Hybrid View

Default Couples vs. Other Resorts

My fiancée and I are looking to book a honeymoon for May 2010 and are feeling somewhat overwhelmed with all the choices. Suprisingly, everything else has been a breeze. I've been reading the MB and looking at the information on websites and literature, but can't discern what the difference between the couples only all inclusive resorts (ie. Couples vs. S, etc.). Has anyone been to other like resorts and had experiences that have set Couples apart? Or are there any services that are included at Couples that aren't at other resorts? We are mid 20's active couple that want to play during the day (volleyball, soccer, etc), have private romantic dinners, go out to a bar/club once or twice and hangout poolside with drinks the rest of the vacation. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

There are several areas that put Couples into a category of their own.

The employees of each Couples resort..These employees seem happier doing their jobs and it shows..These employees try very hard to please each guest and get to know them..It's wonderful as the staff learn your name and speak it every time you see them..We all have our favorite employees and each one is so special.

Size..Each of the Couples Resorts are the correct size for their guests.We like how ALL four are different and we love all four.

This message board..It allows us to get to know strangers before we arrive at a Couples resort..Couples indeed turns strangers into life long hugging friends.

The Couples Resort...Where guests choose to return to time and again.

TMatanich..This is for you two.
    Last edited by Tommywommy; October 6th, 2009 at 03:26 PM.

Your days of being overwhelmed are over!

Couples superior qualities:
    Better food
    Better top shelf booze
    More personal service
    More included activities and excursions
    Four that's right 4 fantastic resorts to choose from
    All guests get treated exactly the same with the same great service and inclusions no matter what room you have booked so no feeling short changed if you try to save a buck by booking a lower room category
    This message board what other resort has one yep NONE that I know of
    Friends for life - that's what you'll make at any Couples resort

Need I say more? Oops yes one more thing book CSS for a honeymoon it's the most romantic of all!

Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

You know, I can't comment on the other AI resorts from experiences of staying there, but I can tell you that what really drew us to Couples for our honeymoon (6 years ago) were a couple of things. First of all was the value...Couples offers everything that the other AI chains offer, but they do it for less money! We are not fancy people and care nothing about marble and crystal chandeliers, so we really liked the idea of spending our time at a nice, but relaxed resort. The second thing that really stood out to me was that Couples does not feel commercialized like the other resorts. I was afraid that if I went to a different AI, I would just be a number in a very big, fancy resort. At Couples, that is definitely NOT the experience! After 3 additional trips to Couples (and another one planned in October), I am convinced we made the right choice with Couples!

I think the BIGGEST think that Couples offers that others don't (at least this is what I have gathered from other travelers' reviews) is EXCEPTIONAL service. Couples offers a truly no-tip atmosphere and all of its guests (no matter which room you choose to stay in) are treated like royalty! In all of our trips, we have never gotten a negative response from any staff we have interacted with. They will go above and beyond to make your stay special!

All of the things you mentioned that you wanted to do are available at Couples and I think you would have a fantastically romantic honeymoon if you spent it at one of their resorts!

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

While I haven't been to the "S" resorts, I have been to the "R" resorts and have been to several in Mexico.

All I can say, is that the staff is top-notch and the customer service you receive at Couples is unbelievable. You won't go anywhere (IN MY OPINION ) that can beat Couples ability to pamper and cater to your every whim. If you are looking for a fun, romantic resort, than Couples is for you.
    Kristen

I am sure others will talk about more specific differences, but for us, what we like about Couples compared to other AIs is the size. Couples is very small compared to those other Megaclubs. But they still have all of the same amenities and more. But the small number of rooms makes the personal service at Couples unbeatable! At Couples, you're not just a guest, you're family.

Plus, you don't have to wear a wristband at Couples and when they say everything is included, they mean it. At most other AIs, things such as scuba diving is at an additional cost - but not at Couples.

Go for Couples and you won't be disappointed! We honeymooned at Couples in 2002 and got so hooked, we've returned every year since and been to them all. I'd be happy to share our pictures if that would help you (amy.welch@hotmail.com).
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

I'm going to tackle this even though I haven't been to a Couples resort yet. I'm going to CSS in April, 2010. I have been to LOTS of other resorts. First off, I strongly recommend an adults only all-inclusive. That will narrow the playing field.

One the S companies (not the shoe) is making a lot of changes (probably not for the better) at their adults only resorts. I was never really that comfortable there anyway.

I do like the "evil" shoe resorts. For all their bad press, they are really pretty nice. However, Couples includes more things. I like the idea of the beach drink service (I'm probably getting lazy). They have more floaties. It's hard to get one sometimes at the other resorts. They include a few trips off the resort which is something that the other resorts don't do.

If you don't care about the AN thing, I would recommend CSW. I have walked by it several times and it is gorgeous from the beach. The beach there is perfect, exactly what you would expect for a Caribbean honeymoon. Included is a catamaran trip which I think goes down to Rick's. I did one from another resort and had to pay separate for it! It was really fun. Also, from CSW you can walk to other bars along the beach.

Good luck and Congratulations!

We have been to Couples four times, and to an adult AI in the Dominican Republic once. Although the other AI was very nice, something to consider is that for romance, you want it to be a couples only resort. There were lots of single guys and gals at the other AI. Nothing wrong with that, but it really is not a "romantic" vibe.

