Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Secrets of CSA

Default Secrets of CSA

I love the thread Secrets of CN started by another member, but since we're heading to CSA for the first time at the end of April, I'm stealing the idea and asking for your secrets of CSA!

What are some neat, different things that you've done while at this resort? I realize that there is so much to do with excursions, food and resort activities but maybe there have been some "different" experiences or things that people have done that are outside the advertised activities? Special places on the property that are extra special ?

Thanks for your input!! April 30th can't come soon enough!!!

Try hot tub by the Palms at night. It is a great place to lisen to the nighly entertainment.

Find the hot tubs... all of 'em.

The lap pool... no one EVER uses it! Find it.

Relax and have dinner by the wedding gazebo. It amazes me how often its unused!

Croquet anyone? They have a brand new pitch! (Well, it wasn't quite ready in October)

The garden tour... 'nuff said!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I just joined the boards today and my future husband and I will be there July 2nd for our honeymoon. I love this question and would love some insider info from all the CSA addicts out there!

Walk out into the calm water up to around your chest and look down. There are scattered live starfish on the bottom!
    Say hello to Shawn and Romain up above the Palms at the Martini Bar. Great place to drink and hear the evening music with a few tables to relax at.
    Try to get the snorkel crew to take you to the "Mexico" site. So much better!
    Great smoothies at the sport/juice bar across the street by the fitness center and spa.

The pool table, upstairs at the the Palms.

In the sports complex activity guide they have a couples massage class. I had always wanted to try it but never took an hour of our previous trips to try it. A couple of weeks ago when we were there we gave it a whirl and it was really neat! There was only one other couple with us, so the massage therapist was able to give us one on one instruction and we learned a lot! Now we both know how to give a "real" massage! Loved it!

We'll be there in 10 days and would love to hear some more hints/secrets

At Seagrapes there is a self serve beer tap.

CSA also has a library of beach read books left behind by previous guests. It is upstairs from the palms. I think they have board games up there too, including chess. The unwritten rule is that you can take a book home with you if you leave another one behind.

The main bar at the palms is NEVER busy during the day.

If you are hungover, ask at Seagrapes if they have any "Jelly Coconuts" available. They will help you feel better. If they don't have any, go to the sports complex and explain your situation at the Sports bar, and then drink whatever smoothy they give you. Trust.

Make friends with the staff, be respectful of the staff, and cheerful in your dealings with them. You will absolutely be rewarded for this. They will really go the extra mile for you, just because you are nice. I do think they (unofficially) keep tabs on who acts like a royal jerk and who is pleasant to be around.

food related:
    1. always try the soup. It's usually spectacular.
    2. they serve a "Sangria of the day" at Patois Patio during lunchtime. Mmmmm...
    non-food related:
    1. you can schedule an apppointment with the personal trainer for a 30 minute private session. It ROCKS. (If you're into that kind of thing....)
    2. if you like cats, leave a little tidbit out for them in the morning, and they'll come and visit you regularly. (first floor rooms only.)
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

Ice cream machine by water sports hut.

Life is good

The Basket Weaving class is great, so fun, and you get to take home your hand-made basket! I now have a collection of 6! Can't wait to make a few more on our next trip April 28th-May 4th!! Also watching the sun set at the Bamboo Bar, beautiful!!

Coconut Water at Seagrapes (certain times of the day)
    Banana Stuffed French Toast....heavenly goodness in your mouth

Well, we loved taking a walk down the beach toward Negril and shop a bit and stop in at bars along the way to chat, and meet the locals a bit... Lots of fun...

The ice cream machine at Seagrapes..... The library upstairs from the palms.......Parasailing with Elvis.......

Couples Ocho Rios 2005/2006
    CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Find the hot tubs... all of 'em.

The lap pool... no one EVER uses it! Find it.

Relax and have dinner by the wedding gazebo. It amazes me how often its unused!

Croquet anyone? They have a brand new pitch! (Well, it wasn't quite ready in October)

The garden tour... 'nuff said!

You said to have dinner by the gazebo- that sounds real nice---is this one of the private dinners you pay extra for? Or is this a place you can just grab something from the grill and go over to and eat? And croquet?!! Sweet--I assume this is something available each day?

