Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default No cameras on the Isle at CTI? Rule or request?

OK, I got thinking after reading Crabracers response in this topic: http://couples.com/mb/showthread.php...Entry-DROPPED-!
    He indicated that Couples policy is no cameras on the Isle.

I'm wondering if this is an actual Couples rule (in which case we broke it) or more of a request ( a "please don't take cameras out to the Isle, but we won't stop you if you do" sort of thing)

I will admit that the wife and I took some photos on the Isle, and we did ensure that there was NO ONE in the pics (except for one of the two of us on top of the tower, shoulders up) But, if there is an actual rule about no cameras, then I'd like to know, so we don't violate it next year when we go back.

Randymon, care to comment?

I know when we took the resort tour, nothing was mentioned about cameras.

Thanks!
    Jason
    CTI in 494 days
    3 hours
    41 minutes!!!

We do not have a strict NO CAMERAS policy for Tower Isle. Rather, we anticipate that everyone will be respectful and NOT take pictures of any other guests.

Couples Resorts

I'm glad that this is dealt with as a "common sense/respect" rule, and not an "iron fist" rule. I've been to a few nude beaches and a nude campground, and the same thing applies. Feel free to take pics of you and your spouse, or even others WITH THEIR PERMISSION, and there's no problems. Try being a "voyeur" and be prepared to have your fancy camera go swimming with the fishes. I'm hoping to get a few good pictures of me and my wife while we're there, and even politely ask someone if they would mind taking a few pics of us together, but will be sure that no one else will be in the pics with us. I'd like to think that if people are mature enough to enjoy AN, then they're mature enough to not make others uncomfortable by being overly "carefree" with their camera. See whoever is there from March 22-28th!

Quote Originally Posted by randymon View Post
    We do not have a strict NO CAMERAS policy for Tower Isle. Rather, we anticipate that everyone will be respectful and NOT take pictures of any other guests.
    Thank you for the prompt reply! I'm happy to know that we didn't break any rules!
    Jason

Keep in mind the golden rule. Just how bad would it be if someone snuck a camera out and got a pic of you? That being said, we did take our cell phones out and there was one day when we were the last people out. We took a pic of the view from the island, though not of the island itself and there were no other people there. I would never whip out my cell phone with other people present, even if I was not using it to take a picture, because I wouldn't want to make anyone uncomfortable with my actions.

For all the time that we have been going to CTI, I always thought that there was a policy in place that did not allow for any cameras on the island. Not that we would ever take pictures of anyone else, but sometimes there are moments that just beg for a camera. Thanks for clarifying that issue.

Richie

Quote Originally Posted by randymon View Post
    If I could like this, I would. We have gone out early/stayed until after most other have left, to take photos. The photos are looking back to the mainland, the bar (with no one). We were there, however, when someone brought out a camera and started taking photos with everyone at the bar. Needless to say, what a way to empty the pool. The bartender did tell them to put the camera away. Also, if you have your camera out on the boat ride, the driver will tell you that cameras are not allowed.
    Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by Crabracer View Post
    For all the time that we have been going to CTI, I always thought that there was a policy in place that did not allow for any cameras on the island. Not that we would ever take pictures of anyone else, but sometimes there are moments that just beg for a camera. Thanks for clarifying that issue.

Richie
    I totally agree! Sometimes photo ops are too good to pass up. When we were at SSB last February, there was a large Rooster, Hen and newborn chicks walking around the pool area. My husband couldn't pass up the opportunity to get pics of the cute chicks and the big cock at the nude beach!!! Of course, there were only chickens in the pictures, no people, but who doesn't see the humor in THAT???!!!

33 days till CSS again!!!
    Kris & Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Vickyj View Post
    If I could like this, I would. We have gone out early/stayed until after most other have left, to take photos. The photos are looking back to the mainland, the bar (with no one). We were there, however, when someone brought out a camera and started taking photos with everyone at the bar. Needless to say, what a way to empty the pool. The bartender did tell them to put the camera away. Also, if you have your camera out on the boat ride, the driver will tell you that cameras are not allowed.
    Not sure I'd be a big fan of the person just bringing out the camera at the bar. I guess the deciding factor would be if they were a "newbie" that day, or someone I'd gotten to know over the week and was sure they wouldn't use the photos on the internet. If someone wants a group photo for nostalgia, I'm sure if they asked some would be willing....key there is they need to ask!

Glad to see for the most part, people can behave like adults and respect others!

CSS April 29-May 10, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by improvgirl View Post
    Keep in mind the golden rule. Just how bad would it be if someone snuck a camera out and got a pic of you? That being said, we did take our cell phones out and there was one day when we were the last people out. We took a pic of the view from the island, though not of the island itself and there were no other people there. I would never whip out my cell phone with other people present, even if I was not using it to take a picture, because I wouldn't want to make anyone uncomfortable with my actions.
    This I think is something people will need to be aware of, what with how small cameras are getting, and the fact that pretty much any and all cell phones have a camera. The other thing to think about is all the other devices that now include cameras, and might be out on the Isle or the AN sections of the other resorts. As an example, my tablet which I took on vacation as a reading device, has both front and back facing cameras. I think it would have been unlikely that someone might have noticed me taking a pic of them with the tablet if I did my best to be both "nonchalant" about it, and to make it look like I was still reading (And no, I took NO pictures of anyone on the Isle with it!)

