Thread: Captain Morgan

Hybrid View

Default Captain Morgan

My husband and I are super excited about our honeymoon at CSA Feb 21st-26th however I do have a question. We were under the impression there was captain morgan served at the resort. However, when I search through threads I see some post about there only being Appletons and some post about captain morgan being available everywhere. Can someone tell me if it is or isn't? We are HUGE captain lovers......

Thank goodness I've never seen Captain Morgan at Couples. If they have it they probably hide it. Once you go to Jamaica and taste the Appletons you will most likely not want "the Captain" ever again. It just doesn't compare. Appletons tastes like the beach and it's delicious.

CSS had Captain.

In Jamacia...its about Jamacian Appleton !!

Yes, they usually have Captain at Couples. If they don't, they will have a similar spiced rum available. And while I am a huge Appleton fan, which is the only liquor I drink at the resort or even at home, it is not even close to Captain in flavor. Appleton is just a straight rum and Captain is a spiced rum. That's like comparing banana and lychee! If you really like Captain, try an Appleton V/X (and/or coconut rum), Captain, and pineapple juice. It's a great drink with a serious kick!

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    If you really like Captain, try an Appleton V/X (and/or coconut rum), Captain, and pineapple juice. It's a great drink with a serious kick!
    So, does this mean they have the Appleton V/X at the resort bars?

CSS April 29-May 10, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by va couple View Post
    So, does this mean they have the Appleton V/X at the resort bars?
    Oh yeah. That's one of the only things I drink down there. My favorite is V/X, coconut rum, and pineapple juice with a dark rum floater, like Coruba or Meyers.

You may have to take your own.

I hope they have spiced rum of some kind at CSA. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of coconut-themed rums like Appleton and Malibu. Won't mean I won't drink it if that's what they have, but hoping they have some good spiced rum.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenjoel View Post
    I hope they have spiced rum of some kind at CSA. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of coconut-themed rums like Appleton and Malibu. Won't mean I won't drink it if that's what they have, but hoping they have some good spiced rum.
    Appletons is not a coconut-themed rum. Like all the islands in the Caribbean, Jamaica's "rum" is Appletons. It is a great rum with a very distinct flavor. Not at all like Malibu or anyof the flavored rums.

I too, am a Captain Morgan fan... we were at CTI last November and they did not carry it. I drank vodka slushes instead. Not the same, but everything was IRIE!

I have never seen Captain Morgans at Couples, sorry. But there are so many other wonderful drinks to try.

Appleton is way better then Captain. Try appleton white.
    CSS OCT 2009
    CSS OCT 2011
    CSS OCT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    Appleton is way better then Captain. Try appleton white.
    Hi! I drink Captain on occassion at home. But since my first sip of Appleton I've been hooked! It truly is the "Taste of Jamaica" to me. And the Appleton Genesis (a.k.a. Appleton White) is the smoothest rum I have ever tasted! I lived on Appleton Genesis & Ting at CTI last visit.
    I have to say, if you are a Captain fan you should really like, or even love Appleton!
    Enjoy your trip!

Bummer. I could of swore it was in the pic of the bar on a promo ad... (we enlarged the pic to check)

I guess I'll have to spice up my vacation SOME OTHER WAY

I love Captain Morgan! At first, the Appleton was a shock but I got used to it. Especially since the place I stayed( not couples )the drinks were really strong. You'll love it and maybe replace your captain at home with it. Rum Cream on ice is very delicious also!!
    Mike and Tonya

This thread reminded me that I have a question about rum....

I do love Appleton rum, but do they have Myers (also Jamaican)? It's my FAV!!
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013

