Thread: Cash vs Credit

Default Cash vs Credit

I would really like some suggestions on the amount of cash that will be needed for our trip. We are heading to CTI in 8 weeks and it's first trip to couples and out of the US. From what I've read they want you to use credit card for most things. Do they also take debit cards as well?

Well, the credit card is used so that if you want to purchase something on the resort (spa services, souvenirs or supplies from the stores, private dinner) you only need to provide your room number. I suspect you could use a debit card, although a paranoiac would suggest still using a credit card, as there are better anti-fraud protections on credit cards.

As for any cash, that depends on if you plan to leave the resort. We took along about $300 between us, in nothing bigger than a couple $20s, and came back with almost all of it, but we also never left the resort. I'd say we probably spent about $400-500 on extras at the resort (couples massage, dinner on the beach, souvenirs)

Jason
    CTI in 465 days!

How much money and what type you need depends on what you want to do. We bring $300 to $400 in cash and perfer to pay for off resort things with that and use our debit card to settle our bill with the resort at check out. If you are going to use a debit card let your bank know where and when you are going.

We have discovered that we need much less cash than we had originally thought we did. We took too much cash for our first trip and since then we take about half that much. On our sixth trip to CSA this summer we will take about $250 cash to use for tipping shuttle drivers, spa folks, baggage carriers and catamaran crew. We will do some limited shopping on the beach also. Anything spent in the gift shop is charged to your room and for airport shopping we will use a credit card. Really, only take what you want to spend. You need very little cash with you while you are at your Couples resort as when they say all inclusive, they really mean all inclusive.

Thank you all, we are not planning on leaving the resort much since this will be our first trip. I'm sure CTI will keep is busy with all they have to offer but my hubby and dad are talking about the possibility of going deep sea fishing for half a day one day. I thought a couples massage would be wonderful and bring some things back for the kids and maybe some rum if I find a kind I like that I can't get here in the states other then that not planning on spending much more.

We take $400 (small bills --- nothing larger than a $20 - mostly $5's & several $1's) because getting change can be an issue) & normally come home with most of that ..... Of course, we've been 10 times so have done all the off resort stuff so don't venture out & just buy a few trinkets from the vendors at the resort. We charge everything to our room at the resort & put it on our credit card ..... I really would not use my debit card there .... If there is an issue, it's going to be much easier to get it taken care of if it's not already out of your checking account because the credit card companies help you out & the bank isn't going to do much ..... We've never had any issues there but have at other places so would rather not risk it.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by redinthehead View Post
    How much money and what type you need depends on what you want to do. We bring $300 to $400 in cash and perfer to pay for off resort things with that and use our debit card to settle our bill with the resort at check out. If you are going to use a debit card let your bank know where and when you are going.
    Great info, thanks! I gave up credit cards a long time ago, but do have one with a $400 limit to use at check-in. I know I will be spending more than that between the spa, excursions, private dinner on the beach, and PADI certification for my fiance, so I was wondering if we could pay the extra with my Visa check card (I did notify the bank already).

Has anyone ever paid their balance at check-out with cash?
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013

Yes, we always give them our credit card when checking in, and then we settle up with cash when we check out. That way we don't come home to any balance on the credit card. They do not charge anything on it until checkout and you sign off on it, so you have the option to pay with cash instead. You charge everything to your room, and then settle up when you check out.

Yes they will take cash at checkout.

Just an FYI for those (like us) who don't use credit cards (debit only). If you have a debit card with a Visa logo (or MC for that matter) and sign for your purchases (rather than use your PIN) it is still protected in the same way as a credit card would be. Your purchases are still covered against fraud in the same way. While it would be a huge PITA if someone did use our card fraudulently as the money would come out of our bank account, it wouldn't be a problem to fight it or get visa to put the money back in the account while it was being fought.

That said, can you pay for things at the resort as you go (excursions/spa services/etc) with cash? Or does it have to be charged to a card on file?

You can't pay as you go... everything is charged to your room and you don't pay until you settle up at checkout.

WARNING: Do no use your credit card (or debit card) off the resort!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Default Pay cash at checkout....

Quote Originally Posted by jarpar View Post
    Just an FYI for those (like us) who don't use credit cards (debit only). If you have a debit card with a Visa logo (or MC for that matter) and sign for your purchases (rather than use your PIN) it is still protected in the same way as a credit card would be. Your purchases are still covered against fraud in the same way. While it would be a huge PITA if someone did use our card fraudulently as the money would come out of our bank account, it wouldn't be a problem to fight it or get visa to put the money back in the account while it was being fought.

That said, can you pay for things at the resort as you go (excursions/spa services/etc) with cash? Or does it have to be charged to a card on file?

Most things are charged to your room and then when you check out you can pay with card or cash. I do not think they charge the card but might put a hold on it.

I would also suggest you use a credit card and not a debit card for safety reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jarpar View Post

No the resort is "cashless" and everything will be charged to your room.

All resort expenditures must be charged to your room and then paid upon departure.

We also don't own a credit card, or the CC company doesn't own us. we always use our debit card at Couples.

We did have our number lifted one day here in the States. We simply called the bank and they refunded the monies while they investigated. Not a problem at all.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come