Default What are your favorite off site excursions in Negril?

Hello again,
    Officially 32 days out and stalking these boards again. Like a good traveler would. Going to CSA in November, first time to Jamaica for our honeymoon and wondering what off site excursions you'd recommend, or if you've done them and didn't think they were all that. Clearly, every second in paradise is precious and I just want to plan accordingly. Thanks for all the help very appreciated!!

We did the Appleton Rum trip and we enjoyed it. Mary also rode the horses in the water and that wasn't the best. Enjoy! Just started the double digit dance, 99 days and counting.
    Duane & Mary

Any that have hiking? or local, non-touristy type places? We've done a ton of rum factories over the years and don't really need to ride a horse just to ride but would love to see some of the mountain scenery or local towns.

Thoughts?
    AJ

Mayfield Falls....wonderful...!!!

Last year we did YS Falls, Appleton Rum factory and the Pelican bar. We had the resort book us a private driver for the day - lots of fun and no real crowds. At both YS Falls and Appleton we we considered to be a private group which was really nice.

One Love Bus Tour!

Last time I booked a "south coast" tour based on excellent Trip Advisor reviews. Enjoyed YS falls, touring about, Appleton tour is really very good. Skipped Pelican Bar as the only shuttle boat wanted over 60 USD and for us it was not worth it. Good experience though, and guide was very personable.

Quote Originally Posted by a63vetteowner View Post
    We did the Appleton Rum trip and we enjoyed it. Mary also rode the horses in the water and that wasn't the best. Enjoy! Just started the double digit dance, 99 days and counting.
    Duane & Mary
    Thanks for the suggestion,
    if you don't mind me asking how long did it take to get there from the resort? And did you set it up online or when you got there?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimnmariann View Post
    One Love Bus Tour!
    YES! We want to do this also!! Did you book this once you got there or did you set it up ahead of time???

Mayfield falls and the One Love Bus Tour. Mayfield is just beautiful--you do need to be moderately fit and comfortable with getting wet though. It's a half-day trip. The one love bus tour leaves at 2 and you get back around 7. This is a pub crawl which takes you to about seven bars. You get to meet locals and support mom+pop operations in the local community. Since it's your honeymoon--I would say Mayfield is more romantic. If you only do one, maybe save the pub crawl for your anniversary trip.

thanks for so much so far ( and thanks for GawdyGypsy for letting me jump in on your post).

Between YS and Mayfield, can anyone speak to the pros and cons of each? closeness? just another falls? number of people?

What were the price ranges for these?

May be interested in sharing a driver if we do that.

-AJ
    20 days and 17 hours. But who's counting :-)

GawdyGypsy, it took about an hour and a half, and we set it up when we got there. All off site excursions must be paid in cash. Appleton has a nice gift shop, small food stand, and a nice tour. The best is at the very end. You have to go and find out.
    Duane & Mary

Quote Originally Posted by a63vetteowner View Post
    GawdyGypsy, it took about an hour and a half, and we set it up when we got there. All off site excursions must be paid in cash. Appleton has a nice gift shop, small food stand, and a nice tour. The best is at the very end. You have to go and find out.
    Duane & Mary
    That is great direction! Thank you very much! Do you happen to remember about how much it was? I love the surprise ending!!! HAHA!

ajg, Mayfeild is more natural and less crowded and involves more hiking and swimming. Y.S. is more developed and more crowded (there is even a Disneyesque tram to take to from the parking lot to the beginning of the falls). But Y.S. has zip-lining, if you are interested in that. I like both but prefer Mayfield, but that is a personal preference. Others may prefer Y.S.

You can book this online before you go or decide on a time when you get to Jamaica. They are very flexible.

Gawdy, when we went, it cost $90 per person for the ride and another $25 per person for the tour. We weren't told about the extra $25. But it was worth it. I think the more people who go, the cheaper the ride may be. When we went, it was just the 2 of us. I know there are packages with Appleton and 2 other places. We just wanted the Appleton.

thanks. I think we might check out Mayfield. Sounds like our speed

-AJ