Default Benefits to travel agents

Hi all,

My fiance and I are looking to book at Couples SS for our honeymoon this July. I've never planed a major vacation before, so I checked with a couple of travel agents to see if they could get us a deal beyond what we can do on our own. Both travel agents that I have contacted are quoting us the same prices that we could get just booking ourselves online.

Are their any benefits to using a travel agent if they aren't getting you any sort of deals on the prices, especially when going to an all inclusive like the Couples resorts, where it appears pretty much all of our needs will easily be met?

Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by anbass View Post
    Hi all,

My fiance and I are looking to book at Couples SS for our honeymoon this July. I've never planed a major vacation before, so I checked with a couple of travel agents to see if they could get us a deal beyond what we can do on our own. Both travel agents that I have contacted are quoting us the same prices that we could get just booking ourselves online.

Are their any benefits to using a travel agent if they aren't getting you any sort of deals on the prices, especially when going to an all inclusive like the Couples resorts, where it appears pretty much all of our needs will easily be met?

Thanks for your input!
    On our last trip our flight was cancelled when we got to the airport due to mechanical malfunction. There was no way for us to get to the resort that day. Called TA and she took care of rescheduling our trip an extra day without fees. Would Couples do it also? Probably, but I like using Travel Agents, I like having someone in the process representing my interest in case something goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by anbass View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks for your input!
    I think you'll find answers on both sides. You have to decide what works for your situation, I always book through a travel agent. She does all the double-checking for me. Sometimes airlines change their schedule and don't bother to tell you. I have read on the message board that some people have found that flights have been cancelled and no notice given. To me, a big concern is that summer means hurricane season. We just missed a hurricane two years ago. It was so nice to have a travel agent to soothe my frazelled nerves. Your call.

We used to use a travel agent that we knew but after several trips to Jamaica & booking trips myself within the US, I just started doing it myself .... I prefer having the control over it & was basically doing it all anyway to get what we wanted & just having her do the booking. Even when flights have been cancelled or changed, it's been no issue getting it taken care of myself. It's up to what you feel most comfortable with ..... She was never able to save us any money over what deals I could find myself, though.
    Julie

[QUOTE=Maxernie;168434]We used to use a travel agent that we knew but after several trips to Jamaica & booking trips myself within the US, I just started doing it myself .... I prefer having the control over it & was basically doing it all anyway to get what we wanted & just having her do the booking. Even when flights have been cancelled or changed, it's been no issue getting it taken care of myself. It's up to what you feel most comfortable with ..... She was never able to save us any money over what deals I could find myself, though. [/ QUOTE]

I booked our upcoming May trip thru Expedia. It all depends on your comfort level. I checked with an agent, and 3 online sites before booking with Expedia. Got a good deal including the trip insurance. I don't worry about cancelled flights or delays too much. I check our flight status weekly up until the day we depart. I make sure I bring all necessary docs with me, and my hubby has a copy too. Go with what you are comfortable with.

My reason for using a TA is simple-service. About 4-5 years ago, we were scheduled to go to Riviera Maya. Hurricane Wilma hit and desimated the hotel and the entire area. So, we had to switch to Jamaica (or another island, but we chose Jamaica). US Air wanted to charge us $150 each to change our flight!! We use Liberty Travel, and our TA got the flights changed for no extra charge. Would I have had the same results on my own, fighting the airline on my own? I doubt it. I will always use a TA, and have always used Liberty Travel as a result of that circumstance.

Anbass, I've done it both ways. I have a travel agent I prefer and the rates are always the lowest. Drop me a line and I can share with you. kkramer@thekramergroup.com

I use a travel agent as he gets me killer deals that I can't find myself no matter how hard I look. If you want more info contact me at juli Colorado at yahoo dot com.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come