Bringing this back to the top; Saw mention of the Jellyfish at CSA on another forum. Is this an issue? When I was stationed in Gulfport Miss., Jellyfish came in on occasion. Think it was a Seasonal thing. Getting stung by a Jellyfish is NOT on my Bucket List!!!

My husband and I were at CN in May this year. We did the beginners scuba one day, not too long after going down we swam through a lot of jelly fish. I had been stung as a child and remember crying with the pain. So I was in a near panic to swim through so many but none of us were stung. I did get stung one night when we waded into the water and I'm a big girl now and didn't cry I got out of the water real quick. The sting only lasted about 30 minutes. We sat in the hot tub so the chlorine may have helped.

We are planning to Snorkel for the first time. My wife getting stung would not be a highlight!!

Out of 5 trips to CSA I have only been stung 3 times, so as long as your not allergic it's not something you really need to worry about. But after my first sting I now bring a small bottle of stuff for jellyfish stings,( found it at walmart it's mainly ammonia) cause the sting does hurt and it hurts for a while.

Last September we saw many very tiny jellyfisht at the Bahamas snorkel site and occasionally at the other two sites. We only saw one or two large ones and they were easy to avoid but the little ones were impossible to avoid. The smaller ones were golf ball size or smaller and they didn't sting, the watersports guys said. On the beach I never saw one but my boyfriend got stung one night right near his rear - ouch (but hilarious) - and I got stung another night all up my arm and leg. A guy was swimming with goggles there and warned me that they were floating right at the bottom under us. I tried to leave but they got me as I headed back to the sand. It wasn't as traumatic as I thought it would be.

My recommendations: Take along some vinegar (thats what the bartenders recommended) or some hydrocortozone cream. I used the cream and it made it better pretty much instantly. Within 30 minutes to an hour or so I couldn't even see the spots anymore. If you don't have either of these with you though, I was told by people on the beach that straight rum could work in a pinch.

Or there's always the all natural method, that works too if it doesn't gross you out lol.

When we went to CN this spring, there were HUNDREDS of jellyfish while snorkeling. However, the watersports crew told us they are moon jellyfish, and do not sting. We swam through huge groups of them, and never felt one sting. The same thing happened when I went scuba diving also. The first 5 feet down or so were full of them, but after that, there were none, and still no stings.
    Is this Love that I'm feelin'?

CSS March 2013, April/May 2014
    CN April 2014

Ditto on the small stingless guys during snorkeling. I grew up near the Gulf of Mexico and survived my fair share of jellyfish stings. I also panicked but definitely stingless.

The little ones at least. One early, early morning in Bloody Bay, I saw a slightly larger one (with hanging tendrils) while wading (knee deep). I got out quickly and let him be.

Like many sea creatures, jellyfish are NOT at the top of the food chain... thus, when these creatures are born, it is very much like a bloom of algae. Millions of eggs hatch at the same time; I seem to recall reading or seeing somewhere that blooms occur in synch with a full moon. I've witnessed these blooms... literally clouds of the little suckers while snorkeling. The little jellies are very small at this stage, less than 1/8 or 1/4 inch across. Even at this size, if you swim into a swarm, you will probably know it after a number of brushes against their tiny cilia. As the hatchlings are culled out by feeding attrition, we begin to see the larger ones, 1" or 2" across. Only a small proportion of a hatch grow to full size... nature's way.

I've been stung many times at SweptAway while swimming, and at first I didn't know what it was. As other's have said, its not too different than an ant bite. When I showed someone on staff the rash, I was told what it was, and now I just shrug it off to a minor annoyance in paradise. My wife has been stung a few times by anchoring her floatie to a swimming bouy rope with her ankle... I suppose they tend to be part of the algae and stuff that attaches to the ropes...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I have read on other sights that a shot of the OVER PROOF rum poured onto the sting helps greatly almost instantly takes the sting away. Oh btw, it is what the locals recommend, and all those who have done this said it works great!
    Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast