Default Needs some help deciding

Hi, I know this has been asked a million times so sorry for making it one million and one.

My hubby and I booked a butler suite at Sandals Ocho Rios. It's $3,100 for 7 nights. We were able to get a great deal on air fare and have our tickets.

I am having doubts about Sandals. There are many negative reviews. Sandals also seems much more expensive than Couples but Couples seems to offer more i.e. excursions. We are able to cancel the resort portion of our trip because we're far enough out (April 2010).

We have been looking at Couples Sans Souci.

Anyone been to both S Ocho Rios and Couples in Ocho Rios and can give us some advice?

I like the idea of Ocho Rios because I want to see Dunns River Falls and maybe Dolphin Cove.

THe important things to us are: relaxation, quiet with not too much hassle from vendors, snorkeling and good food and service.

Do all of the suites at Couples get that 30 minute massage or just people on their honeymoon?

Thanks!

I have never been to S, but we were at CSS last December and are going back this December. We would't go anywhere else. You don't need to worry about vendors, the only ones on the resort are those allowed by the resort, and they are never pushy, but are friendly if you stop to talk to them. The snorkling is included in you price at Couples. We didn't go because it was rather rough the week we were there, and my husband has breathing problems, but from what I hear it is pretty good. You only get the 30 min massage if you are on your honeymoon, or if you are a returning guest who is a Romance Rewards memember (easy and free to sign up) I researched both resorts before we went last year, and choose couples because of all the inclusions. We definitely do not regret our decision.
    Linda

I have not been to any S resort, but I have been to San Souci and your important things hit the nail right on the head with that one! Because San Souci is on a private beach, you will not have to deal with any vendors at all. The views at CSS are absolutely breathtaking and the atmosphere is very relaxed, so you will have no problem relaxing there. The snorkeling is great (we were taken to a sunken ship site) and the food/service are unbeatable! I would definately save myself some money and cancel the other reservation to stay at San Souci...in my humble opinion, you will not be giving up a thing! One of the great things about Couples is that they are truly all-inclusive. Every guest gets the same outstanding inclusions and service, no matter which room category they book.

Sorry though, the Couples massage is an extra for honeymooners and repeat guests (with Romance Rewards).

Hope this helps!

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

CSS all the way no doubt!!! We had friends honeymoon at the S resort you're booked at and never heard any rave reviews from them but we LOVE CSS probably best of all the Couples resorts and it's the most romantic and best for a honeymoon. Check out these pics and you will be changing your reservation:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tweedpi...7611267023476/

Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

FYI - We're not supposed to mention other resorts by name.

CSS is much nicer than any of the other places in the area.

You can't go wrong at CSS. First class all the way.
    nobody's favorite poster

I have been to "S" Ocho Rios. While we had a nice time there, it was not perfect by any means. We quickly learned that the "no tipping" policy there was not enforced. If you wanted great drinks, your beach chairs 'reserved' or anything else special, a $5 bill (or more) worked well. You could certainly tell who was tipping the staff regularly as those people were treated like royalty. We were actually looking at going back to a "S" resort when we discovered Couples on the web. The message board has been fantastic! We are at 26 days and counting til we arrive in paradise. If the price is better and the resort is better, why wouldn't you switch?
    Lucy

oh sorry didn't know I should have typed out "S"'s name. I think we will be switching!

Next question: which category of room? We're thinking either the penthouse or the one bedroom beachfront.

What I like about Couples the most and the thing that keeps me from trying the S resorts is that no matter what room category you book at Couples you are treated the same. At the S resort the amenities go up with the price of the room. I don't want to have to pay more for a room to get room service.......
    I don't want to feel that I am being treated differently by the room classification......

CSS is fantastic! Romance abounds, and you truly can't help but feel it. It is what I like to refer to as a Disneyland for adults, and I can't wait to return next year!

I haven't been to S, but have been to Couples 3 times with #4 & #5 booked.

I can tell you that S treats guests differently depending on the room classification that they purchased. And to tell the classification difference you have to wear a wrist band. At Couples, all guests are treated the same, no matter what room you booked and there are NO wrist bands! YEAH!!

There is absolutely NO tipping at Couples. Employees will loose their jobs for accepting tips. Even though you can not tip, you are still treated like royalty.

At CSS, it is a private beach without any vendors on the beach or in the water.

And the food at Couples is fabulous!

Finally, CSS will fit the bill to a "T" for relaxation. There are no wild and crazy parties. It is all about being a Couple, being in love, and spending time with your hunny. The nights are quiet and VERY romantic!

Change your reservation!!!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I have been to the place you are referring to - no comparison. We went to Couples Negril first. Next trip was to the S place with some friends. So disappointed. Went to Couples Swept Away this June - absolutely fantastic. We will never go back to the S resort. We learned our lesson.

I'm at CSS I rented a car today and drove around I would like being where Sandel O.R. is I wouldn,t want to walk outside to smoke a cig. Try CSS or CSA

We have been to S Ochos Rios and S all together 3 times.. Love S, but like you,, we were looking at different resorts and for the price we are trying out Couples for the first time. If you go with either S or Couples, I am not sure that you could go wrong. We are staying at Couples Swept Away and arrive in 11 more days,, I can let you know what the differences are once we return home. Congrats anyway on which ever you chose.

Quote Originally Posted by DreaminofJamaica2010 View Post
    oh sorry didn't know I should have typed out "S"'s name. I think we will be switching!

Next question: which category of room? We're thinking either the penthouse or the one bedroom beachfront.

We absolutely LOVE the one bedroom ocean suites buildings E & G best of all. Know others that swear by the penthouse suites in building D. You can't fo wrong with either I'm just to cheap to spring for a penthouse. I think the penthouse suites blow away the beachfront suites. Actually the Hibiscus suite is totally life styles of the rich & famous if it's in the budget. It's the BEST room of ALL the Couples resorts. Hoping to book that one in 10 years for our 25th anniversary.
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

We have been to many of the 'S' resorts, several in jamaica. We now visit Couples if that tells you anything

in march we stayed at css and saw both the penthouse and the one bedroom beachfront. personally i like the beachfront better

we were in your shoes two years ago and chose couples over the s resort. We went to CSS and are getting ready to head back there in 104 days! We stayed in an oceanfront suite w/balcony and loved it! We are trying a beachfront suite this time for location and I am sure we will love it too. There isn't a bad room in CSS, they are all wonderful. The main thing about CSS is that you never feel like you are at a resort....and they spoil you rotten!!