Default AirTran to begin service

Great news for all us Florida folks ! Air Tran has great prices and just in time too for our December flight. Hope all goes well with the DOT

AirTran Airways Files Applications to Fly to Nassau, Montego Bay and Aruba
    - Airline Plans to Expand Operations in the Caribbean by Year's End -

ORLANDO, Fla., Aug. 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI), today filed applications with the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) to begin offering service to Nassau, Bahamas; Montego Bay, Jamaica; and the island of Aruba.

If approved, service to the three popular tourist destinations would begin later this year and early in 2010 from a combination of key cities.

"Adding our low-cost, high-quality service from some of our largest operations to some of the most popular destinations in the Caribbean is a win-win for consumers and for AirTran Airways," said Kevin Healy, senior vice president, marketing and planning. "There's nothing quite like jetting off to a tropical island in the middle of Winter, and we look forward to making that possible from some of the largest cities in our network."

In the application, the airline proposes service to Nassau and Montego Bay from Atlanta, Baltimore and Orlando; while service to Aruba would originate in Atlanta and Orlando. More information on flights, equipment and fares will be made available upon receipt of DOT approval.

AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc.(NYSE: AAI), and a Fortune 1000 company, has been ranked the number one low cost carrier in the Airline Quality Rating study for the past two years. AirTran is the only major airline with Wi-Fi on every flight and offers coast-to-coast service on North America's newest all-Boeing fleet. Its low-cost, high-quality product also includes assigned seating, Business Class and complimentary XM Satellite Radio on every flight. To book a flight, visit www.airtran.com.

Media Contacts: AirTran Airways
    Christopher White
    Cynthia Tinsley-Douglas

SOURCE AirTran Airways

AirTran Airways, Christopher White, or Cynthia Tinsley-Douglas, +1-678-254-7442

I fly out of the Orlando airport and I'm really excited. Jetblue is also starting direct service from Orlando. Now I'm curious about the flight times. Until now the only direct flight is Air Jamaica and it doesn't get you into Jamaica until late afternoon and it's return flight is in the morning. But I am worried what this is going to do to poor Air Jamaica.

Oh hell yes!!!! Great news!!!

This'll be great for us in RIC, give us another option besides US Airways. AirTran has a few flights coming out of here, and it's pricing has kept US Airways in check in some key routes.

That's great news! Dayton is a hub for Airtran and recently added PR so hoping they add MBJ that would just be fantastic. Airtran is the only airline we have ever flown that has consistently had great rates and customer service and has never lost our luggage.
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

IMHO Jet Blue and AirTran are miles ahead of USAIR, United and Delta with regards to how they treat their customers..

This is good news!

Glad to see Baltimore on the list also

Yay!! I live in Atlanta, and can't wait for them to start MBJ service. I wish it would be in place for our trip next week. I sure miss the non-stop from Air Jamaica! I hate the connection in Miami...have never made it out of there on time!
    Jamie & David
    CN 11/2005 & 10/2008 & 11/2011
    CSS 9/2007, 9/2009, 9/2010, 11/2011, 9/2012, 9/2013
    CTI 9/2013