Default My problem is not being nude

So what is the awkwardness like when you are mingling? This is my only set back on the AN beach at CTI. I have NO problem being naked w/my man on a beach in front of a bunch of other naked folks!!! But walking up to the bar naked sitting down to have a drink next to another naked person, where another naked person sat is weird for me. I dont necessarily want to sit and talk w/people while we are all naked. LOL....however, I do very much want the experience and need to envision this so I can get past the fear. HELP me understand what it is like.

Having just gone AN for the first time when we went to CTI in November, it was interesting. I wasn't sure how either of us would react to being nude, much less nude around other people, much less possibly even having a conversation with them! Our first day, we kept to ourselves, I went up for something to drink, said hi to a lady who was also getting a drink, and that was it. Out third day out to the Isle, we went over to the bar, and spoke with a couple other people for a bit. It was odd initially, but after a few minutes you cease to really notice that their "bits" showing.

I guess it's sort of similar to how you might feel if you went to a fancy dress restaurant, when your normal attire is jeans and t-shirt. You think you'll be out-of-place and uncomfortable, but seeing as everyone else is dressed (or in the case of the AN area not dressed) you relax and cease to think about it.

If you're going to CTI, and you would prefer to not be involved in conversation, head out to the Isle (not a beach) and once there, go right. The pool and bar are off to the left, and from what I picked up here tend to be the more social side. Sure, you might speak with someone when you go to get a drink, but you can always fall back to your lounger on the right if you're uncomfortable.

I'm going to repeat what someone said to me out on the Isle, and I think it's true: "The friendliest people are SCUBA divers and naked people."

Jason

I also felt and still feel the same way. When we went to SSB last summer, everyone wrapped up in towels and ate lunch together. This was a real help, as it started us socializing. Later a lot of socializing went on in the pool, and it is easy to hide in the pool behind your floatie if you want too. I am not sure what it is like at CTI on the island though. After a few days you get more comfortable, and of course the drinks help. I am curious to hear what others have to say.

At SSB, people bring their towel to the bar and sit on it.

It was like that for almost everyone that ever experiences AN. The most incredible phenomenon is that all your fears and apprehensions disappear more quickly than you would ever have imagined. I have watched this transformation happen to a lot of people over the sixteen years that we have been going to CTI. Being naked is just a state of mind. Trust me. You will be talking and sitting next to and having a great time with all who are there.

Richie

Hello,
    What I think helps me to socialize when at SSB is that no one is judging me or my body type, or asking me to step out of my comfort zone. I've noticed that when people are on vacation they are more open and relaxed--particularly after a few drinks--and any awkwardness goes away.

As for sitting down at the bar where another person has sat, just get an extra towel and put it down on the seat--no worries mon!

I hope you have a wonderful trip!
    suzyQ

Quote Originally Posted by grayturtless View Post
    I also felt and still feel the same way. When we went to SSB last summer, everyone wrapped up in towels and ate lunch together. This was a real help, as it started us socializing. Later a lot of socializing went on in the pool, and it is easy to hide in the pool behind your floatie if you want too. I am not sure what it is like at CTI on the island though. After a few days you get more comfortable, and of course the drinks help. I am curious to hear what others have to say.
    After everyone got comfortable being naked around everyone, did the towels still come on during lunch?

CSS April 29-May 10, 2013

It's no different than socializing in bathing suit. Also there is no obligation to socialize, many couples prefer to stick to themselves which is fine.

No problem what so ever.... . everyone is there for the same reason..... to relax and escape the cold.
    After 2 minutes there you won't give it a thought...
    The sooner you head to the pool/bar side the better it'll be for you.
    This will be our 3rd time on CTI March 15th--- 25th. :-)

Socializing in the nude can be a little awkward at first...but you get used to it and adapt pretty quicky.
    CSS - March, 2012
    CTI - March, 2013, 2014, 2015

Echoing Jason's comment above... The "right" of the island is definitely quieter. It's a great spot to start if you are nervous at first. My husband and I like the "left" side. We met up with some friends from years past and love being close to the pool and bar. Like others have said, the most friendly and fun people are on the island. the beach is covered with silence!! The island, laughter and chatter and fun :-) Can't wait to go back! As for covering up during eating, we usually just grabbed a plate and enjoyed our food au naturale. tip: the buffet they bring to the island is good, but my husband and I needed something a little more substantial so we grabbed a bit at the pool grill.