I don't know if this qualifies as a secret or not, but...Lay on the beach , soak in all the sounds of the ocean, the music & the people, & when you reach the level of "total relaxation", meaning you don't have a care in the world, then look around again, & if you get the feeling that if you were to die right then & there, you're already in heaven, then you've experience my secret of what CSA means to me. Just my humble opinion. Be back in 49 days for trip # 19, & already booked 2013.

*Take the resort tour when you arrive. Very informative and a good chance to meet your first new friends.
    *Try the onion rings at the Cabana Grill near Patois and the fish tacos cooked up fresh at the Seagrape Cafe on the beach.
    *Maybe not a real secret but the Atrium and Beachfront Suites have no glass in the windows. Only screens for bugs and adjustable wooden louvers for airflow and privacy. Great at night to hear the peeping tree frogs and waves lapping on the shore. Ahhhhhhhhhh...the sounds of Jamaica.
    * For an evening change of pace go to the piano bar above the Patois Restaurant and enjoy some sing along music and then head into the connecting Aurora Lounge for late night music and dancing.

Go to watersports, as soon as, they open (must be a calm morning) and kayak down toward the Long Bay Beach Park a little past Beaches. There is an area with no beach and it is somewhat rocky. If the water is calm, you will see the most amazing variety of rays, starfish and other sea life without even getting in the water. I've taken my water camera submerged it from the kayak and snapped some of the most beautiful photos. We even had dolphins with us one year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee View Post
    always try the soup. It's usually spectacular.
    This. The importance of this cannot be understated!

Get one of the watersport guys to take you out in the big sail boat (I forget the correct name of the boat) it is amazing and so much fun. Try taking out one of the small boats. Even if you have never sailed before it's really easy, take your camera along with a ziplock bag to keep it in it can get wet. Make sure to try alittle of all the food available. It may be your only chance to taste some of the things. Make reservations to have dinner (more than once) at Feathers for lobster night (saturday). Ask the waiter to add one of their wonderful steaks and have surf and turf. At Feathers also try the lion fish, it was so good and there aren't many places you'll beable to try it. Walk around the property. It is so beautiful and well kept. Get into town, have a taxi or car take you around Negril and to the shopping areas. And last of all make friends with All the staff. They love to talk with you, and once you talk you'll have a friend for life. The bartenders (at all the bars) would see us coming and have a drink ready for us. The staff loves to hear how good they are doing their jobs (landscapers, cooks, housekeeping). Have a great trip you'll enjoy it no matter what you do.

traveller -

If you do the private dinner, you can pretty much tell 'em where you want it. The wedding gazebo would be a great place! Nothing stopping you from doing a lunch there on your own, unless its being used for, gee, I don't know... a wedding. But you know, I see so few weddings there... a shame!
    Chris

We hear you, friend.... We've gotta talk about 2013 when we see ya! Hope we can join you then, too!
    Chris

Go to Palms for breakfast and try the vegetables. There is always an array of native veggies available at the buffet and they are wonderful with fish for breakfast. Get a table just above the pool for breakfast, go early, and after you eat get a cup of coffee and enjoy the view. We will just sit for a half hour sometimes enjoying the beautiful morning on the beach and the wonderful breeze that blows in off the ocean. Heavenly. Also in the morning you will occasionally see a bird fly in and steal a scrap from the bus trays. It is funny to watch the staff chase them off.

Sometime during the day get a chair in the shade on the beach. Sit down and work your feet into the sand up to your ankles. It is a terrific foot massage and the cool sand all around your feet will make them feel totally relaxed. Heavenly.

Go to the martini bar before dinner. Have a seat at the bar, order a drink and talk to the bartenders. After a while they will loosen up and tell stories, jokes and even do magic tricks for you . They are an absolute riot. We love the martini bar.

When you walk the beach path at night watch for critters. We see a crab or two on every trip, and sometimes you will see the resort kitties moving about the grounds.

I'm posting here so I can keep up on the tips you post. We'll be there in just 16 days!
    Going back for our 2nd Honeymoon / 5 year anniversary in April ! YAY!!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast