Default Timair or Air Link?

Starting to plan our 2013 trip and wondering about the difference in the two flight options. Mainly I'm wanting to know if reservations are the best way to go for 4 people? I've read that timair will wait for you since they are charter only. My concern is that with the cheaper scheduled flight on Air Link they won't wait or we would wait of we were early.

We've used TimAir once and International Air Link once. We used charter service for both (IAL offers both charter service and has daily, scheduled flights.). Well, it turned out that we only used IAL one half time. When we arrived at the Negril Aerodome for our return flight to MBJ we were told by IAL that all their planes were in Kingston and that their "friends" from TimAir were going to take is to MoBay. So after a half hour wait we were put on a TimAir flight with another couple. We felt like we were intruding on their space and that IAL's service could have been better. Luckily, the lines at MBJ weren't as bad as on some trips or we probably would have missed our flight home. We're going to stick with TimAir in the future. That was our experience.

I suggest to get reservations. If you don't, you run the risk of having to wait for a plane to be fueled and a flight plan filed. That would take away from your "beach time"...lol. With reservations they'll be ready for you when you arrive. With or without reservations, you won't have to pay anything until you arrive in Jamaica.
    Last edited by NeedBlueWater; February 27th, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

We booked TimAir for our return flight from Negril to MoBay. It was only a small amount more that AirLink but we could chose our departure time and will enjoy a private flight. The added bonus is that my wife is scared crazy over flying in such a small plane and I get to tease her about it for a couple more weeks.

Sorry can't quote you AirLink since we have never used them but it is my understanding they have only scheduled times they fly and depending on when your flight arrives, or if you get delayed in customs etc, you may have to wait for your flight. TimAir on the other hand is a charter and your pilot is ready and waiting upon your arrival what ever time you arrive and you brought to their check in after having a Redstripe in the Couples lounge and off you go for your 12 minute flight to Negril with a ready CSA ride to CSA. Remember to bring tipping money for the pilot, bag boy, and cab driver since they are independent of Couples and can accept tips! Whichever you choose you won't be dissapointed. FYI: they don't fly after dusk!Name:  CSA 12-9;12-12 019.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  28.8 KB

My wife and our friends took Air Link a few weeks ago and it went smooth. I made reservations with Leisa and she was great to work with. I booked with her 4 months prior to the vacation. Also, we sent a a check to avoid a crazy transaction fee per person. Chances are you will get your own plane for the 4 in your party. Our flight into Montego Bay was late and Air Link had no problem waiting for us. I just posted our vacation video on the facebook fan page which shows a little of the plane ride. Good luck

Blondie, great pic of Little Bay Country Club! We are hoping to see the property early next year when more is finished.

[QUOTE=blondie56;164413]TimAir on the other hand is a charter and your pilot is ready and waiting upon your arrival what ever time you arrive and you brought to their check in after having a Redstripe in the Couples lounge and off you go for your 12 minute flight to Negril with a ready CSA ride to CSA. Remember to bring tipping money for the pilot, bag boy, and cab driver since they are independent of Couples and can accept tips! QUOTE]

Blondie, when you say a after a some RedStripe in the Couples lounge, do you mean, go there first after bags and customs and then go to TimAir counter? Or should we go to Tim Air counter and then to the Couple lounge? And when you say "with a ready CSA ride to CSA" do you mean that CSA provides transportation from the Negril airport? Or do we take an independent cab? Thanks in advance.

Two years ago we took TimAir and last year we took Air Link. Frankly both are great and I didn't see a lot of difference between them. We actually waited a bit longer for the TimAir plane than we did for the AirLink plane. We got thru customs last year faster than we expected and Air Link took us early. In both cases the plane was so small only two couples (plus the pilot) could fit. So even if you take a scheduled Air Link flight and the other couple is there, they go regardless of what time it is. That's what happened to us last year. We're going back next week and have booked Air Link so we'll have another data point at that time. One thing is clear.... 15 minutes of spectacular views from the air beats an hour and half on the shuttle!

Quote Originally Posted by blondie56 View Post
    Sorry can't quote you AirLink since we have never used them but it is my understanding they have only scheduled times they fly and depending on when your flight arrives, or if you get delayed in customs etc, you may have to wait for your flight.
    FYI - this is not entirely true. Intl AirLink does have charter flights. For an extra $10pp they'll have the plane ready to leave within 15 mins of clearing customs.