Quote Originally Posted by va couple View Post
    After everyone got comfortable being naked around everyone, did the towels still come on during lunch?
    We were only there for 3 days, and it was the same every day. Everyone was wrapped up from the waist down. It may have just been that group of people that were there at the time, and everyone did the same. I have read other posts on this forum that people were upset that sometimes some people cover up to eat, so I was surprised. Honestly I feel more comfortable covered up while eating. Maybe others can comment on this.

Hi va couple,
    As a CSS vet, I have never put a towel on while I ate my lunch. My perspective is, since I came into the world naked, it should be ok as an adult to eat a hamburger while naked!:-) Out of courtesy to others, I do put a towel down on my seat while I am at the bar.

One Love!
    suzyQ

I call it the second transcendence of being naked. The first is that you lose awareness that you are naked. The second is that you lose awareness that everyone else is naked. By awareness I mean self conciousness. After you forget everyone else is naked, then you start wondering what the big fuss about naked bodies is anyway. Once you are past the first level, you will reach the second so give it time. Truly freeing experience.

Quote Originally Posted by suzyQ View Post
    Out of courtesy to others, I do put a towel down on my seat while I am at the bar.

One Love!
    suzyQ
    Of course using a towel on any seats should be a common practice. With the exception of the underwater ones at the swim up bar!

CSS April 29-May 10, 2013

I know you are all right and we will be fine! Now to get some of my weight off by May! Personal goal!!!

We usually wrap up to go to the food service at SSB, quite simply, when you're lined up for food, quite often you are standing beside the 2 or 3 tables set up for folks to sit at. No one needs nor wants a close up of ones "bits" while trying to eat, if you sit at the bar starkers, no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Piperman View Post
    We usually wrap up to go to the food service at SSB, quite simply, when you're lined up for food, quite often you are standing beside the 2 or 3 tables set up for folks to sit at. No one needs nor wants a close up of ones "bits" while trying to eat, if you sit at the bar starkers, no issue.
    We noticed this trend last January whereas in February 2010, nobody was covering to go through the line. I agree with you though. Our practice has simply been go with the majority trend. I believe it's acceptable and appropriate when getting food for the same reason you stated. Going for drinks or to the bathroom is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Piperman View Post
    Well said and that is very considerate of you.

Default Eye Contact

When my husband and I went to CTI 11/09, we waited 3 days to get up enough courage to go over to the island what a mistake....the first time over of course we went to the right and it was towards the end of the day but as has been mentioned they have a lot of fun at the island and we got sick of just listening and had to join in. I was pretty apprehensive at first and it is a little weird, but once you break the ice and get to that second level everything just falls into place and the next thing you know your dancing on the tables in the middle of the pool!!!!...We had some really great coversations and some really deep ones too....and then I noticed, people sure do make a lot of eye contact on this island....LOL!!!! But as we all know this is a very important aspect in developing relationships and listening....so maybe we should all go naked and the world would be a better place!!!! Anyway don't be afraid....just go for it and you won't regret it!!!!

Kiki

We often use a towel at lunch at SSB
    I don't care about eating in the nude or seeing others eat in the nude. Doesn't bother me in the least.
    Mostly I don't want to drop some hot grease or hot nacho cheese on my lap and burn anything important!

But you almost have to put the towel under you as well because the seats are hot by midday
    They have some of those white plastic chairs and tables. They work great but they get hot
    You can also sit at the bar but those bar stools get uncomfortable after a while.

As for awkwardness, I agree with some of the other posters
    It goes away quickly. When you are in the pool, it often doesn't seem any different than talking to your friends in the pool at home (with a suit on)
    We have a group of pretty close friends from several years of SSB. We are all spread around the country.
    The only time we get to see them is at SSB, so we have a lot of catching up to do
    They are people that I enjoy spending time with and talking to.
    We do that during the day at SSB (nude) and in the evening at dinner or the bars (clothed). Doesn't really matter if we have clothes on or not. The conversations are good and the friendships are good!

154 days til we return home....
    John

You guys are all too awesome. Reassuring! So ladies any insight on the Brazilian wax?

Brazilian waxes are awesome! A little awkward at first, be sure to go to a place that specializes in it because they will be professional. Hurts about the same as a regular bikini wax. Checkout European Wax center. Their web site answers lots of questions. If you have one nearby they do a great job and I highly recommend.

Hi SuzyQ,

Headed to CSS in Aoril for our first Couples experience. Is there a coral reef on SSB or is this on the main beach? We plan on spending all our time nude. There is a little anxiety. How does SSB compare to the Isle at CTI? Thanks for your input!