Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ride to resort??

Is the ride to Couples Negril really that bad? I have read some that says it is a horrible ride and some say it wasnt bad at all. For those that have done it what is the truth?

bosox13 the ride is a blast !!
    1) when you get on the bus sit on the drivers side - this will put you on the ocean side for the ride
    2) open bottle of red stripe - sip
    3) relax watch the scenery unfold and enjoy it consider it a preamble sight seeing trip- back before the road was completed the ride was a lot rougher
    4) If you get a animated driver who tells you some history even better

chances are you will be on the shuttle with some negril "vets" who will make the ride go bye in a heart beat -enjoy and see you the following day

We have done the ride to Negril twice and will be doing it again in November. My wife and I find the ride very enjoyable. It allows you to see the real country and see how the people live. In both cases we have stopped half way and enjoyed a Red Stripe.
    Some of the drivers give a lot of information about the countryside while others stay quiet. We think it is a great way to start the vacation.

It's bark is worse than it's bite. The ride from MoBay to Negril still has the reputation that it earned before the road was redone a few years back. It used to be more interesting from an "adventure" point of view. It used to be more narrow and more curvy than it is today.

In my opinion, and this is a huge generalization, Jamaicans drive more aggressively than I am used to. However, I have never felt that the drivers were out of control or not safe. It's just different than what I have experienced in the US. Part of it is the driving on the wrong, I mean left, side of the road. That alone takes a little getting used to. The drivers tend to honk horns a lot. That is simply how they announce their approach to other vehicles and pedestrians. It does keep things safer, in my opinion. It's what the Jamacan drivers are used to, so it does not distract them.

The ride is fine. It's your first taste of the Jamaican culture by means of the sites, sounds and attitude of a beautiful country. Enjoy it.

On a lighter note, hopefully this link will make you laugh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoW7JCvcmJU
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

not bad at all,and it's a great way to meet people who are going to be at the same resort as you are.We have done the bus ride 11 times out of the 12 visits to csa but now we prefer to fly tim air.12 min to negril,26 more days until we return home.
    R.

While sitting for another 1.5 hours after being on a plane and in an airport for 6-7 hours can be a pain (you know where), we find the ride to Negril enjoyable. We love seeing the sights and driving through the little towns on the way. It's a great way to get some insight into how Jamaicans spend their days. I've heard that the flight over is also enjoyable for the view you get from the air, but to us, it's not worth the cost or the loss of driving through the Jamaican countryside.

Tammy

The ride to the resort is a blast. We've had several parties on the bus. As you head out of the airport have your driver stop for beer. On our last trip we had 24 Heinekens for the ride between 5 couples. Other times we've stopped half way for more beer.

Sit back, drink up and enjoy. You are on VACATION!!!

It's fine. The only weird thing, as an American, was how they drive on the left side of the road. It took a little while getting used to, especially if you tend to be a backseat driver. Have a Red Stripe or two in the lounge before getting on the bus, and you'll be fine.

It really isnt' bad. The thing to remember is that the people driving the shuttle, drive on those roads all the time, it is not unusual for them. The roads are narrow compared to American interstates, but not as narrow as many of the country lanes in England. Sit back and relax, the drivers know exactly what they are doing.

I really think if you think that ride is very bad you just might be a bit wimpy. Try the driving in the Bahamas makes Jamaica look calm. The ride is a breeze with beautiful views no problem.
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

Not bad at all. We did get stuck in some Montego Bay traffic, but after that, it was smooth sailing.

Ive never heard anyone say that it is bad. It is about 1:30 to 2 hours depending but its an experience. You have fun with those on the bus with you while you drink redstripe and enjoy the sites along the way. It is a good time and you will be at your resort before you know it.
    Shane and Cathy

No, it is not a bad ride. We actually think it is fun seeing all the locals and we look forward to it each trip.

