Default CTI Guests Give Back through Issa Trust Foundation

ABOUT OUR TRIP TO THE THREE HILLS PRIMARY SCHOOL
    February 21, 2012

Mr. and Mrs. Ponczek, vacation at Couples Resorts, and also stop to make a difference thru Issa Trust Foundation.

Beverly shared her story and said, “Last summer, we collected and donated enough school supplies to fill six boxes weighing just over 60 pounds. There were back packs, spiral notebooks and notebook filler paper, construction paper, pads of wide-lined paper for the younger students, sticky notes, crayons, colored pencils, index cards, colored markers, pencils, pencil sharpeners, erasers, scissors, glue sticks, flash cards, boxes of encouragement stickers and a few other things for their very special teachers.

For our ninth trip to Couples Tower Isle, we had gathered supplies to fill a medium sized suitcase for our trip to the school. More of things like mentioned above, extra goodies for the teachers and a small amount of dental care items.

Thanks to the Issa Trust Foundation’s President and CEO, Diane Pollard, we were met at Couples Tower Isle by Alex Ghisays, Couples’ Group Public Relations Director. We were so excited when she came to pick us up for our special field trip! It was a pleasure to meet her.

These children are truly God’s gift. They are so quick to smile, and I know they enjoyed having us there as much as we enjoyed being there with them. They looked so nice in their neatly pressed uniforms. Their happy faces are shining examples of “happy feels better” (something I tell my grandchildren). An education empowers each one of them to be whatever they believe they can be without limits. It’s the single most important thing to a youngster’s perception of their own value in the world. It allows them to dream big and know they matter.

It struck me how much we take for granted, because we can run out to the dollar store and stock up on these things we sent any time we like. If people don’t pitch in, they will, no doubt, run short of supplies once again. While their learning spaces are small and cramped, we were told by Alex that a new building is to be constructed to help alleviate that issue.

As much as we are able to help, we are so happy to do that, because we really reap the benefits from giving and helping others to give. It gives you a purpose outside of your own personal experience and also just plain lifts you up!

Because there are currently180 students (100 boys and 80 girls), I felt bad that we were only able to collect and send eight back packs. I would very much like to continue with this project for the benefit of the children who attend the Three Hills Primary School. We would like to find a way to engage a company in some discounting so we could get a back pack for each child with some spare for new students. With hope and faith all things are possible.”
    Name:  Three Hills Primary School-1 (2).jpg
Views: 832
Size:  45.3 KBName:  Three Hills Primary School-4 (2).jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  49.6 KB

Couples Resorts

Attachment 0Name:  IMG_1427.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  38.1 KBName:  IMG_1428.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  52.4 KBName:  IMG_1433.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  43.8 KB

My husband and I have sponsored a school in Westmoreland Parish near Negril since 2008. Before that we created a small library in the parish of Trelawny near Falmouth. Every year we bring 2 large suitcases with a total of 100 pounds of school supplies to Broughton Primary School. As an elementary special education teacher I knew the students in my school would love to help other children. So every 2 years they collect school supplies and we take them to Jamaica. I also shop at dollar stores for supplies and stickers for the teachers. The children's books are what the children in Jamaica want the most. They love to read and to have a book that they can call their own brings them great joy. There are times when I have so many supplies in my garage that I have my sister or friends going to CSA take suitcases of supplies for me. Sponsoring the school is the real purpose of our Jamaica trips.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Last year I traded email with Ms. Diane Pollard (of the Issa Trust Foundation) about school supplies. At that time pencils were very much needed--many children were sharing a few. I teach elementary school, and am thankful that all of my students have their own pencils! I brought many dozen pencils in my luggage, and was happy to deliver them to the main office at CTI, where the staff assured me they would be brought to the school.

This year I've been trying to decide what to bring. I stopped at Target today to get some last minute items, and I thought of this thread. I went to the luggage department and there were some really cute backpack/messenger type bags on clearance. I bought 6 of them. I'll bring them with us when we go back to CTI on Saturday.

