Default How Many Of You .....

When booking your room only through Couples, how many of you buy the travel insurance they offer ?????? We've always booked packages with the air included through other sites & took the "cancel for any reason" insurance. Had to use it once & it was well worth it. Last year, we booked our room only through Couple.com for the first time with the Love Away plan to secure the price almost a year ahead & took out the insurance. We have done the same thing this year. I'm just curious as to how many of the rest of you take out the insurance since you have up until 46 days from travel to change or cancel without penalty anyway. Has anyone ever had to change their reservation dates during that 46 day period due to emergency & not had the insurance & if so, what penalty charges applied???? We know that we wouldn't cancel the trip if something would happen but might need to reschedule for a later date. With my parents being in their late 80's & 2 cat boys that are almost 15, you never know .... Guess you never know anyway but you know what I mean. Thanks in advance for you replies.
    Julie

We didn't opt for the insurance because of the liberal change policy they offer. We figured that if we couldn't make our trip for some reason, 45 days was enough time to know and reschedule. Our kids are all, but one, in college and on their own so they can help with house/pet sitting while we are gone. My job is pretty easy for time off as long as an important project isn't going on, but that is known well in advance. So barring a serious illness, not much would "pop up" to keep us from going in that last 45 days. It's a risk we were willing to take.

Oh, and the weather in the time frame we are planning is supposed to be awesome. No worries about tropical storms or hurricanes to make us cancel at last minute.

CSS April 29-May 10, 2013

Never took out the insurance with the great change policy they have.

Last year, 47 days before departure, I fell down a flight of stairs and severely broke my right (dominant!) arm. We have 3 small children and our newly constructed home was almost complete. My first though after I realized I broke my arm was OMG JAMAICA. I cried and cried, not because of the pain, but because I was worried we would have to cancel. The surgeon assured me I'd be able to go, even if I didn't have complete use of my arm.

Long story short, he was right. I was able to go. I didn't have full use of it, very limited use actually, but we still went.

So I guess my point is, even if something major happens, you may still be able to go. We did.

Anything can happen at any time. We each have to look at our situations and make the decision accordingly. For us I rate travel insurance right up there with extended warranties. A complete waste of money. Our situation is different from most, no kids, no living parents, no health issues, can stand the hit if we do have to cancel. As I said your mileage may vary.

We always take the insurance. Not so much for the cancel policy but just incase you get delayed, sick or injured. You never know what might happen,

We always take the insurance and not just for the trip cancellation, but for the accident insurance. We had to use that portion of the insurance once. It was nice to have all of my bills paid and not out of pocket since most US health insurance doesn't cover out of country.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Well, usually the TA just offers the "cancel due to medical reason" but gave us a really good price on an insurance that we can cancel our trip for any reason. Piece of mind on our part. If we're going to pay 5k for our 10 days in paradise, we gladly put the extra $200 in insurance, because you just never know what life may throw at you. Thankfully we've never had to use it!

We always take out some type of trip insurance PLUS some type of supplemental Emergency Medical Evacuation. One year my FIL passed away 3 days into the trip. Another year they lost all of our luggage on the way home and it has never been recovered. Make sure you READ all of the policies you are considering. It might be better to purchase a 3rd party policy.

You just never know what might happen. A car accident, sudden illness or injury, loss of job, house fire, etc. There are just too many what if's in this life. If you can afford to risk XXXX $$$$ then that is OK. Personally I always look as the insurance as a part of the cost of the vacation.

We always buy the travel insurance, but have not had to use it...yet. We both have aging parents and are always aware that our plans can be changed in a flash.

I got the insurance because I went through a travel agent and I am going during October. Hurricane season.. yikes I pray nothing happens to my trip

Default trip insurance

trip insurance is like any other insurance, hard to pay for it, but thank god you have it if you need it.

Here is our story, from 2 weeks ago.

We arrived at CCN on Jan 9th to start our 18 day vacation. not a cheap trip for those amount of days and the trip insurance was $80 each.

4 days into the trip we received a call at 11 pm on a friday night from our son that my wifes sister had falled ill and had 24 hours.
    By 7 am the next morning we were on our way back to montego bay and by 8 pm that evening we were back in milwaukee and my wife was able to say goodbye.

We have not reached final settlement on the remaining days of the trip but have been told " no problem mon, we will cover everything, other than the 4 days you were there.

