Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Waxing Tips

  1. #1

    Default Waxing Tips

    I noticed in a few of the reviews people have brought up the subject of waxing.
    I was just watching the TV Show The Doctors. They gave a few simple tips about preparing yourself for waxing that I thought I should pass on to you.
    Do not drink caffeine in any form at least 24hrs before waxing.
    20 to 30 minutes before you have the treatment take a Brufen (ibuprofen)
    tablet to help ease discomfort.
    As a final statement they said that less hair is more hygienic and healthy.
    Have any tips you would like to add?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    47

    Default

    If getting a bikini or brazilian wax, place your palm on your stomach/navel and pull upward toward your chin. Stretching the skin taut down there can help with the sting.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    50

    Default

    I always get the Brazillian wax, getting about 90% done. My rule of thumb is: Take a Motrin 1 hr. before. Buy some Orajel (for baby's teething). It will help take the edge off the sting. Then right when you get there (or 5 minutes before) down a glass of wine or, as I have become fond of, Schmirnoff Whipped Cream Flavored Vodka, and chase it with a big fresh strawberry! I'll swear to you it's the most amazing vodka you've ever tried. I have no problems at all. My waxing lady says I 'take it like a man'. Bahahaha!!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Waxing question:

    I'm getting my very first wax ever - the Brazilian - the day before I leave for CN. Is this a mistake to get one barely 24 hours before I'll be on the beach?? How common are reactions such as redness or a rash?

    Thanks for the tips! We leave in 9 days. CN here we come!!!

  5. #5

    Default

    I wouldn't say that it's a mistake, but I would say that you're cutting it a little close.

    You aren't supposed to tan or expose the skin to the sun for at LEAST 24 hours, and your skin will in all likelihood be at least a little bit raw from the waxing, so if you can, bump your waxing back a day so that you have an extra day for everything to settle down.

    If that's not possible, I wouldn't be overly worried about it, just be careful your first day on the beach.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Personally, I would get the wax at least 2-3 days before you leave. Most likely, you will be fine within a day or so, but the thought of being squeezed into a plane while sore down there is definitely not appealing. The wax lasts for a few weeks so no need to do it last minute.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikkime View Post
    Waxing question:

    I'm getting my very first wax ever - the Brazilian - the day before I leave for CN. Is this a mistake to get one barely 24 hours before I'll be on the beach?? How common are reactions such as redness or a rash?

    Thanks for the tips! We leave in 9 days. CN here we come!!!
    Mikkime, we are going to CN in mid-May. I will start getting waxed (Brazilian) in mid-April, and get it every 10 days. Each time you get it, fewer hairs grow back. If you start a month in advance, you will be in great shape for the beach. And, I would get your last wax 2 days before leaving.

    Have fun!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    154

    Default

    I don't have sensitive skin and have been getting brazilian waxes for over 10 years about every 4-6 weeks. Although there is pain, keep in mind that when you shave and get regrowth and ingrown hairs, there is pain also.

    EXFOLIATE afterwards. A Lot, starting 3 -5 days after your wax. I use an OTC apricot scrub made for face and body in the shower and then apply a cream or serum containing salicylic acid (an OTC acne medication made from a derivative of aspirin that is anti-inflammatory and helps with the red bumps), after I'm dry. Always use sunscreen.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by improvgirl View Post
    I don't have sensitive skin and have been getting brazilian waxes for over 10 years about every 4-6 weeks. Although there is pain, keep in mind that when you shave and get regrowth and ingrown hairs, there is pain also.

    EXFOLIATE afterwards. A Lot, starting 3 -5 days after your wax. I use an OTC apricot scrub made for face and body in the shower and then apply a cream or serum containing salicylic acid (an OTC acne medication made from a derivative of aspirin that is anti-inflammatory and helps with the red bumps), after I'm dry. Always use sunscreen.
    Which cream/serum do you use? I have been getting brazilians for 3+ years and always have issues with ingrowns, red bumps, etc. Thanks for your suggestions!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    154

    Default

    I use St. Ives Apricot Scrub. It's cheap and available at every drugstore. It costs about $4.99. Rub it on in the shower in circular motions. After, I blow dry on the cool setting, my whole body, and apply a serum containing salicylic acid. Look for Neutrogena or something similar and the highest salicylic acid concentration you can find. Usually it's in acne treatments you would use on your face but you can use it "down there" also. Don't use other moisturizers because they can clog pores. Don't skip a day, especially days 3 - 18. That's when ingrowns get the worst.

    You can also use those exfoliating face skin pads like you get on the Clarisonic or Olay scrubbers. Also, try to wear dresses instead of pants when it's hot... get air to the area.