Couples doesn't carry the Captain Morgan we know & love in the US, Canada, Great Britain and elsewhere.
    Captain Morgan is the second largest brand of spirits sold in the US and is now produced in Puerto Rico but was originally produced in Jamaica until the 50's. Needless to say, there are more people that drink Captain's than Appletons and both are readily available at any liquor store in the US.
    J Wray & Nephew (who also owns Appletons) also produces a Captain Morgan spiced run in Jamaica. This is available in the gift shops at Couples but it is not even close to the Captain Morgan we get in the US. I bought a bottle at CN last year, made one drink, threw out most of it and left the bottle for the next guest. It tasted more like Appletons which I really don't like and I'm a rum drinker.
    I usually drink Absolute & Ting or Bacardi when not drinking beer but I really would love to have a Captain's while in paradise.
    We just booked our 9th trip to Jamaica for next April ((7th to Couples) so make no mistake, we love Jamaica but that doesn't mean we have to drink Appletons and Red Stripe (which we do love) to prove it like some will have you believe.
    If you look behind the well stocked bars at Couples, you will cetainly find something you will like to drink and, who knows, maybe it will be Appletons.
    No matter what, you will have a great time no matter what you drink.
    Last edited by rjammin; April 18th, 2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by rjammin View Post
    I usually drink Absolute & Ting or Bacardi when not drinking beer but I really would love to have a Captain's while in paradise.
    I LOVE Absolut Citron and Ting while in Jamaica!! It's just not quite the same with Squirt or Fresca back home.....

For the uninitiated...

Appleton White (Genesis on the Island) is their filtered tank-aged rum.
    Appleton Rum is the "young" - only a few years, at most - barrel aged rum.
    Appleton VX - aged in barrel for 5-10 years, thus the Roman V and X, blended
    Appleton Extra - aged in barrel for up to 12 years, blended

My opinion -

Appleton and Appleton White are great for rum & coke and blended rum concoctions
    Appleton VX is a smoooooooth sipping blend... my personal preference is straight up, no rocks, in a brandy snifter; some will commit sacrilege and mix it with coke, which I find unforgivable (yes, I'm looking at you, Joyce!).
    Appleton Extra packs a bit of a whiskey punch, due to its longer residence in barrel. Barrels used by Appleton formerly contained Kentucky bourbon. Again, for sipping only, punishable by divorce (Joyce).

There are other, more expensive Appleton blends that sit around in barrel improving over the years... I have a choice... I can return home to Couples, or I can buy these rums... its a no-brainer.

Accept no substitutes. There are other brown or amber rums out there, such as Meyers and the Cap'n, but they get their color from additives such as caramel, which I find carries over into the flavor. Appleton gets its color from the barrel.

Class dismissed....
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Accept no substitutes. There are other brown or amber rums out there, such as Meyers and the Cap'n, but they get their color from additives such as caramel, which I find carries over into the flavor. Appleton gets its color from the barrel.

Class dismissed....
    Oh no, you can't equate Meyers with Captain!!

Meyers is a Jamaican product and it IS aged in barrels. It's made from molasses, which is the reason for the dark color and sweet taste. It's NOT additives.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers's_Rum

Myers's Rum is a brand of Jamaican dark rum produced by Diageo PLC.

Named after brand founder Fred L Myers, the molasses-derived blend of up to nine rums has been produced since 1879. According to the Diageo web site, Myer's rum uses only "pure Jamaican molasses" and is "produced from continuous and pot still distillation and is then matured for up to four years on white oak barrels".[1]

The dark rum is commonly used in mixed drinks. It is also a common cooking ingredient in a variety of both sweet and savory recipes.

Dark rum differs from gold in that some residual molasses is retained in the final product, in order to slightly sweeten the flavor. Rum requires a minimum of two years aging, and dark rum such as Myers's is a blend of rums which can be aged upwards of 50 years. However, the amount of substantially aged rum in a blend is almost always very small.
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013

I stand corrected on the Myer's rum... but hey, I never did say it weren't Jamaican... this I knew (I drink it as a refresher after golf). What I did NOT know was that it got its color from molasses... which I find also gives it too sweet a flavor.

I would beg to differ with the wiki blog on the blending. Appleton blends based on age (good for them!), for example, as I noted in the VX (5 - 10 years). Ya gotta admit, this makes the product unique!

But thanks for the heads-up and the correction!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I love Myer's over ice after dinner. You're right though, it is too sweet to drink all day though. I'm not huge on sweet, except after dinner (I'm also a fan of a a good 20-30 year port after dinner).

My fiance isn't a huge rum fan, but he does like Myer's over ice. I look forward to trying the different Appletons though and getting him to try them.
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013