Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Couples Support Group

Figured I would start a support group for us "junkies".

Hi, my name is Lloyd and my wife is Gillian and we are Couples Junkies. ( you say `hi Lloyd and Gillian`). We have been sober now for 5 and a half months. Yes thank you for applauding. It all started last year when we were planning our honeymoon and decided CSS was the place to go. We heard lots of great things about Couples and thought what harm could come from such a beautiful place. We were wrong. it started innocently when we arrived and got a big "welcome home" and as each day passed with all the splendor of CSS, we quickly became addicted. Sandy beaches, great food, being spoiled, great people, and so much more. It was a sad day when we had to leave. Since then it has been a nightmare. Everyday is spent thinking of Jamaica and Couples. The craving of being there has consumed us and we feel lost. Our kids think we need help. Our friends think we are nuts but we just can't shake the need to be there. The cravings get worse and worse each day. I am sad to say that we broke down a month ago and booked our return for October 2012, hoping that it may settle our desires, but it only made things worse. I now am counting down the long long days before we get there. Every time we hear reggae music or see a sandy beach, even on TV, we melt inside, our hearts race out of control, we get all dizzy, and we get an overwhelming desire to strip down to our birthday suits and lay on a lounge chair. Addiction is an evil monster that is very hard to handle. Maybe after our next trip, we may be able to get back to normal, and the cravings will be gone. Hopefully....
    I invite all the `junkies`to stand up and post so that we have the knowledge that we are not alone in our battle with Couples addiction.
    Thank you for listening.

Hi Lloyd, my name is Richie. My wife Sylvia and I have been Couplesholics since 1995. We couldn't be happier about it. I know. Usually when people struggle with addictions, it takes a lot of work, counseling, time and money to break the horrible cycle that holds them in the grip of devastating pain and suffering. My heart goes out to them.
    However, we wouldn't change a thing. Except perhaps finding ways to get back to CTI, our resort of choice. We started out with a seven day trip so many years ago. It seemed innocent enough. There was no indication that things would go from such a happy high to delusions of ecstasy. We had already gone to another resort twice before landing at CTI. Sure, we loved the country. The people were wonderful, the deep lush foliage, blue green water, endless sun were super. We had no idea that we had already been bitten by beauty and the feast.
    By the time we found Couples, unbeknownst to us, the feelings of euphoria had begun to creep into our lives. It was to late to turn back. There was nothing we could do except book the next trip as soon as we could. The year long wait was excruciating.
    And the thing that made it even worse for us, was that Syl was teaching tennis at the resort, in exchange for room and board. All we had to pay for was the flight. Incredible.

Well she taught there five more times and each time the joy became that much more imbedded in our system. Then she said to me, "I don't want to work there any more. It's not really a vacation for me, having to teach twice a day". My face went white. My heart was pounding. My hands were clammy and I struggled to respond. "What are we going to do Syl? We can't just stop going. How are we going to pay for a whole week there"?
    The days that followed brought only sadness and desperation. How were we going to cope? What would become of us? Then I had an idea. I spoke with my parents and explained the situation. Dad could see that I was shaking and sweating and very nervous. He told me to go back home, take some cold showers and try and find some reggae music to listen to. He thought that would help. But he was wrong. It only added to our discomfort.

A few days later, the phone rang. It was dad. He said he knew how much Jamaica had gotten under our skin and he could see l that we were stressed out. He offered to pay for another trip. We were flabbergasted. And we excepted his gracious offer in a heartbeat.

Dad continued to pay for our annual pilgrimage to play land and things seemed to be going well for both of us. That's when I told Syl that we need to increase the amount of time we spent in the land of silk and sunny. She agreed immediately, without a moments hesitation. The next few trips went from 7 days to 10. We thought that we had found the answers we needed in order to continue living. We were wrong. Soon, it became apparent to both of us that even with the increase in the number of days, we were suffering terribly after each extended stay. That's when I quietly suggested we do two trips a year rather than one. It was a drastic move, but one that I thought would help us a great deal in the long run.

By that time, our financial situation had changed and I told dad that we would be able to pay for our two trips to treatment land. After that, we just settled in to what had become our routine of salvation. This April will mark our 33 visit to the sunny sanatorium where we load up on all that they offer in the way of treatments for loneliness and depression. It hasn't been an easy road, but we bravely face each empty day here at home, counting the minutes and hours and days until our next medical mission to help stabilize our lives.

So, that's our story. I know it's very much like so many others that look for ways to handle this insane unrelenting need to deal with all the fun and happiness we find each time we return. I admit, it's not perfect but we work very hard at making it possible to find the financing and time needed to fulfill our needs. It's a struggle that we both look forward to dealing with every time we pack our bags. We try to make the best of it in between each long painful wait from one trip to the next. And all the friends that we have made over the years, lend their support and comfort here on the message board. That's where we look each day for all that we can consume from all the others that make the journey and relate their experiences for the rest of us to help calm our frazzled nerves. It's not easy, but we know we can make it.

