Default Advantages/disadvantages of booking flights separately???

I'm just wondering the advantages and disadvantages of booking your flights separate from booking your room. I know that you have to wait 314 days til booking your flight, which is why I'm asking this question. I heard it is a hit or miss and it could be stressful due to the waiting, missed chances of good deals and the constant searching. Any suggestions would be great!! Thanks!!

Stash

While it may seem a crap shoot to book flights separately, it is no more so than booking a package. I would say to do what your comfort level allows. Tracking air fare becomes sort of a game, when you see a price you can accept you throw down your money and don't look back. Most of the anxiety is from looking after you purchase and seeing prices drop. We have booked our flights separately for the last several years and have done pretty well. Not always the cheapest, but no terrible disappointments either. There are many opinions and theories on when to buy, but it will always be a leap of faith. I would recommend searching in earnest at about 8 to 9 months out from your trip. This has been our window for booking flights and has worked out ok.
    Good luck with your decisions. No regrets. Have a great trip!
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

The last couple of times we booked the resort, it was over a year in advance and the flights were not out. However, we booked on the love away plan, and for extra credits. Right there is an advantage.
    Linda

Well i can give you a small difference- We booked our most recent trip in a package deal thru the couples site, with airfare included. We have had 2 flight changes already, and American didnt notify me of either- I happened to check it on my own. When i complained of not being notified, American claims they notified Couples, and that if i had a beef- it would be with Couples. So I wouldnt expect to be notified if you book them together as a package. I dislike American with the white hot intensity of 1000 suns... mike

We always book airfare separate. Especially now with Southwest flying out of Baltimore. They only have schedules 6 months out but from what I am seeing, with the flight times and prices, I'm willing to wait to book with Southwest.

We have always waited for the special deals that Couples offers and then book the resort only. Most times that's over year out so we can't book the flight even if we wanted to. I don't know about other cities but in Chicago it seems we have different airlines flying to Sangster every year. None are cheap and very few are nonstop. Since Air Jamaica discontinued their flights to Chicago a few years ago, trying to find a cheap nonstop flight to & from has been a real challenge. We flew AirTran in April, nonstop going, 3 hour layover in Atlanta returning for just under $1200. Certainly no bargain.
    When you are within the time frame to book you can plug in your flight days on Kayak or many other sites and they will alert you with any changes in the price. Depending on where you live, Southwest just announced last week that they will start flights to Mobay from many cities. In Chicago they are starting nonstop flights after November 14th. I plugged in a Saturday to Saturday flight in December just to see how much and it was $645 round-trip for 2. That was Air Jamaica prices years ago!

The advantage that we found with booking separately is that we were able to book the resort a year out on the love away plan and know that we weren't committed until 45 days prior to the trip if something came up. It allowed us to take advantage of their booking special without fully committing until we knew that for sure we could go.

Advantage or short notice trips we have booked together as we are inside the flight windows, but you often loose out on room specials.

The last 2 years we have booked very early (14 to 18 months out) using the love away plan to take advantage of the specials. We booked our (#4) Dec 2014 trip in 2013 and just booked our airfare this week. We booked our (#5) Dec 2015 trip in March 2014. We are a year away from booking air for that trip. We watch the airfare for price changes or specials.

The nice thing about the love away plan is you can cancel 46 days out for a full refund.
    CN, Oct 2012, CN May 2013, CN Dec 2013, Booked CN Dec 2014 2015,

If you shop for flight daily you will find better deals. Airlines will put sales on from time to time that may only last a few hours or maybe a few days. Coach tickets from the west coast are normally $750 to $1000 but I have purchased first class tickets for my Dec trip for only $960pp. It's best to start looking as soon as you can. The closer to the travel date the less seats available so the prices are normally higher. Good luck and happy hunting.

I usually book my trip during the promo period which is usually a year in advance. You usually do better trying to find your own flight and adding it later. I track my flights almost every day and have seen the cheapest rates when they first come out. My trip next week was around $500. I started looking last June and the cheapest I ever saw it was around $430 last July. It never got below $450 again and by Christmas it was over $600 so when it dropped again I booked it. Since then it has never gone below $500 again. So don't buy the rumor of waiting to buy. International flights book up and your options get limited.

Hi! We always book our flights separately from the Resort booking. Where we are from, United is the only airline that flies direct to Montego Bay. It doesn't seem to ever be offered through Couples flight options. We also find less expensive ticket purchasing options on our own. Believe it or not, sometimes booking directly through the airline is the best option!
    As long as you end up at Couples in Jamaica, that's all that matters! Have a great vacation!

Quote Originally Posted by metalmanstan View Post
    I'm just wondering the advantages and disadvantages of booking your flights separate from booking your room. I know that you have to wait 314 days til booking your flight, which is why I'm asking this question. I heard it is a hit or miss and it could be stressful due to the waiting, missed chances of good deals and the constant searching. Any suggestions would be great!! Thanks!!

Stash
    I have become a big fan of booking flights separately. First, it gives you a lot more flexibility if you want to change any aspect of your trip. This happened to us on a recent trip to Mexico where we had second thoughts about the resort, and could have changed without a big penalty had we not booked a package, but had to stick with it since it was all bundled together. Of course, you would never have second thoughts about a Couples resort :-). So, this may be more applicable when booking resorts other than Couples.

A second reason is that we now have Southwest flying to MBJ for us. If their fares go down, you can get a credit for the difference in fare and use it later. I just did that this morning and saved $55 a person! I'm now paying $365 roundtrip, nonstop from Baltimore! If I had booked my airfare as part of a package, I wouldn't have had the flexibility to do that. If the fare goes down again, I'll get additional credits. We fly SW all the time, so I will be able to use the credits with no problem.

This is the first time we've booked with the package of flight and hotel. After searching and searching it was the best deal for us. We looked at many airlines over weeks and never found a flight that when added to the hotel cost came up the same or less, it was always $500 - $1000 more. We are coming from California though so that might make a difference. I'll be interested to see when SW starts flying from SFO what their prices will be.