Thread: Painted Palms

Default Painted Palms

When we were @ TI in June, we noticed the bottom of the palm trees were painted white. Is their a reason or just because? Just curious.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's to keep the bugs off of them.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014

CB - 2015

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure its a special paint (or something) that helps to keep the ants and whatnot off so they don't destroy the trees.

Well, that would make sense! Thanks!

It is to keep bugs, ants mainly, off. The paint contains a chemical or pesticide that actually would kill the bug.

Another reason is to keep things from attempting to climb the trees, the paint makes it slick so they fall off.
    Irie Mon

Sorry, guys, but the paint is there for nothing more than decoration. For years, people painted the trunks of Royal Palms in Florida with white paint in the hope that it would prevent insects from crawling up them. In fact, it does nothing to stop the bugs. The practice was extended to Coconut Palms during the first serious onslaught of Lethal Yellows back in the early 1960s. Again, the treatment was useless and the City of Miami lost almost half of their Coconuts.

The paint does prevent various lichens from taking hold and is often pressure-washed and repainted to keep the stately appearance intact. But as far as preventing any form of pest or disease, it's only a myth.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

It's regular old paint does nothing for ants head gardner at CTI said it was just decorative. You see it all over the caribbean.
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

So you won't walk into them after a few to many late at night!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimcarol View Post
    So you won't walk into them after a few to many late at night!!

Yep that's exactly what I thought to!
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

Quote Originally Posted by jon1963 View Post
    It is to keep bugs, ants mainly, off. The paint contains a chemical or pesticide that actually would kill the bug.

Another reason is to keep things from attempting to climb the trees, the paint makes it slick so they fall off.
    ok what is the correct response
    a) decorative
    b) pesticide

place you bets