Default Electricity in Jamaica what happens if?

Hi
    I realise that Jamaica is the same voltage as the USA 110V. but in the UK its 240V What happens if you plug a 240volt item into 110 volt?

First, the plug won't fit. Second, the appliance won't work.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

I think you need an adapter.

Your Ipad charges but at a slower rate....one word of advice...buy a multi plug powestrip from your local pound shop & only use one adaptor (also available at pound shops). The caz part of Caznsi informs me that some hair straightners dont work properly on 110v....

The answer really is .... It depends.

Most of the wall wart type transformers that most of us have for charging our ipods/ipads/phones/computers/etc are desinged to work on a wide range of voltages. Look at the sticker on the transformer to be sure. Most say "input voltage 100VAC - 240VAC." If it has the right pins you can plug it in.

Something like a hair dryer though, will be a disaster. At best it will simply just not work. At worst, you will let ALL of the magic smoke out of the device, and you will need a new one.

Not enough volts = Too many amps = Probable Spectacular Failure

Now about having the right pins to plug in. Keep in mind there is a BIG DIFFERENCE between power ADAPTERS and CONVERTERS. Adapters will just change the pin pattern so you can plug the item in.... which is OK for the transformer items mentioned above. For your hair dryer, curling iron, or Belgian waffle maker, you will need a voltage converter that changes the pin pattern and the voltage. Otherwise, out goes the magic smoke, and your thing is ruined.

As fas as my understanding of electricity...if an item requires 240 volts to operate then 110 volts will not be enough to operate the device without a converter. Maybe someone with more electical knowledge then I can shed some light on this subject.

You will eventually burn it out. Not a good idea. Get a converter.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Hi. As mentioned above (magic smoke, tee hee), many chargers for laptops, iPads/tablets, digital cameras, and mobile phones are dual voltage. Will say on the unit (either on a sticker, or embossed in the plastic housing). If the charger does not say, then assume it must only work on it's home voltage. Usually hair items are NOT dual voltage unless there is a switch on the appliance to switch between 220 and 110. (This can require a screwdriver to change.) if your plug adaptor was inexpensive, and is about the size of the original plug, then it is ONLY for dual voltage items. If it is big and heavy, then it is a voltage changer - but still not foolproof. Have had power surges fry both adapter and item plugged in to it. If in doubt, better to not plug in! In the case of expensive electronics, may be worth bringing a power strip (as noted above), but I would ensure it had surge protection built in. Island power can drop and surge unexpectedly.

Jamaica power is 50Hz instead of 60Hz. Just takes a bit longer for the curling iron to heat up or the battery charger to fully charge. Jamaica time you know.

Life is good