Good luck to everyone else as we all must deal with this relentless desire and overwhelming need for all things Couples. It's a cruel taskmaster, but I would recommend it to anyone that is suffering.

We hear you Brother! Peace, love and SSB!

Hilarious! We have our 4th trip coming up in 4 days!!!! I'll tell your loungechair at SSB hello! I thought perhaps the excitement would dwindle a bit but I am MORE EXCITED for this trip than any of the previous! It's because without question we already know how great it will be!!! I am so addicted to this MB! My Husband said I need to go to Couples Rehab, I told him if they find a nice property on the Southern coast I will gladly be the first to check myself in!!!

For all you Newbies, It truly is THAT awesome! No worries!!

Did I mention 4 days to CSS???!!!!! We started our countdown at 217...

Hi Lloyd and Gillian, Richie and Sylvia.....we are Johnny Mac and Nancy, and we, too, are Couples Addicts! All it took was one trip to CSS last year, just one! We were blindsided by the feeling. Our kids also think we need help, but I realized the only help I needed was to satisfy the craving and book the next trip....CSS here we come September 2012. Getting ready to book for 2013, and dare I say, we may try CSA. I am so afraid that 2013 at CSA will turn us into a twice a year couple, and all the anxiety that goes with counting down the days twice lol! It is nice to know that my daily meandering through the message board is one of the more common treatments for the symptoms I experience on a daily basis!! We are at 178 days until CSS, how I wish it was less!
    Nancy

When I tell people about Jamaica, and specifically Couples,I know they don't get it. They just walk away shaking their heads. I suppose if someone were to tell me about Jamaica and was jumping up and down as I have been known to do, with the look of sheer hysteria in their eyes, I'm not sure I would buy it either. That's okay. I don't mind what they think. It's all about, what we all feel. They are the ones missing out. Yah. So there.

Even after almost 16 years and all the trips, it always comes down to those last few weeks, then days, then just a wake up, if we were any more excited about going, I'd have to wear "Atlas Pads" so I don't wet my pants.

Crabracer - please ask your dad if he will adopt me! I'm going through withdrawals. I've been back one month and I can't get any work done. I eat, sleep, and think about CSA every day! If only my daughter would hurry up and get out of college so I can afford another trip "home!" I waiting until I can book another trip is unbearable!

Midnight Cocktails!
    If you find the STRENGTH, PLEASE send us some live posts from CSS when you are there so I can get my fix!!!!! Hopefully it will hold me until July!!!!!

One Love, from one addict to another!!!!:-)
    suzyQ

I too am an addict. We are going to our third couples trip in August, and have booked our fourth for next August taking 3 couples with us for our vow renewal. Jamaica is always in our mind, and the subject of conversation daily. It has affected everything we do. Even shopping has new meaning, as there is not a sundress or sandal I pass that I don't think "wow that would be great in Jamaica". If asked what I want for a gift (like birthday or mothers day) the answer is always something for the trip. (This year I get a flight from Tim Air.) And it does become more miserable once the trip is booked, because then the countdown starts. And that countdown makes time stand still. IF ONLY WE COULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE OUR TIME IN JAMAICA GO THIS SLOW. All my friends think I am crazy till they try it. I have converted so many to the Jamaican lifestyle that I should be on payroll. My husband and I are both in graduate school, and his graduation date will be May of 2013, at which time it will become 2 times a year. Or maybe more......
    Dreaming of the time there just makes this time here bearable and nothing more....
    Another addicted couple, Camille and Robert.

My husband and I almost missed out. We married June 2010 and went to the airport to go to couples and hubbie renewed and got a passport card instead of.a book. We couldn't.board and were devastated. My travel agent spoke to couples and they allowed us to come the next month for no additonal fee. I haven't been the same since. We are going back again this July and its all I can think about. My friends think we are crazy for going back to the same place but they have no idea my love affair with csa. See you July 21..

Hi Suzy Q!!
    I have yet to step foot in one of the internet cafe's(my office doesn't know they have one) We go to escape the digital world...except for our ipod & kindles of course but I will see what I can do. I will definitely give a full report when we get back!! I literally just got the chills...we are going to be there is less than 3 days!!!

We have also decided not to worry about which block we end up in either & let fate take its course!!

Thanks again for all your helpful tips!!

Hi Suzy Q!!
    I have yet to step foot in one of the internet cafe's(my office doesn't know they have one) We go to escape the digital world...except for our ipod & kindles of course but I will see what I can do. I will definitely give a full report when we get back!! I literally just got the chills...we are going to be there is less than 3 days!!!