  11. #11

    Default

    Actually, alcohol is a bad idea. It acts the same as caffeine and can make your skin super sensitive. So says my waxing lady! I trust her, she owns over 5 waxing salons, and only $35 for a Brazilian!
    Jamie & David
    CN 11/2005 & 10/2008 & 11/2011
    CSS 9/2007, 9/2009, 9/2010, 11/2011, 9/2012, 9/2013
    CTI 9/2013

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Tend skin is a great product for preventing in growns

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toi/Robert View Post
    I always get the Brazillian wax, getting about 90% done. My rule of thumb is: Take a Motrin 1 hr. before. Buy some Orajel (for baby's teething). It will help take the edge off the sting. Then right when you get there (or 5 minutes before) down a glass of wine or, as I have become fond of, Schmirnoff Whipped Cream Flavored Vodka, and chase it with a big fresh strawberry! I'll swear to you it's the most amazing vodka you've ever tried. I have no problems at all. My waxing lady says I 'take it like a man'. Bahahaha!!!!
    Call me next time you go...I want to be your waxing friend!

    I've learned that going to a place that specializes in waxing and Brazillians waxes is really important. It makes all the difference.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    51

    Default

    I say forget the waxing and just go for laser treatments. I used to wax - dreaded it every time. And I shaved and I tried the depilatories - bumps, rashes, etc... Then I just decided I was worth the cost of the laser treatments and went for it.

    Best thing I ever did. It takes several treatments and yes, it's a bit painful - like waxing, but I haven't had any hairs come back. I think I had about 6 treatments in 2 years time. Haven't been back in two years. Yes, it's expensive and you need to go somewhere that's reputable - not just a fly-by-night place - but it's worth it when you tally up the amount over the years that you've spent on other options.

    Of course, you should really start the laser treatments in the fall/winter because you can't do it when your skin is tanned - just fyi. So get the wax now, but think about laser for the future.

  15. #15

    Default

    I started by waxing but now we both are sugared. It pulls with the grain as to waxing that goes against it. We go every three weeks and have noticed that the more frequent that it is done, the less time for your follicals have a chance to anchor them selves and therefore less pain.

  16. #16

    Default

    One thing... If you're going to the Au Naturel side - SUNSCREEN!


    Slightly different, but related topic: Has anyone tried the NoNo hair removal thing? I was thinking about getting one for my wife, and I wonder if they work, are painful, are complicated...

    Thanks!

  17. #17

    Default Nono?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbubbajoe View Post
    One thing... If you're going to the Au Naturel side - SUNSCREEN!


    Slightly different, but related topic: Has anyone tried the NoNo hair removal thing? I was thinking about getting one for my wife, and I wonder if they work, are painful, are complicated...

    Thanks!
    Wifey is also curious.
    Ere De Fun Don Done
    Grand Lido Sans Souci Feb. 2002, Couples Negril Feb. 2010,
    Couples Negril,Feb. 2011, Couples Negril Jan. 2012,
    Cool Runnings eh!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    154

    Default

    I have only read bad reviews of the NoNo, but have not tried it myself. I did recently buy a Tria Home Laser hair removal and it Has. Changed. My. Life. I bought it from QVC and it has a 90-day return policy so I thought that would be plenty of time to give it a fair try. It doesn't work for everyone but it is working for me.

    I have very dark black hair all over my body and fair skin. Apparently this makes me an ideal candidate for laser hair removal so this device works very well for me. I use it more often than recommended on the package, and I am also using it on my face, which is not recommended, but after only 3 months, I have seen an absolutely DRAMATIC reduction in hair on my face and bikini area. It is a small device, which makes doing my legs more time consuming and difficult, but I'm still working on them bit by bit. I don't really mind shaving my legs and don't get the ingrowns as much as I do in other places, so I'm a bit lazier with the laser on them.

    The other drawback is that it is painful. You can adjust the settings but for best results, you should put it on the highest setting you can tolerate. Not what is comfortable, but what you can tolerate. So I put it on the highest setting and maybe I'm a wimp, but I think the pain is relatively intense. My only advice on that is to do small areas at a time, take a break, and then chase it with a cool cloth or ice pack. It has gotten less painful over time of using it, probably because there is less hair to "zap".

    It is expensive, about $400, but considering how hair has plagued me my entire life, it has so far been worth twice the price to me. Laser hair removal in a salon or dr. office is much more expensive. I was paying $170/month for waxing just my bikini line and face. Seriously. Plus, unlike the NoNo, you don't have to buy any replacement batteries or cartridges or anything. It's self-contained.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •