Default snorkeling at TI

My boyfriend and I are really into snorkeling, we have our own equipment to use and everything, so I'm wondering if it's worth it to bring it to TI. Is there decent snorkeling off the beach or at least close enough to swim out to? Or would we have to go on an excursion to see anything worth while?

I'm curious about that as well. My wife are going there the 14th!

Quote Originally Posted by uagirl90 View Post
    My boyfriend and I are really into snorkeling, we have our own equipment to use and everything, so I'm wondering if it's worth it to bring it to TI. Is there decent snorkeling off the beach or at least close enough to swim out to? Or would we have to go on an excursion to see anything worth while?
    If you want to snorkle off the beach or pier, or around the island, then you should bring your own equipment as watersports isn't too keen on lending it out for that purpose.

They sometimes run 2 trips a day out to the reef, its free, its quick and its easy. I highly recommend it. My wife and I went 4 times in two days on one of our visits. Our last trip they took us to a wreck too. I think they will let you use your own equipment, but it wouldn't surprise me from a liability stance if they insisted on using theirs.

My wife and I always bring our own snorkeling gear(fins and masks). We feel more comfortable using our own. And besides, some mornings when we're up early we'll head from the beach and snorkel around the edge of the swimming area to the right over near the Bayside Restaurant before the boat traffic begins. There really isn't much to see, a lot of grass, urchins, starfish, a few fish swimming by, but not as good as the excursions. Although one morning I came face to face with a couple of rays that were checking me out. That was cool. Snorkeling is not recommended from the beach so you're on your own. As far as the excursions go; on less than ideal days they will take you to a shallow reef to the right of the resort where you can see plenty of fish and coral formations. On the good to ideal days they will take you to the left of the resort where you can view a sunken metal ship and then swim over to the deeper reef where you will see more fish, rays, squid, and if you're lucky maybe even an octopus.

Have a great time the watersports guys are fantastic.