We have also decided not to worry about which block we end up in either & let fate take its course!!

Thanks again for all your helpful tips!!

Its so nice to hear that others have the same addiction! Despite reading the MB and knowing it, to actually come clean and say it out loud is such a relief! People look at me with alarm in their eyes when I start to gush over just how wonderful Couples resorts are. They tend to take a step backwards but that might be because my arms start flailing as I regale them with tales of the lush landscapes, white beaches, incredible food and the best employees ever. My husband and I look into each other's eyes and say on a daily basis....only __ more sleeps till we return! As of today its only 25 till we go home to CSS!!! We're even going to book next year's trip before we leave so we can take advantage of the discounts. It's always nice to know your next fix is at least on the calendar.

Yes please do say hello to my lounge chair and be sure to have a great time there (as if there was any doubt) Wish we were going sooner....

Hi! We are Duane and Mary from Central PA. We were in Jamaica 10 yers ago at a different resort. We spoke to our TA, who suggested Couples. We are now planning our 4th trip back next January. We like January to escape cold, snow, and relax after the holidays. We've been to alot of different places but none compares when considering food, drink, friendships made, atmosphere, ocean, beaches, amenities, etc. This will be an every year trek. I guess we are now considered Jamericans.

Duane

You guys are totally scaring me! We do not make much money and I feel like it will be years and years before we can afford it again. We don't even go until Sept. but its already all I can think about. I google blogs and pics and anything else I can find from CSS. So excited but hoping it doesnt turn into the full blown addiction!

Don't worry CorinaNPete when the addiction takes hold, (and I am sorry to say it is going to) maybe you could pick up some side money for vacation. I.E. selling blood, picking up cans along the side of the road, delivering pizzas at night, or panhandeling for vacation money.
    Unfortunatly once the addiction has started it is almost impossible to ease without intense therapy..........you know drinking a cup of Blue Mountain Coffee on Sunday morning and trying to imagine you are on your balcony overlooking the ocean, or on a Friday afternoon haveing a glass of rum punch remembering the excitement you had when you get off the bus at the resort, or before bed having a night cap of rum cream excited for a new day of beach fun to start.
    Yep I just proved once the addiction starts its to late..............you will need a second job to pay for your vacations.

Quote Originally Posted by CorinaNPete View Post
    So excited but hoping it doesnt turn into the full blown addiction!
    It will! :-)

Corina, it's too late. It already has!!!!!!!!

Hi, we are Dan and Karin and we are Couple addicts. Actually I think that I am more afflicted then Dan. We made are first trip to Couples Negril with all the hopes and dreams of the uninformed traveler. We thought we would just go, enjoy and leave, never to partake again. We are now counting the days for until our 9th trip to CN.

I am so glad to have found this group, so I can proudly proclaim our addictions.

Another sundress, more sandals, husband cutting of credit cards....... help, please.......

Hi, my name is Brian and my wife is Mendy. We have a problem with Couples addiction. I drive a 1998 Mazda pickup with 240,000 miles on it. It is rusted out on both sides, it is missing its grill and one fender is dented in (I hit a deer a year ago), but yet I drive it the 30 miles to work and back again every day. I can't afford a new ride because I have four trips to Couples booked in the next two years, amounting to being on the hook for about 16,000 dollars. As hard as we tried, we just couldn't make it an entire year before arriving at our beloved Couples again, so we had to go to twice per year now. I'll keep on driving my old Mazda into the dirt, if it means I can squeeze another trip or two to Jamaica out of her before she dies :-) Please help us!

Oh I know how you guys feel! Our first trip was in October 2011 for our wedding. We had hoped to go back again this year for our anniversary. Unfortunately so much has happened since then. My hubby has had to change jobs twice already and lo and behold I'm pregnant and expecting in end of Sept! So even if we do come up with some cash to go...won't be able to in October (well worth it having a child I know...but OH I want to go back)! My parents went with us for the wedding and my mom did an oil painting of the island on CTI. It looks just like the view we had from our window. I put it up at the end of our bed and every morning I wake up and see it...I miss it so much! We're already hoping to go back maybe in Feb instead of October...fingers crossed!

Hi,
    My name is Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello. My husband and I are certainly Couples-aholics. It started for our wedding at CSA in Jan. 2008 and it took hold of us, as well as many of our guests. We have not yet returned to CSA, but have been to CTI and CSS and love them too. We are hooked. Nothing can compare. We would go always, every year, many times... if we could. However... we are going to buy a place and will become "house poor" (here in the most expensive city in North America) . I fear this means no travel to our beloved Couples for awhile ...how will I survive? :'(

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast