Thread: Drink Advice

Default Drink Advice

Inspired by a recent thread asking for peoples favorite drinks, I am hoping for answers to the following drink questions before we head out in only 25 days for our fourth trip home to CN! I am always so bad at trying something new or different when we are there, and I am vowing to stray a bit from my "usuals" this time around!!!

1. I LOVE the rum punch they serve on the Cat Cruise, and in that recent drink thread I mentioned above, someone said you can also get rum punch at the resort bars as well .... is this true? I've just never seen anyone drinking them or asking for them at the bars, so I was curious.

2. also LOVE the dirty bananas and hummingbirds, and again heard something about asking for them "filthy" which will result in extra dark rum being poured on top ... is this a pretty common practice with all the bars/bartenders? Or do I just ask them for an extra splash of dark rum when I order?

3. despite how much I love the dirty bananas and hummingbirds, I try to stick with only one or two of them in the AMs as they get a bit heavy and switch over to my standard vodka slushes for the remainder of the day interspersed with some Red Stripes. I am intrigued with the mention of a vodka and ting or absolut citron and ting in the drink string I read and may have to add these to the rotation. Question: could I ask that absolut citron be used in my vodka slushes as well? And/or have them add a splash of ting to them? Anyone have any other drinks similar to the vodka slush they would recommend I try? I just love them cause they aren't too sweet and are super refreshing!!

4. what are some good martinis to try at the piano bar in the evenings?

5. we will be doing the trading places to CSA one day, are there any drinks that are "exclusive" to CSA/CSA's bartenders that we should try? what about food for lunch?

thanks everyone!! Looking forward to trying some new stuff this time, so I hope I get lots of feedback!!

1. Rum Punch is a standard Caribbean drink on any island, and they absolutely serve them at CN and anywhere else in Jamaica. Try a No Problems off the drink menu at CN. It's a version of rum punch that is quite tasty.

2. I always ask for a "dark rum floater". Sometimes they have Meyers, but they always have Coruba.

3. They will pretty much do whatever you want, and a Citron/Ting slushie sounds freakin amazing!

4. Lychee martinis rock at CN, but not sure if they are available in the Piano Bar

5. In 3 trips to CN, haven't used the Trading Places yet, so no input there.
    Last edited by dank120; March 21st, 2012 at 12:50 AM.

Question for you: What is a vodka slushie??

Filthy Bannana

I, along with my wife, am proud to have been the creative team to develop the Filthy Banana. Yes, it took many trips to Couples Negril with hours of product testing to perfect it. But we feel it was worth the effort.

Our original recipe is the standard Dirty Banana with an OVERPROOF rum floater on top (warning: it often sinks right to the bottom giving you a blast of rum at some point - delicious though!).

The Filthy Banana is really our private little joke. We just order a Dirty Banana with an overproof rum floater. I don't think it has become part of the Couples vernacular...yet.
    Last edited by Bert; March 26th, 2012 at 07:02 PM.

Iriedreaming -
    Based upon your report of 25 ays until CN, Linda and I will be at CN for our 4th trip to CN at the same time as you (we will be there April 12-20). We would love to hook up for a Filthy Banana! We usually have our first at around 10:30 at the pool bar. We are thinking of having one as preparation for aquacize

Here's a little different strategy. If the bar is not busy, I will ask the bartender to make me his/her favorite drink to make. I've never been disappoited!

Quote Originally Posted by oxbgirl View Post
    Here's a little different strategy. If the bar is not busy, I will ask the bartender to make me his/her favorite drink to make. I've never been disappoited!
    Gotta be careful with that one! One time I ended up with a flipper of Remy (4 shots) and a cranberry juice chaser! Went down too easy, as did my inhibitions!

Quote Originally Posted by oxbgirl View Post
    Very dangerous, lol

Nice job Bert with the filthy banana. I'll be looking for one of those drinks when I give you your hat. :-)

John

my drink of choice is absolute and ting topped off with a little cranberry. so yummy...8 more days

I had a great rum punch type drink at CN. I think it was called a Big Bamboo. It was on the drink menu at the swim up bar.
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

You got it John! Looking forward to the first filthy banana of our trip. We will track down Iriedreaming for one as well.

bball2011 - a vodka slush is ice, vodka, club soda and lime. It is super refreshing and not super sweet, which is why it has been my drink of choice during most of our trips. highly recommend!!

Bert - we will be there April 14 to 21. looking forward to joining you at the swim-up bar in just a couple weeks!!

IrieDreaming (aka KC)

IrieDreaming/KC: my wife is the organized one. I will have her add "drink at swim-up bar with Irie/KC" to the list. Looking forward!

Iriedreaming - this is me and Linda. If I am not mistaken, we may be drinking filthy bananas. You'll find us at the pool bar. I know I am setting ourselves up to be freaked out when some strangers come up and say "Linda Bert!"

Name:  Bert and Linda hats.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  51.0 KB