Default Cash or travelers checks or both?

Hey guys!!
    My fiance and I will be going to CSA in April (wedding is on the 14th!!!) and I was just wondering: What's the best way to travel to Jamaica with the extra money that we want to spend??? Should we bring it all in cash? Should we split it up between cash and travelers checks? Can we use travelers checks there? If we do bring plenty of cash is it safe to take what we need when we go out and leave the rest in the room's safe? This is our first trip to Jamaica and we want to bring plenty for souvenirs, excursions, extras, etc...we are just unsure of the best way to bring it.

Only bring cash. Traveler checks are unnecessary. Your in-room safe is very secure.

Hi Mrs Barnes! (in 16 days)

We've always brought cash for any extras. The safe in the room is the kind that you program with your own code so no worries there. We kept our cash, passports etc and even my diamond (got engaged last trip) in there - no problems whatsoever.

One tip - whatever cash you do bring - split it between the two of you while traveling. That way if something DOES happen during your travels - the other will always have cash. I don't have any experience with traveller's checks so can't help with that part of your question...

Congrats again!

Cash all the way and leave what you don't need for the beach in the safe. We try not to flash around a big was of cash.

We always take cash when we go and make sure you have several small bills for those souvenirs and extras you will buy along the beach or in town. I have never heard of any security problems with the safe in the room. Remember to have $2 per bag for handlers at the airport and tip money for the driver who takes you to the resort. They do not work for Couples. Leave room in your checked bags for all your goodies as it sounds like you may need it. Duty free liquor can be bought at the airport when leaving with credit cards but check your cards currency exchange charges to find the best card to bring.

Congrats on your wedding! We were married at CSS on April 12, 2006. What a great way to start your new life. Plan on returning for your anniversarys as, like us, you will want to come home to Couples each year.

Bring cash for souvenirs off the resort and the few people you need to tip; bagage handlers, drivers, spa workers. Make sure its small bills no one will have change. Your money will be safe in the safe or on you when you go out just use common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by futuremrsbarnes View Post
    Hey guys!!
    My fiance and I will be going to CSA in April (wedding is on the 14th!!!) and I was just wondering: What's the best way to travel to Jamaica with the extra money that we want to spend??? Should we bring it all in cash? Should we split it up between cash and travelers checks? Can we use travelers checks there? If we do bring plenty of cash is it safe to take what we need when we go out and leave the rest in the room's safe? This is our first trip to Jamaica and we want to bring plenty for souvenirs, excursions, extras, etc...we are just unsure of the best way to bring it.
    Cash and credit cards no need for travelers cheques as they will cause a headache. Money is safe in the safe as is most stuff. They have an ATM on site or are able to get you money at CSA so really no need to travel with copious amounts of Cash. Have fun!!!

Cash for off resort, credit card for everything on resort.

I'd say don't do any Traveler's Checks .... A pain that you don't need to bother with. Things around the resort that you purchase such as excursions, spa services, photos by the resort photographer, gift shop items, etc. can be charged to your room & paid for with a credit card at check out. Mainly you will only need cash for vendors for souvenirs, taxis (if you should want to take one on your own), & tips for shuttle driver, tour guides, baggage handlers, spa employees, cat cruise staff, musicians that you may have sing for you that come along the beach, etc. Make sure to take mostly small bills (lots of $1's & $5's & nothing larger than a $20) because change is hard to come by. We have never had an issue with just bringing cash & leaving it in the room safe except for what we need for the day. We do divide it between us when traveling (plus put a little bit in an envelope hidden in a carry on) just in case we should lose a billfold or something .... We won't lose it all & be without cash.
    Julie

Hi futuremrsbarnes,

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon in Jamaica. We just take cash, which stays in the safe until we need it. You set your own combo so no one but you can get into the safe. 4 visits to Couples resorts, with another coming up in 2 weeks, and nothing ever stolen from our room/safe.

Enjoy!

Bart & Bug

We take cash. Small bills for tipping luggage handlers at the airport and the bus driver. We use our credit card otherwise. But, make sure you call your cc company to let them know you are traveling out of the country.

Life is good

First couple of times to the island, we brought traveller's checks with us. All we found was that we could cash them for dollars and spend them freely. No reason for checks except to carry an emergency fund with you. Cash and CC should provide you with sufficient funds.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

First of all, congrats! You will love Jamaica!!! We went to CSS last April and brought travelers cheques in American Funds. We cashed them at the resort but they could only give us Jamaican dollars. This made things confusing as most things were priced in American Dollars. We ended up pulling american dollars out of the ATM which was way more convenient! This year, we are skipping the travelers cheques, bringing enough American money for tips and other small purchases and will pull out the rest of the cash at a machine in town. Hope this helps. Have an awesome vacation!
    We are at CN in 14 days!! Yahoo!