Thread: Tipping....?

Default Tipping....?

Hello everyone!!! We are going to CSA in April (getting married YAY!) and I was wondering how much cash we should bring for tipping. I know that you can't tip those who work for the resort, so who all do you tip and how much? What about the spa people?

People who can be tipped cash: shuttle driver, spa employees, catamaran cruise staff. I think the Couples Lounge folks at Montego Bay are not employees, so a couple of bucks are good for them, too (correct me if I am wrong).

Here is the question about the Couples Sangester lounge employees being employeed directly by Couples and therefore not being "tipable", or not. I'm not sure and so far no one else is either. I wish this could be cleared up so I, or someone else doesn't cost someone a job just because we didn't know.

Hi!
    Congrats on your upcoming wedding! As for tipping, here's what we do---the baggage handlers at the airport, we give $1-$2 per bag. Our shuttle driver we give $10 per person---he's driven us a significant distance and got us to paradise in one piece so I think we can give him $2o. As for spa staff, I tip what I would do at home, 20% of the bill.

Hope this helps!
    suzyQ

Baggage handlers $2-3/bag
    Driver $20
    Cat Cruise $10
    Spa 20% of treatment

OH my....I always thought the people at the Couples Lounge were Couples employees so we did not tip. If no one knows for sure I will simply ask next time we go through.

If you are getting married as we did we tipped the minister $50.00. We also gave the resort photographer money. It was either $25 or$50 I cant remember.

Fluffin - Airport lounge staff are Couples Employees so the no tipping rule applies there as well.

Couples Resorts

Tangles66, thanks for that info. I didn't even think about tips for the minister and photographer.

We've never been to a Couples resort yet, first trip is booked for next Spring. However, reading through these message boards, I'm confused about the tipping policy. Couples has said they have a no tipping rule. Past guests state they tip staff. I don't ever like to be "cheap" and not tip service workers that do a good job. However if a fee I pay that supposedly includes the tip, I don't generally add a tip for "general purpose". It appears that there is quite the conundrum here with the policy of tipping.

CSS April 29-May 10, 2013

va couple - there really is no conundrum...

Yes, we have a no tipping policy. It is strictly enforced and staff may lose their jobs if caught accepting any tips. We appreciate your sentiment however ask that you respect our no tipping policy. The ONLY exception is spa staff.

All staff participate in a generous profit sharing plan.

Try to think of it this way: Imagine that the resort is a theatre putting on a play. Actors (bartenders, waiters, waitresses, etc) are the only employees you see on stage. Yet, there are dozens of people behind the scene helping to ensure that their performance is the best it can be. While these people are not visible, they are equally important to the success of the play.

You only see the actors... No Tipping!

Couples Resorts

Great analogy, Randymon! We've heard a similar explanation from staff we've met during Repeater's Dinner at CN.

Thank you for the clarification on the lounge employees Randy. I would have felt horrible if they were non-Couples staff and we had not been tipping along the way.

See you in August I hope!! We met Gary last August so it would be great to meet you this time!

We tip the spa, the porters, and the bus driver ($20 for the two of us). Make sure you tip them, I have see people stiff the drivers, they are not resort employees. Leave the rest of your $$ for buying stuff on the beach and leaving the resort.

Randymon,

Very well said!

Tip by mentioning good service of staff by name on the exit servey. Also, ask for their name, ask about their lives, and tell them they are doing a great job.

Life is good

Thank you guys so much!!! I would have never thought about tipping the minister!!! This has been a great help!!!

Great post Randy. Its great to hear it from the top!! Thanks for responding!

Quote Originally Posted by randymon View Post
    Yet, there are dozens of people behind the scene helping to ensure that their performance is the best it can be. While these people are not visible, they are equally important to the success of the play.

You only see the actors... No Tipping!
    Great analogy Randy!!! 7 Days and counting to CSS!!!