Thread: Airfare from NC

Default Airfare from NC

What is the typical airfare paid to fly from the southeast US? I've found tickets for around $420 apiece, and think it's an okay deal. Our trip isn't until May, so we've got plenty of time. In fact, if I booked them now, I'm sure the itineraries would change before we leave anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DFWOKCWS View Post
    What is the typical airfare paid to fly from the southeast US? I've found tickets for around $420 apiece, and think it's an okay deal. Our trip isn't until May, so we've got plenty of time. In fact, if I booked them now, I'm sure the itineraries would change before we leave anyway.
    if you feel strongly your itineraries will change what is the upside of booking now? most airline charge 50-150 to change a non refundable ticket. You may find revisting your quest about 3 month before your departure date. Google flight tracker and i am sure you find several tool that can give you enough data to make a solid choice

I think that is a little high. We are flying out this week and our airfare from Orlando, stopping in Charlotte, was $326.00 a piece. Because you are not going until May, I would wait a little while longer before booking tickets.

Therein lies the rub - all airfare is subjective, depending upon where/when you're flying from/to.

We fly from Richmond Va; two years ago, a mid-September trip to Jamaica was about $530/person (including taxes); last year was more in the $660/person range. This year, we grabbed it early on when it was $445 (and it did get cheaper, but not by much). And, of course, time of year plays into things - that same mid-September flight is higher at Christmas, springtime flights, etc.

As mentioned above, do some rooting around online (just be sure you're comparing apples and oranges - some sites and airlines include taxes, some don't!) Get a feel for what "normal" is for your travel cities, and then when the prices dip, you'll know if you should grab it or not.

We are flying directly out of Charlotte to Montego Bay and it is about $400 each for us, but we are traveling the week of Thanksgiving, so I think when you travel makes a difference in the price too. I agree with the others and would wait to make the reservation unless you are travelling at a time that you expect to have an issue getting a flight.

Quote Originally Posted by DFWOKCWS View Post
    I fly out of Charlotte every year and airfare runs btw $800-900 so tha's a fair price. We have been getting on the same flights for 7 years now so itineraries won't probably change. Clt is a very expensive place to fly out of.
    ... it keepsh me shane

We Traveled from RDU this past April for $400 each. I also have been looking for April 2010. Have not booked air yet, seeing the same $420 you are.

I find it amazing that it is less expensive to fly US Air from RDU, connecting in CLT to Montego Bay than it is to fly directly to CLT. We're in Winston-Salem, and it is much more convenient to fly out of CLT, but we usually have to fly out of RDU (many of our flights are home to DFW and OKC) because it's so much cheaper. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by Lovjamaica View Post
    I fly out of Charlotte every year and airfare runs btw $800-900 so tha's a fair price. We have been getting on the same flights for 7 years now so itineraries won't probably change. Clt is a very expensive place to fly out of.
    I really don't understand airline pricing. We're flying through Charlotte on our way to MBJ from Connecticut in December and we're only paying $489 per person. We booked this flight way back at the end of January. Doesn't seem to make sense to me...

Tammy

Lovjamaica, I am assuming that is for both of you, not individual tickets.

DFWOKCWS, flying out of Charlotte is more because it is a hub for them and they have no competition or virtually no competition. When I lived in Charlotte I would drive to Greensboro to catch a flight that would take me through Charlotte, but it would be a couple of hundred dollars cheaper.

We paid 315.81 per ticket on US Airways non stop Charlotte to Montego Bay. I purchased those tickets on 7 April 2009. Try kayak. I research fares there. Anything less than 450.00 from the South East is a good deal IMO. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Lovjamaica, I am assuming that is for both of you, not individual tickets.

DFWOKCWS, flying out of Charlotte is more because it is a hub for them and they have no competition or virtually no competition. When I lived in Charlotte I would drive to Greensboro to catch a flight that would take me through Charlotte, but it would be a couple of hundred dollars cheaper.
    Correct - that's for 2 people. I can't handle the extra drive and airport time driving to Greensboro and could get cheaper flights if I connected in another city but I like to get on the plane and get off in JA and board and get off in CLT and pay about $350 addl for that luxury.
    ... it keepsh me shane

I purchased our tickets from CLT to MBJ a month ago for our trip late-May 2010 for $476 each. However, after you add all the taxes and check one bag (and buy travel insurance through them...I booked flight separately), it ends up being $1009. I did book through a site (not sure if I can say the name here?) that starts with an O that has a price assurance guarantee, so that makes me feel better. However, since I booked, our return flight was cancelled so they put us on the next flight out. Just hope that nothing else changes!

We live in the Raleigh-Durham area, and it was slightly cheaper for us to drive to Charlotte, stay in a hotel the night before, and fly out of Charlotte than out of RDU (and I took gas, hotel room, parking, and meals into account)! That was kind of surprising for me to figure out. The only difference between the two itineraries was the leg out of and back to RDU.

We just booked our trip for June of next year, and was hoping to be able to find a good airline by benefit of having time to shop and compare. When typically is the best time to purchase the flights for June. We live in Raleigh, but fly from either RDU or CLT as the in-laws live there.

Quote Originally Posted by claire7676 View Post
    I purchased our tickets from CLT to MBJ a month ago for our trip late-May 2010 for $476 each. However, after you add all the taxes and check one bag (and buy travel insurance through them...I booked flight separately), it ends up being $1009. I did book through a site (not sure if I can say the name here?) that starts with an O that has a price assurance guarantee, so that makes me feel better. However, since I booked, our return flight was cancelled so they put us on the next flight out. Just hope that nothing else changes!

We live in the Raleigh-Durham area, and it was slightly cheaper for us to drive to Charlotte, stay in a hotel the night before, and fly out of Charlotte than out of RDU (and I took gas, hotel room, parking, and meals into account)! That was kind of surprising for me to figure out. The only difference between the two itineraries was the leg out of and back to RDU.
    I guess then there is a possibility we'll be on the same flight! I haven't booked anything yet, but we leave May 22, 2010 (so so far away!)

I'm seeing lots of weird options for flight times on the way home. We may not leave MBJ until 3:30, fly through Miami with an overnight stop (and take full advantage of the city!) Then fly on to Charlotte the next afternoon.

Also: Is it possible to get to CSA too early? We're looking at a flight that puts us in at 10:30 or so. I know that with customs, the drive and check in we still may not have a room ready at that time. Do they go ahead and turn you free at the resort if you get there before, say, 2?

we just booked our tickets last night.....we use kayak as well. We paid about $420 for our apr. 08 trip (booked in Aug 08) and are paying $449 for our Dec 11th 09 trip. We fly straight from Atl to MBJ. Looked at Charlotte but they were higher. We are in Augusta so have to drive two hours regardless. Anything around the $400-$450 range is likely, especially since Air Jamaica pulled out of some major cities in the southeast. Good luck!