This original post already has 263 views. If even half of the folks reading along brought even one backpack, all the children at the Three Hills Primary School would have a backpack! I encourage anyone headed to Couples this spring to think about joining in helping the schools.

--Bridget

Quote Originally Posted by Godiva View Post
    Last year I traded email with Ms. Diane Pollard (of the Issa Trust Foundation) about school supplies. At that time pencils were very much needed--many children were sharing a few. I teach elementary school, and am thankful that all of my students have their own pencils! I brought many dozen pencils in my luggage, and was happy to deliver them to the main office at CTI, where the staff assured me they would be brought to the school.

This year I've been trying to decide what to bring. I stopped at Target today to get some last minute items, and I thought of this thread. I went to the luggage department and there were some really cute backpack/messenger type bags on clearance. I bought 6 of them. I'll bring them with us when we go back to CTI on Saturday.

This original post already has 263 views. If even half of the folks reading along brought even one backpack, all the children at the Three Hills Primary School would have a backpack! I encourage anyone headed to Couples this spring to think about joining in helping the schools.

--Bridget
    Bridget,

We will be at CTI in Jan. 2013 and would like to bring some school items. Who would we contact there to make sure it gets to the school? We can't bring a lot, but a backpack full of supplies would be manageable for us.

Thanks,
    Debbie

My wife works for a event production and they get lots of toys, clothes, tooth paste etc. last week over dinner we were talking who to donate this great items too. When i saw this message I contact the office located in Fla. They were happy to hear that they will receive this. Please anything helps. When we went to CTI last month we took school supplies to donate. We couldn't get to the school to drop them off cause it was the weekend and it was hero day. What we did was had a driver take us for a tour around town. When we saw kids playing or walking around we honk at them and called them over. I wish you could of been there to see their faces when we gave the school supplies out. One little boy around 12yrs touch our heart, cause when we gave it to him he told me " thank you sir, you so kind". It was like he hit the lotto for millions. This is why our hearts go out to our love island.
    Please help.
    Ralph n Karla
    Ralph <3 Karla

2005 Photo contest winners

One of our favourite staff members at CSS, Margaret Clarke, has been working on her high school teaching certificate through correspondence. From February to July of this year, I was tutoring her a bit in Calculus through e-mails and phone calls. She was offered a teaching position at Ferncourt High School in September, so is no longer behind the guest services desk at Sans Souci, but is now fulfilling her dream of teaching high school mathematics.

Karen and I are going to CSS Dec 1st to the 8th to renew our wedding vows, and will be making a trip to Ferncourt High School sometime during the week to deliver 200 math compasses and protractors (something that Margaret said they were in desperate need of), and as many packs of loose-leaf paper and pencils that our baggage weight will allow. As a retired high school math teacher, I am very excited about seeing the set up of a high school in Jamaica, and really looking forward to seeing Margaret again, in her new career! We will post pictures upon our return.
    (Karen&Paul)

Paul!
    Thank you for the update on Margaret and congratulations to you and Karen on your upcoming vow renewal! Sorry we won't be at CSS at the same time so we could offer our good wishes to the two of you in person! Please post pictures when you get home!

All the Best!!!!
    suzyQ

Quote Originally Posted by suzyQ View Post
    Paul!
    Thank you for the update on Margaret and congratulations to you and Karen on your upcoming vow renewal! Sorry we won't be at CSS at the same time so we could offer our good wishes to the two of you in person! Please post pictures when you get home!

All the Best!!!!
    suzyQ
    Thanks so much for the good wishes Suzette, we will indeed post pictures when we get back. It's too bad our paths won't cross on this trip! Enjoy your holiday at the end of December!
    (Karen&Paul)

Mostly just bumping this thread.

Obviously, all supplies are welcome but any word on the current needs?

We are headed to CSS in April and I would love to know what is needed for local schools. Last year, we dropped off 12 dozen pencils and loose leaf paper and constuction paper to the front desk at the resort. Not sure if that is what is needed at this time, so I'd love some feedback on this.

Me, too! Headed to CTI in about 50 days, would love to know what to bring this year.