Thank god we had the insurance. As i read the policy when i returned home i saw what was all covered, much i did not expect.

1. lost luggage
    2. damaged luggage
    3. medical no deductable in Jamacia ( a simple trip to the resort doctor for a rsh or jelly fish sting is $300)

I will never take a trip like this without the insurance.

Thanks everyone for the input ...... We also bought the insurance for the loss of luggage, medical evacuation, trip delay, etc. & not just for the cancellation for any reason. Figure it's like any insurance, you buy it & hope it's waste of money because you don't need to use it ..... I just know our luck & the time we didn't buy it is the time we'd wish we had ...... Just buying it means that nothing will happen .... .
    Julie

I booked yesterday and bought the Couples travel insurance. I have had to use the cancellation insurance a couple of times and it's well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve & Cindy View Post
    trip insurance is like any other insurance, hard to pay for it, but thank god you have it if you need it.

Here is our story, from 2 weeks ago.

We arrived at CCN on Jan 9th to start our 18 day vacation. not a cheap trip for those amount of days and the trip insurance was $80 each.

4 days into the trip we received a call at 11 pm on a friday night from our son that my wifes sister had falled ill and had 24 hours.
    By 7 am the next morning we were on our way back to montego bay and by 8 pm that evening we were back in milwaukee and my wife was able to say goodbye.

We have not reached final settlement on the remaining days of the trip but have been told " no problem mon, we will cover everything, other than the 4 days you were there.

Thank god we had the insurance. As i read the policy when i returned home i saw what was all covered, much i did not expect.

1. lost luggage
    2. damaged luggage
    3. medical no deductable in Jamacia ( a simple trip to the resort doctor for a rsh or jelly fish sting is $300)

I will never take a trip like this without the insurance.

Was this the insurance through Couples? Can the insurance be bought at a later date if not purchased at booking?

We buy the ins when we are flying out of the country but not if we are staying in the states. For medical and luggage reasons mainly.

We book the insurance also. Reason being, we fly out in the middle of winter and have had the cold stop us before from getting away on time. So for that piece of mind it's worth it!

Love our summer here but it's still winter and Dec 2012 can't come soon enough.

With two young kids, weather, accidents and everything else that could go wrong insurance is a necessary evil in our mind.

We always take the insurance, and boy was it worth it last year!! It's never fun to even think about how much money you're losing if you have to cancel for any reason. I'd say the trip insurance is a great investment.

We get it strictly for the medical benefit. A few years ago, a friend of our suffered from a brain bleed while working out. $500 for the ambulance trip to the Kingston Hospital. Then $20K (our group pooled credit cards) to get him to Miami. He recovered and is fine, and they paid everyone back...but imagine the situation if they had been on a trip just as a couple and not a resort with 40 or so friends.
    2012: Apr 22-29 Couples Tower Isle; Jul 21-28 HBR
    PAST TRIPS:CouplesOR-Feb '95, Jun '97, Jan '00,01
    HedoIII-Jul '03,04,05 GLB-Jul 06,07,08,09 Starfish-Jun 07,08
    Rose Hall-Jun '08,09 GLN-Jun '09 Breezes Rio Bueno-Feb '10
    Dreams RC & PA-Jun '10 Now Jade-Apr '11 El Dorado/HBR-Jul '10,'11

We always get insurance (used it once, CSA insurance great service.....entire trip cancelled, they covered it) it's not that expensive considering the cost of the flight, etc. This year we got it thru travel guard, via Costco. Yes they will allow you to buy it after the booking.

We book through a local agent... she always seems to find a better price for a complete package. The insurance is super cheap for us and we can cancel anytime, and get refunded if something happens at the resort like evacuation for weather. Worth it, just in case

When travelling out of the states, we always get the travel insurance. Pretty cheap peace of mind for all that is covered. We ended up using it on our trip the past October. We flew back on October 29 (the day of the East Coast snowstorm). We were able to land in Orlando, but the flight to Maine was cancelled. Ended up spending two additional days in Florida before we could get a flight back to Maine. Travel insurance paid up to $150 per person per day for the delay, so it was like getting two bonus days of vacation for "free".

Could you please share where you got your insurance through? Thanks. I'm so glad you both made it home to say goodbye without worry for your trip.