As far as comparing Couples to the "S" resorts, we had originally planned to go to an S resort when our travel agent talked us into Couples. He said that Couples was less expensive and had more inclusives. He was right. I still check costs every once in awhile, and even when S is having a sale, it rarely comes close to the prices at Couples. S may seem more luxurious with its butler service for some room categories, but we actually like that all guests are treated the same at Couples.

Never been to the S resort and only all inclusive has been Couples but the opinion is that Couples is a much better experience - no kids is a huge selling point. Couples is the perfect destination for a Honeymoon - there are plenty of activities to keep you busy if you choose and all are included in the price. Based on ha you described Couples is for you - come join the Couples family. I'm sure your next question will be which location? Visit the website and look at each and pick the one that calls to you - they all offer about the same activities so it comes down to the type of room and how important the beach is to you - the Negril side has a better beach - different kind of sand vs. the Ochos side. Personally I would narrow it down to to either Couples Negril or Coupes San Souci but you cannot go wrong with any of them.
    ... it keepsh me shane

We have been to all the major players in Adult/Couples only resorts in Jamaica and the big difference is the feeling you get when you are at the resort:

At Couples you are treated like a couple and they are happy to see you and they are friendly to you. You are not just a number based on the room class you purchased or just one more couple to deal with.

Couples includes things to do, depending on the resort, horse back riding, Cat Cruise, golf, Dunns river falls trip, and many others. These are all extra money at the other places.
    See http://www.couples.com/01-inclusionsPage.htm for more details.

Going to Couples is like going home, the others - are like going to a motel on the beach in the USA that includes food and drink.

Service and value is what Couples is about. Fancy commercials that some use to get you to go the first time does not get you to return. The resorts do that. Couples resorts has a very high repeat rate.

We have been to all the major adult only and couples only resort chains in Jamaica and never repeated a resort except for Couples. Couples Tower Isle (3 times).

We plan on never going to a resort in Jamaica for a couples only vacation other than a Couples Resorts.
    Irie Mon

TMatanich- choosing a desitnation comes down to personal preferences.. as other members have mentions the couples chain is NOT over the top glitz.
    If you are looking for the WOW factor in terms of marble fountains and a series of winding pools couples may not be a good fit. Couples does offer great service, good to excellent food and a different vibe for each of its properties including the AN option at three of them. I think dolalr for dollar couple is tough to beat mainly because it is small ,no kid and only couples whichs tend to allow the folks to relax a bit more ...enjoy your honeynoon where ever you choose

Never been to an S resort but have been to the R and others in Mexico as well, and all I can tell you is there is NO comparison to what we personally have experienced.

Couples does not have the marble, or oppulence of some of the other resorts, the feel there is more Caribbean casual elegance, with service that is far superior to anything we have experienced so far. You are on island time in JA, things are slower than we are used to in the states, but you will encounter a family feeling from the staff.

Shari, Tommy, and the others nailed it!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TMatanich View Post
    My fiancée and I are looking to book a honeymoon for May 2010 and are feeling somewhat overwhelmed with all the choices. Suprisingly, everything else has been a breeze. I've been reading the MB and looking at the information on websites and literature, but can't discern what the difference between the couples only all inclusive resorts (ie. Couples vs. S, etc.). Has anyone been to other like resorts and had experiences that have set Couples apart? Or are there any services that are included at Couples that aren't at other resorts? We are mid 20's active couple that want to play during the day (volleyball, soccer, etc), have private romantic dinners, go out to a bar/club once or twice and hangout poolside with drinks the rest of the vacation. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

We sound just like you guys...haha. We booked Couples Tower Isle for our May 2010 honeymoon and after doing months of research and comparing Pros and Cons vs "S" resort, I was instantly drawn to couples. We are in our mid-20s ourselves and love to have a great time so I am really excited. What days are you going???

There are other resorts?

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    there are other resorts?
    Love it!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

My wife and I stayed right next door (North) to CSA, we were there for a wedding 3 years ago. My wife and I woild walk the beach each day and when we would walk by CSA it just had a feel. All of the guests had that look on their face and body language like I have arrived. March 2008 we booked at CSA, our friends that got married at S, stayed again there. They met us at CSA and we showed them our room (Atrium Suite), suffice to say they and another couple that normally spends time in Mexico at a number of "Super Resorts" and have been to Ocho at a "Super Resort" are going with us to CSA Dec 5-12, 2009. For us it was a no brainer, and I am not afraid to stick my neck out and endorse CSA whole heartedly. Just remember it is what you make it...93 Days 'til Rum Cream All I Want!

sounds good to me
    sodosor

It has been a loooooooong time since I've been at any other resort's website other than this one. So just for kicks the other night I thought I'd take a trip down memory lane and get a price quote from the Evil Empire, based on like rooms and length of stay. I was surprised at how much more expensive EE was, and to think they actually offer less, at least in terms of inclusive activities, and that's not even counting the $500 resort credit - that wasn't factored into the equation. It made me realize again what a bargain we're receiving by having booked with Couples.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

sounds nice =)

The thing that really sets Couples apart from the "S" resorts for me is that they are not constantly trying to sell you something! We stayed at an S resort in 2008 and there was not a single day where we were not hassled by the spa ladies or pestered to book our next vacation with S. The S logo was in your face at every turn and even the entertainment crew constantly reminded you of what resort you were at. It became very tiresome.

It is very simple,,take your honeymoon at Couples Swept Away ,the most romantic resort in the Caribbean..
    ARE WE THERE YET??

Thanks for everyone's support.

Couples Resorts