It's not a bad ride, let's see, they grab your bags, you can stop at the hospitality room at the airport, have a quick one, Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light only, no mixed drinks. I think they also have water and soda. You then follow your luggage to the staging area where there are vans waiting to be loaded. You drive through Mo Bay and then out to the country side. Is the road narrow, yes, does it seem odd that the driver is on the "wrong side" of the van, yes. I hope you like Reggae because that is what you may be listening to on the ride. You will stop along the way at a little place to use the facilities and grab a beer or two for the rest of the way. Couples Negril is the first stop then Couples Swept Away. Sit back enjoy the ride have a brew (I highly recommend Dragon Stout) take in the culture, as you are very close to Rum Cream...With food and travel you can not please everyone, just remember you are on vacation, no kids, no phone, Atrium Suite at CSA, no TV, you are thrown back in time where a schedule does not mean a whole lot, speaking of schedules 93 days 'til Rum Cream All I Want...

Construction around the airport is bad, other than that the ride is good. In the old days it was bad, but with the new roads it is good.
    Irie Mon

Not bad at all.
    nobody's favorite poster

No problem, mon! The ride we had was wonderful. A/C van - very comfortable - great driver. He told us about places of interest we were driving by. We stopped for a bathroom break at a roadside stand. No one bought anything - we all were anxious to get to paradise! Roads are fine - a bit tight in places, but no problem! Enjoy the view along the coast - it's wonderful!

The ride to Negril is one that shouldn't be missed. The coastal ride will provide you with some great views and you get to see some of Jamaica's natural beauty.

Relax, make some new friends and by all means get ready to enjoy Jamaica.

Just got back from CSA 1.5 weeks ago. The ride to CSA was the worst part of our trip because of the driver. Our ride from CSA to the airport was much more enjoyable (besides the fact we were leaving).

So to answer ur question, I really think it depends on what driver u get.

We've done the ride to CSA 3 times, and it's no worse than any other place in the Caribbean where they drive on the left side. I think North Americans are a bit disoriented by the whole driving on the left thing, so it seems worse than it really is. Yes, there are some goats to watch out for. There can be some aggressive passing. But we thoroughly enjoy the ride TO CSA. Everyone is happy, and it's fun if the driver stops and you can check out a local jerk shack. Finally, the road itself is much better than it was even five years ago.

It's not bad, I just prefer the ride to Ocho rios, The views are nicer and the road less winding.

we have made the trip over a dozen times. Our first trip took about 2.5 hours in the rain and every time a car passed us the rain came through a crack in the door of the van. We ONLY flew TimAir after that but that was BEFORE the road was fixed.

The ride is not that bad. It depends where you are from, if you are used to driving in DC, NYC, or LA then it is not that much different.

You typically ride in these little (15) passenger vans and the driver sits on the right side and drives on the left.

Traffic is worse on the w/e's so we usually travel on tue or wed and the trip can take as little as (1) hour if you ask the driver not to stop. I think negril is only about 60 km from the airport which is only about 37 miles but traffic can be bad in Mobay

Bosox 13,
    If you are a true Red Sox fan, then you have driven in Boston. Other than driving on the wrong side of the road, it is almost the same!
    I personally, don't love the drive. I get motion sickness but have been ok for the last 3 years. I still get a little nervous, but I try to relax and watch the scenery. It is really very interesting. If you get a talkative driver,that always helps. I like to listen to them and see everything. I usually just want to get to the resort. But it is not a horrible experience.

GO SOX!

I think what many find unsettling about the ride to Negril is the fact that they are giving up control of a motor vehicle to a guy who's driving in the wrong lane. Its only half as bad as that if you spend a lot of time on public transit or in cabs... then they are only on the wrong side of the road.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Default The Ride

The ride to the resort has to be one of my favorite parts of the trip. I love to have a few beers and watch Jamaica go by about it's day..

A little stop for some grub and another beer, is always great too!

It takes not near as long as they tell you, if you are the kind of person who gets nervous when other people are driving, then don't pay attention and enjoy the music and your beer.. The driving in Jamaica to an outsider looks like chaos but when you start paying attention to what they are doing when they are honking, etc. they are actually more courteous and looking out for each other than here in the US.

Just 10 days to go for me! CSA here we come!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast