Default Scuba diving: not certified

Hi everyone! My hubbie and I are going to cn for the first time this may. I am really excited to scuba dive but we are not certified. Will that be a problem?

They offer an included "resort" course (not a certification), with one free ocean dive. It only takes a couple of hours in the pool learning the equipment and some safety procedures. After that, they take you out to do a shallow dive in the ocean. If you fall in love with it, you have the opportunity to get certified right there at the resort. That costs extra, of course, because it is a PADI certification, so PADI needs to get paid, but it is SO worth it. The dive instructors and dive masters are all excellent at CN. They are the main reason we choose CN over the other 3 so often. They will take great care of you! They are professional and patient, but they also make it fun!

We'll also be there in May (19-26) and will be diving. We got our advanced certification there last November. Maybe we'll see you there :-)

You can take the resort course, provided you can pass the swim test.

Not a problem, but you will need to take the "Resort Course" before going on a shallow dive with a group. They offer it most mornings at 9AM. Keep in mind that unlike the included Scuba for certified divers Couples only offers one free dive for the Resort Course folks. Any other dives for non-certified divers costs $50 per dive. Certified divers can get one dive per day included, and maybe second if there is space on the boat but the second dive is not guaranteed at all.

You might be wise to check into the medical release form that is required because it sometimes requires a doctor release form that you can bring from home or have arranged at an extra cost at the resort. I think the form is available on the Couples website somewhere.
    Have fun!

No problem, they have a resort dive. I haven't been to Couples yet, but I've done a resort dive at other places. It's a great experience and will really give you a feel for whether you want to be certified (I now am). My advice...if you are going to be there long enough, get certified there (my fiance will be). It's an extra charge (of course) and isn't cheap, but it's cheaper then most places you will find in the US. You only get one free non-certified dive. Subsequent ones are $50 a piece, so you might as well put that money toward certification if you love it!!

Have fun!!!!

Thanks for all of the information! I'm a certified lifeguard, and my fiance swims like a fish as well, and we'd love to experience scuba diving! I believe that we're going to want to go on multiple dives while at Couples.

Does anyone know the exact cost of the PADI course at Couples? I can be certifed through my college for $200.00. I'm just wondering which would be more cost-effective?

And also, has anyone gone on dives around Couples Tower Isle? I heard that the coral reefs near the island were in rough shape, and there wasn't much to see. Is that true?

Hi
    The sea conditions here make it one of the easiest places for someone learning to dive. Warm and clear water with very little current. There's sandy bottoms and no drop offs. Almost like a deep swimming pool with coral and fish.
    My lady certified at CN 3 years ago with Karl (Sugar). She has now done over 100 dives and loves scuba. Not bad when you consider that for years she had been telling me that diving was too scary for her.
    Ian (and Vanda)

Do they also offer this at CSA? We are going our first time in May and have never been certified but would love to give it a shot as neither one of us has ever scuba dived before. Is the "resort" course and 1 dive all free?

Cassie F.,

Yes, they offer it at CSA as well and the resort course with one dive is free :-) It is the same at all four resorts. We first took our resort course at CSS. That is how we fell in love with diving.

My wife and will also be down with you and we are interested in the free first timers dive and if we like then we'll be back and get certified when we return home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Mendy View Post
    They offer an included "resort" course (not a certification), with one free ocean dive. It only takes a couple of hours in the pool learning the equipment and some safety procedures. After that, they take you out to do a shallow dive in the ocean. If you fall in love with it, you have the opportunity to get certified right there at the resort. That costs extra, of course, because it is a PADI certification, so PADI needs to get paid, but it is SO worth it. The dive instructors and dive masters are all excellent at CN. They are the main reason we choose CN over the other 3 so often. They will take great care of you! They are professional and patient, but they also make it fun!

We'll also be there in May (19-26) and will be diving. We got our advanced certification there last November. Maybe we'll see you there :-)

One thing not addressed above -- you need to get the form filled out by your doctor (prefereably before you get to Jamaica -- otherwise you'll have to find/pay a Jamaican doctor to ok that you can do the dive!)

How well do you have to swim? What are the requirements? I am freaking about doing it, but my husband would like to do it.

Bettie, at CSS the swim test for the resort course dive involved swimming 2 laps (up, back, up, back) in the main pool. They let you swim at your own pace.

You also will go through about 45 min. video instruction and take a written quiz, then spend about 45 min. doing training in the pool with the instructor. Then you go out for the dive. The actual swimming during the dive is not very difficult. The hardest part is the mental factor, to actually be breathing while you are deep under water, and relying on your equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jagorham View Post
    One thing not addressed above -- you need to get the form filled out by your doctor (prefereably before you get to Jamaica -- otherwise you'll have to find/pay a Jamaican doctor to ok that you can
    Good catch, jagorham :-) You do have to fill out the form when you get to the resort and sign up to dive. You are fine if you don't have any of the issues listed in the form. However, if you do, you must take the form to a doctor, who will need to give you clearance to dive, and you need to take it with you to the resort. It is much better to get clearance before you go to Jamaica, because to see a doctor there is very expensive. Here is a link to the form, so that you can look at it and print it out and take it to the doctor, if you do have one of the conditions:

http://couples.com/scuba-diving-golf.php

Click on the link entitled "Scuba medical form" under the "All Divers" section.

Bettie,

You have to demonstrate that you are comfortable in the water. It seems to be up to the dive instructor at each resort. At CSS, we had to swim 4 lengths of the pool without stopping. At CSA, I believe I saw the resort course divers doing 8 lengths and at CN, I think it was two.

Quote Originally Posted by colts-n-cubs View Post
    My wife and will also be down with you and we are interested in the free first timers dive and if we like then we'll be back and get certified when we return home.
    We took the resort course at CSS and loved the experience, but unfortunately, we didn't try the diving until the end of our stay, so we didn't have time to do the certification there. We came back and got our open water certification at home. We did get our advanced certification at CN though.

Hopefully we'll see you there! Just look for a guy with a brown baseball cap that has "JA" in big letters on it. We love the end of the resort where the dive shack is and love to talk with all the watersports guys, so we should be easy to find :-)

[QUOTE=Ian and Vanda;172150]Hi
    The sea conditions here make it one of the easiest places for someone learning to dive. Warm and clear water with very little current. There's sandy bottoms and no drop offs. Almost like a deep swimming pool with coral and fish.
    My lady certified at CN 3 years ago with Karl (Sugar). She has now done over 100 dives and loves scuba. Not bad when you consider that for years she had been telling me that diving was too scary for her.
    Ian (and Vanda)[/QUOTE

Thats me! Sugar is the best, he is so patient and has certified hundreds of people every year, not long to go now Ian!

Vanda x

Looking forward to seeing you there. Maybe you can give us some tips!

Thanks everyone for your help!

At Couples Swept Away it was 365 a person

One of my favorite dives at CTI is the shipwreck...so much beautiful sea life!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post

Does anyone know the exact cost of the PADI course at Couples? I can be certifed through my college for $200.00. I'm just wondering which would be more cost-effective?
    You have to do PADI online (the book work) prior to arriving at the resort. That's $130. My fiance was quoted the price of $340 to get open water certified at CSA (includes knowledge tests, pool dives, and 4 open water dives and testing skills).

If the $200 through your college is for open water (not scuba) certification and it includes the PADI book work, then it's a total steal! The $340 (plus $130) is actually a good price for where I live, so my fiance is doing it.
    CSA - May 2012
    CN - May 2013
    CSS - October 2013