Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sand Fleas??

Default Sand Fleas??

Maybe some of you repeaters can answer this for me. I've been hearing a lot of people talking about coming back from Jamaica all bitten by sand fleas and that this really made for a horrible experience. I have also heard that you can take vitamin B1 to prevent this from happening. Have any of you ever had this problem? Does the vitamin B1 really work?

We just got back tuesday night. My wife got really eaten up by a combination of sand fleas and mosquitos. We used 40% deet bug spray and it didnt really seem to matter. Having said that I didn't get touched and she was one of the only ones we saw on the resort that had tons of bug bites....

We have been to Couples in Jamaica 5 times for a total of about 8 weeks and neither of us have ever been bitten by any insect. We have never used any kind of repellant or special vitamin either.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

I can't give you any incite on the B1 working. What I can tell you about sand fleas is they have not bothered me, but I am not on the beach when they normally do bother you, early morning and around dusk. Also, I use skin so soft which seems to keep bugs off me. I am allergic to most biting insects and can say I have not had any problems in Jamaica and I do not believe the problem is any worse there then any other beach destination in the Caribbean. My wife had no issues with sand fleas either but she also uses skin so soft after her shower. Probably no help, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by futuremrsbarnes View Post
    Maybe some of you repeaters can answer this for me. I've been hearing a lot of people talking about coming back from Jamaica all bitten by sand fleas and that this really made for a horrible experience. I have also heard that you can take vitamin B1 to prevent this from happening. Have any of you ever had this problem? Does the vitamin B1 really work?
    We've noticed the sand fleas come out at dark. So if you are going to be walking across the beach in the evening, or if you are at the beach party at night, you might want to put some repellent on. Any towelette's that you would use for mosquitoes will work.

Stayed at CTI 2 years ago didnt have an issue with sand fleas. Cant speak for the other resorts or the B1...

We've done the B vitamins both times we've been there. First time we didn' t have any bites. But we both had lots of bites last Dec. I'd be sure to bring (and use) some bug repellent.

There have been years when we have been bitten by sand fleas and years when we haven't. This past summer we had no issues with sand fleas, but with mossies.

The li'l critters are for real, and my wife usually comes home with the welts to prove it... best way for ME to avoid them is to stand as close to her as possible.

Don't know about the Vitamin B thing. I've read about it, but haven't seen anything but anecdotal discussion about it. Best is to use a repellent of some sort, and to stay off the sand at sunset for a while as well as after a rainfall.

For something that you can't see, these things can pack a wallop and for some, the bites can be serious if you're prone.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Been to CSS twice and was never bitten by an insects...ever.

I have never had san flea issues in Jamaica in 5 trips.

We have been the last two years and we have never got bitten. Yes we have taken B1 before we went. Start taking them about 30 days before you go , so they will be in your system. I think the only time they bite is at night on the beach. Don't worry to much about it, go and enjoy yourself.

Yes, there are sand fleas in Jamaica. They're not a problem during the day but can be at night when they come out to feed. We've tried the B1 and it seemed to help. We also apply bug spray around our ankles w/40% DEET. Between the two we typically don't get bit.

If you are on the beach during dusk, into evening, that is when the sand fleas are just plain relentless... so to avoid the most likely chance of getting bit, just stay off of the beach during that time. It is true some people will get bit no matter what or where, but for the most part, that is the time when most are vulnerable to get bit.

In two trips to CN and three to CTI neither of us has ever been bitten. I hear they're worse after it rains. If that's true, that could explain our good fortune, as we've had virtually no rain on any of our trips.

Bruce and Kelli
    Fort Worth, TX
    CN 2006, 2008
    CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CSA 2014!

Good luck for me there is nothing that works 100% My hubby never gets touched by them. I have found over the years this is what works best for me. The vitamen B did not work. I start taking zertec or clariton a few days before the trip. It helps with the itching. I also use a dot of tea tree oil on my feet in the evening. I also use deet. I think one of the biggies is I take some bug AND sun for during the day. I think I was getting bit up in the afternoons after a light shower. The Avon Bug AND sun helps with that as the sand fleas come out at night AND after a shower in the afternoon. I also have my family Doc give me a perscription cream to take along for the bites. I saw an allergist this past year and she reccomended I wash off my legs before I go to bed in the PM. Not sure why but she said that would help too. I still got some bites last year but not as bad.
    Mary & Mitch

Honestly, I am a bug magnet and I don't think I've been bitten once while in Jamaica. The sand fleas are only out at dusk and dawn I believe and maybe after it rains (maybe someone can clarify). You are not going to get bitten during the day while enjoying the beach but if you take a walk along the beach after the sun sets you will be well advised to spray your legs and feet with bug spray.

