Default CN - Towels, Bugs, and more

We are starting to pack for our trip to CN in just 2 weeks! I wanted to ask a few things that have been asked in the past but I wanted to make sure the answers were still current.

Towels - When we stayed in Punta Cana we were given beach towel cards for our beach towels. This meant we could only have one towel out at a time and was somewhat inconvenient for making sure that we had towels late at night or early in the morning before that stand would open. We decided to bring our own beach towels so that we always had them in case we needed them. Is this a concern at CN? I have read to not take towels from the beach back to the room because of sand fleas so I want to make sure we plan accordingly. Please let me know if there is a towel card policy!

With regards to the sand fleas I have heard bring deet, stay of the sand after rain or at night, rinse off when returning from the beach, and don't lay directly on the sand. My question is are the sand fleas bad in the shade? I am a red head and when on the beach typically hunt for shade. Do the sand fleas come out because of the cooler sand?

Reservations...Another take away from all of the forums that I have read is to get your reservations taken care of the day you get there. My question is what happens if you change your mind after you make your reservations? We typically take vacation one day at a time and try not to have to many plans....I definitely want to do the Sunset cruise, eat at the reservation restaurant, and do Scuba diving at least once. I might want to do it twice, but won't know until after the first time i've tried! So should I make reservations assuming I will love it and cancel if necessary or should I wait until after I try it and then hope there are spots left?!? :-) ...I want to be respectful of other guests and not be a reservation hog, but I don't want to miss out on all the things I love! ...aren't these dilemmas just terrible problems to have! (sarcasm)

Finally I am interested in getting a couples massage well I am down there (work pays for it as part of our "wellness")...Does anyone know the cost, and if I am allowed to split it on two receipts? My wife and I will each have to file our own expense report and its easier to turn in a receipt each for $100 (as an example) then it is for us each to submit the same $200 receipt...

Anyways, thanks for all the help. Can't wait to get down there!

It doesn't look like you got a response so I'll try to help out....

First...towels...they give you two beach towels in your room that you can exchange each day at the little hut on the beach (not sure what to call it) You have to turn them in on your last day and get a receipt to turn in when checking out or you will be charged, but it is no big deal.

Bugs...There are so many loungers you shouldnt' have to worry about sand fleas on the towel. I think the sand fleas are out more in the evening, but some are more susceptible to them than others. There are bugs in the evening and early morning that just bite me to death, so we take a bug spray for that, but never had an issue with the sand fleas (But we don't go out on the beach at night)

Reservations....For Othaheite, you usually need to make reservations a couple days ahead of when you want to go. I think you can only go out 2-3 days. For Scuba, I think it is the day before. No need to stress, this isn't a place where you ahve to decide well ahead of time all that you want to do up front. There is PLENTY to do and plenty of time. Othaheite is definitely worth one dinner there, IMO, but all the restaurants are great so you won't miss anything at all.

The only thing I really can't help with is the spa....Maybe the prices are online? If not, you can find out when you get there. Those are not couples employees and can be tipped.

Hope that helps and hope I got all the questions. HAVE FUN...that is the key thing. Once you get there, you'll realize you don't want to plan too much and just let things happen.

Thanks for the response! I think my post got lost in the shuffle because the board didn't update for 2 days. Glad you found it!!

I agree with you about the planning but I'm trying to put my worrying wife's mind at ease that we don't have to plan to perfection, everything will just be perfect!

Hi jwrichte,

Yes, I think your question went to the second page right away. Cleversole has given you good advice, but I'll add to it.

Towels: No need to bring your own. You can exchange them as many times as you need to at the centrally located hut, or if they're out or closed, Watersports usually has some, too.

Reservations: While it's great to go with the flow, if you want to eat at Otaheite at prime time, go ahead and make reservations. I don't think you can make more than one at a time, and the window to make them opens two days beforehand.

Sand Fleas: If you're sensititive to mosquito bites, i.e. they swell up and itch horribly, bring some strong hydrocortisone cream or Benadryl, whichever works best for you. I had an unfortunate incident with them that ended up with me in the nurses station, the doctor, and two injections! Hints: Don't "play" in the sand with your toes, as this can disturb them. They are more prevalent after a rain, at sunrise and sunset. Don't ever forget to spray with Deet if you're sensitive, especially after swimming. Bullfrog works good, and it's got both sunscreen and insect repellent. If you DO end up with a lot of them, don't hesitate to go to the nurses station. The doctor doesn't take health insurance (he took my credit card, though), and when I got home, my health insurance company reimbursed me for everything.

Hope you enjoy CN as much as we have over the years. Don't forget to have the appetizer platter in Lychee along with a Lychee martini. You'll love them!

Beergirl
    Beergirl

www.kenandbrenda.shutterfly.com for my Couples videos

Getting towels is not a problem, you just take you wet ones down to the towel hut and exchange them as often as you need. The sand fleas seem to come out at sunset on the waters edge, when your waiting for the sunset cruse, so bring some spray with you, other than that we've not had aproblem. As fare as diving and doing other things you can make your reservations the same day. And the couples massage is great, the rates are on the home page under Spa, I wish my company would pay for ours, we get 2 or 3 each time we go.

We just got back and we had a couples massage that we each had to sign for. It was 2 receipts. No-see-ems come out in the evenings, and while they don't bother me, they do bite my wife some. Of course I swear by the fact I use skin so soft after I shower and that keeps them off. You do get 2 beach towels in the room, and we will from time to time get an extra 1 or 2 from the towel hut, they will take your room number and then we turn them back to them. We have never taken a receipt to the front desk as check out, nor have we ever been charged for towels, so we are either lucky, or ignorant and get away with it . Most reservations can be made the day before, and if you are lucky, they may allow you to make it the same day if they are not full. Enjoy it, I miss it and have only been back 3 days.

We've never had to get a receipt for our towels either...at CN or CSA. We just left them in the room and never got charged for them. This is the first I've even heard of it. Is it a new thing, since last year or were we just lucky also?