Default Does Anybody Swim in the Ocean at CSS?????

We are going to CSS next week and both love to swim in the ocean. We have read many threads and seen many pictures, but we don't see anybody in the ocean or hear them talking about swimming in the ocean. Can anyone tell us what the ocean is like? If the swimming is good, water warm, etc.? Is there a reason why it appears people aren't in the ocean?

Thanks for any insight.

Hey, we'll be there Monday afternoon for a week. It will be our second trip there and not our last, in fact we're already booked for a CTI/CSS split this time NEXT year!! :-)

I always go in the water...it's very therapeutic as well as relaxing! I just bring water shoes or sandals I can wear in the water as it's rocky in lots of places. The CSS beach is in a sort of lagoon so the waves aren't usually a big problem and the water is just great...warm and clear. You're going to love it!!!

Hello,
    My hubby is a big ocean swimmer off of SSB. It is a bit rocky until you get a little bit out in the water and then according to him it's pure bliss. You also have to get past the White River on the SSB side, which makes the water a bit cool, but once you are past the river the water is delightfully warm.

I have seen folks out in the water off the main beach too--just must be personal preference.

Have a wonderful trip!
    suzyQ

You can certainly swim there at both beaches. The main beach is the larger one, and the bottom is sandy with the odd rock. There is also a floating platform for sunbathing. SSB is smaller with a rocky bottom so water shoes might be a good idea for there. We spent many hours just floating at both beaches last year. The lounge chair pads are also double as a floater.

Yes, people definitely swim in the ocean there! If you are going to SSB (au naturel) there are a lot of rocks in the water but we bring water shoes to help with that. Also the White River empties right into ocean in front of the beach so there can be some mighty cold water in some spots. Once you get past that though the water is perfect. On the main beach its nothing but sand and shallow for quite a ways out. You can also get into the water either by the gym (there is a gate and steps) or under the waterfall over by the spa. We usually do this and snorkel in these areas and you can find cold spots too due to the resort's springs emtying into the ocean. Overall the water by the main beach is perfect and the rest just keeps it interesting! BTW...we'll see you next week> We arrive on Saturday (4/14) and cannot wait to go home again!

Travelguy012,
    It could be that we don't want any body to see what we look like in our bathing suites for fear of scaring you off. LOL
    The water is beautiful and warm. We have also experienced sea weed on the bottom, but we just get on our floaties and float over it. If you walk out near the ropes, towards the cliffs there is a coral bed and it is loaded with fish. You can just stand there and they will swim around your legs.
    We will be there when you are and yes there are many of us to share the beach and ocean with. See you next Friday!
    Phinns Up

We swam in the ocean a couple of days. There seemed to be more seaweed there but I think that's because of private location of the CSS's beach. After you "weed" through it, the water is nice. I preferred the mineral pool myself. Just don't be in the pool when the water aerobics class starts! You get sucked into being in the class and let me tell you, it's a workout! Ha, ha!

Speaking of the Mineral Pool, if you follow the steps down to the Sauna, there is access to tghe ocean there as well. Swam there almost every day. It was LOVELY!!!

Wow it sounds just brilliant - different from Negril in a really good way. We had a great holiday on the Red Sea few years ago and another one in the Maldives and both these had the tropical fish at your feet thing going on but we've have never seen them near the beach in Jamaica.

Thanks for the water shoes tip as we have got used to not needing them on 7 mile beach at CSA and CN.

Quote Originally Posted by miwing View Post
    We swam in the ocean a couple of days. There seemed to be more seaweed there but I think that's because of private location of the CSS's beach. After you "weed" through it, the water is nice. I preferred the mineral pool myself. Just don't be in the pool when the water aerobics class starts! You get sucked into being in the class and let me tell you, it's a workout! Ha, ha!
    Thank to everyone for the insight. Only 3 1/2 days to go! Will see some of you there.

Half the resort is on SSB, and the other half is on the main beach. I can't speak for the main beach, although yes there were people swimming and floating in the ocean in March, but SSB is wonderful. There are no ropes, and it is visually prettier. You can swim out as far as you like.

Most people, especially me, go into the warm waters with their floats and just relax. I am sure you could swim some if you wanted but not too far as the beach area is small and the coral and rocks start a little way off shore beyond the regular bathing area that is roped off. I look at the water as an equalizer for the hot Jamaican sun. Sun above and water below while on my float. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...just thinking of it.........