Sand fleas, or noseeums as some call them, are definitely present, regardless of what some may say. It's just that some people are less apt to get the bites then others. I use a high DEET Off or similar product (only at night) and it usually works pretty good. My wife gets them much worse than I do, when we don't wear a repellant. Obviously, the main areas of concern are the beach and the decks that have sand underneath, but only from dusk through the night. During the day, they are pretty subdued. And, this is not just a Couples or Jamaica thing. Sand fleas thrive is warm, moist environments, so I've seen them bad in Florida, Mexico, and pretty much everywhere in the Caribbean. They are not a problem, they are just part of the environment. Nothing to worry about, just bring some spray to wear at night, if you plan to be down on the beach.

I am one of those unfortunate ones that get bit up every year, even though I'm not on the beach at or after dusk. I'm just sensitive. Last December, I also found out I am highly allergic. I somehow got into a nest of them, and ended up with over a hundred bites over my calves and thighs. After a night of crying in the room (Benadryl or hydrocortisone cream didn't touch the burning), I went to the nurse, who said "we got ta call da docta". He came onsite very promptly and gave me two shots in the bum - one an antihistimine, and one cortisone. I got a round of Prednisone for 7 days, and some strong cream to put on at night before bed. 12 hours and $315 later, the bites were much better, and I could enjoy the rest of my vacation.

So, IF you DO get bit up badly, don't hesitate to use the nurses station for relief. They were very professional and compassionate (and they take Mastercard!).

Beergirl

Beergirl
    Beergirl

www.kenandbrenda.shutterfly.com for my Couples videos

I hate those sand fleas.....25% DEET did nothing to repel them during our last trip to CSA in November. They don't bother my DH, but they sure come after me. I plan to stay off the beach from 4:00 PM unti 9:00 AM from now on...
    Jan and Mark
    CN 2009
    CSA 2011
    CSA 2013
    CSS 2014

I got the heavy duty stuff...I think its like 98% DEET. I didn't use it the first day b/c I didn't notice any bugs but the next day I got attacked w/o even knowing it....from then on I doused myself in it every night before dinner...helped a lot

Quote Originally Posted by futuremrsbarnes View Post
    I get bit, but my husband doesn't. I just spray my feet and ankles with "cutters" by OFF. It works fine. Mostly notice bites the worst after rain and at night. Hope this helps.
    And don't scratch. That just inflames the bites.

Back in day, before the resorts went "Green" they would spray the entire resort every morning, and there was not a single bug to be seen. I'm all about being green, but I sure do miss the comforting sound of the a.m. bug sprayers, and the lack of bug bites.
    They bring some of our own, bug spray, but they sell a bug spray in the gift shops that we love, so buy some of it as well.
    Don't prepare to close the beach bar down at sunset, unless you are armed!

I honestly have never had a problem ANYWHERE until we went to Roatan Honduras last April. OMG! I looked like I had the measles or chicken pox after 15 nights there. Those sand fleas bit us 24/7! The only one who was not bothered to much was my hubby. He had maybe 10 bites compared to our 300 EACH!

What worked when we did use it was www.buggspray.com The problems was it was so painful to put it on since it burned the "open" bites. Sometimes I felt it was a catch 22 situation. If you do find yourself in a situation not bad enough for the Doc we found that Calamine Lotion worked the BEST for aftercare. It comes is a clear formula now so you do not have to walk around with pink dots all over you. We tried the Benadryl tablets and cremes, Hydrocortosone 1% creme, after itch stick, vinegar, over proof rum and every combination! Calamine worked the best ;-)

They only time I have used repellant while in Jamaica is when we go to the beach parties. Never have had a single bite!

anyone vacation at CSA in the last few weeks have any bug bite issues?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast