Default Authenic Jerk Chicken

Hello all,

I have been reading the message board quite often lately, my husband and I have 216 days to go, anyway, I asked about the trading places program because I was interesting not only in seeing a different resort but trying some of the authentic jerk chicken. All you wonderful people on the message board recommended I try the Jerk chicken while at CSA.

CN has outside vendors come in and sell shirts, bags,jewelry etc... My question is why not bring in an authentic jerk chicken shack for a day?!! That would be great.

Just a thought,
    One Love,
    Mya

They have authentic jerk chicken at CN too. Although by "authentic" all of the jerk recipes at the resorts have been toned down in spiciness from what you'll find the locals making. But still good!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Jerk chicken is available at the Beach Grill at CN, and there's a big difference between allowing vendors onto resort property to sell wood carvings and t-shirts and allowing them to sell food. If the food products were not kept at the proper temperature and a guest contracted a food-borne illness, Couples could be held liable. I certainly would not want to be liable for the acts of third parties over which I had little control. Couples can maintain quality control and ensure that guests are served food that is safe to eat by preparing it in their own sanitary kitchens. It's a good thing.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

We thought CN's jerk was just a tad spicier than CSA's.

Both were great, but don't let that stop you from going off the resort to try some others. There's some great jerk places in Negril.
    nobody's favorite poster

What about at CTI ? My hubby is really interested in trying the hottest of the hot jerk, while I might be happier with the milder version if the resort has it ?

The resort Jerk is very mellow, but Scotchies is not a long cab ride.

Authentic Jerk marinade:
    Dark rum, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, garlic, onion
    And the most important ingredient: Scotch Bonnet peppers!

Traditional jerk is not a marinade, it's a dry rub. This is the recipe we wrangled out of a cook at a jerk shack 28 years ago. It's won us 3rd place in the annual Jamaican Jerk Competition in Ft. Lauderdale:

Boca Boys Jerk Rub Recipe - use this on anything you want to jerk, even fish!
    ======
    4 tablespoons Ground allspice
    4 tablespoons Dried thyme
    2 tablespoons Ground Habanero Pepper
    2 tablespoons Freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons Ground sage
    1 tablespoon Ground nutmeg
    1 tablespoon Ground cinnamon
    6 tablespoons Garlic powder
    4 tablespoons Brown Sugar
    1 cup dried Chives
    1 cup dried Onion
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Kris and Jamie,

I was thinking about trying Scotchies. What did you think?

Thanks,

Jeff

I'd try it, spiff.

Ricky and Karen, I'm gonna give your jerk recipe a shot next weekend....it's the big Iowa vs. Iowa State game and I am smoking some brisket. We're doing 3 briskets and we needed a spicy recipe for one of them...what better than a "jerk" recipe to get me ready for our trip in October! Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes!
    Adam & Abby
    CSA October 23rd, 2009

Attached is a recipe that I came up with using the Best in The Wests' jerk sauce as my guide. It took about 2 weeks and many Red Stripes but...I just made 8 lbs. of jerk chicken on the smoker last weekend. This weekend Sugar Cured Salmon, I'm a pulled pork guy and have yet to make brisket, let me know which ever recipe you use how it turns out. It is intended for chicken but...93 days 'til Rum Cream All I Want
    Attached Files Attached Files

I love the jerk at the resorts, I have it every single day for lunch with jerk fries.

We travelled all the way to Boston Bay for the official original jerk, it was fantastic indeed, and HOT HOT HOT, but I still love the jerk at the resorts.
    I really have yet to find a jerk I did not like........lol

There are as many jerk recipes as there are rum drinks in JA, lol.
    It is a matter of choice, just like the drinks (I like Appleton VX w/pineapple or on the rocks, but especially as part of a jerk recipe).

Ricky and Karen,

I tried your recipe and all I can say is WOW! 18 pounds of brisket and not one bit left! The Jerk recipe was by far the crowd favorite! Thank you very much!
    Adam & Abby
    CSA October 23rd, 2009

I think I tried the jerk chiken at CN almost everyday.

Adam - Are you coming to CSA on 10/21? We're arriving two days later; come and take the jerk tour with us!
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Fawnridge - Do you have the list of Jerk restaurants in Negril? We will be there in November and would love to try the jerk tour