I'm glad that the cameras the wife and I took out to the Isle were both large enough to be noticed as cameras, so if someone was uncomfortable at them, they could have said something, and we couldn't easily hide them (hers is an older Kodak point-n-shoot, mine is a newer Fuji SLR-alike with a non-removable lens) Of course it also helped that the most people on the Isle when we were out there was 15 (including ourselves and the bartender) so it was easy to make sure no one else was in the shots we took that day...

So, next visit, we'll probably just take the cameras out once to get a few photos, then leave them.
    Jason

I would rather someone take out a BIG nice camera and make it known they are snapping a few personal shots versus someone feeling they must sneak it out...the process and that demeanor would then make the appear suspect. I think the "common sense" rule works much better than the "iron fist" application.
    2012: Apr 22-29 Couples Tower Isle; Jul 21-28 HBR
    PAST TRIPS:CouplesOR-Feb '95, Jun '97, Jan '00,01
    HedoIII-Jul '03,04,05 GLB-Jul 06,07,08,09 Starfish-Jun 07,08
    Rose Hall-Jun '08,09 GLN-Jun '09 Breezes Rio Bueno-Feb '10
    Dreams RC & PA-Jun '10 Now Jade-Apr '11 El Dorado/HBR-Jul '10,'11

Default camera

Last time we were at cti, we took the first boat out one day and had the island to ourselves..it provided us an opportunity to take some great pics without potentially offending anyone. Also, I was approach by another couple that we had met on the island and they asked us to take some "tasteful" pictures of them...it was no problem...a couple quick pics and they put the camera away.

This is all good until somebody shows up unaware on a website it their birthday suit. I would prefer the tasteful pictures were taken prior to the Island being inhabited by the rest of the Island visitors, and the cameras staying out of site during the rest of the day.
    Randy

Randy - With the zoom lenses, I worry about that more with pics taken from balconies than Islanders.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerGrad93 View Post
    Randy - With the zoom lenses, I worry about that more with pics taken from balconies than Islanders.
    Great point Tiger but lets not forget about the boats that go past. They are the worst!
    Nothing we can do but smile about it and say oh well......

Exactly, I'd feel safer on the island or SSB with someone that has made it known they are going to take only photos of willing subjects than on the nude beaches at the other resorts where anyone with a room right by the brach can take pictures of unknowing subjects.

We usually just moon the boats...If anyone can recognize me like that, then I need to close my windows at home...Ha!

In past years at CTI, which has been some time and the net/cameras have come a long way, we just moved towards the bar/tower/pool when boats came by...Someone who saw it coming warned everyone.

VA Couple - I agree. There is much more respect exhibited by other AN guests typically than by non-AN guests...what if you caught me taking pics of another person/couple on TI...Vacations would be ruined by my presence and everyone would be leary...Jamaica is about respect and AN guests typically show that. Would I want my vacation ruined? But I also want others to be able to take some of those pics that they as a couple look back at when at home and remember the freedom and special time they spent...that is what brings them back...to quote many, "Once you go, you know!"

VA Couple - I agree. There is much more respect exhibited by other AN guests typically than by non-AN guests...what if you caught me taking pics of another person/couple on TI...Vacations would be ruined by my presence and everyone would be leary...Jamaica is about respect and AN guests typically show that. Would I want my vacation ruined? But I also want others to be able to take some of those pics that they as a couple look back at when at home and remember the freedom and special time they spent...that is what brings them back...to quote many, "Once you go, you know!"
    If you took it that I was leery of going to the AN beach, I gave the wrong impression. I (we) are looking forward to it! If someone wants a photo of us naked, they must be desperate! We are a mid 40's "plus sized" couple, not something that I would expect to see posted all over the internet...if so, oh well! I was just pointing out that is one reason we chose CSS, the beach isn't right in front of a bank of rooms with balconies that anyone with a decent camera can take pictures from. If while we are on the beach, if someone is taking photos for nostalgia and personal memories, won't bother us. Heck, I'll even take pictures for them if they want. However, I would draw the line if someone was trying to sneak close up photos of me or my wife....but then again, why would they want to?

CSS April 29-May 10, 2013

My Husband and I brought our camara out to the island not to get pictures of the naked people but to get pictures of the view from the island. We took our pictures from the top of the Tower but on our last day Sylvia, Richie and ourselves (and Damien) were the only ones left on the island so Sylvia offered to take some tasteful pictures of us with strategically placed palms LOL and we love those pictures. We also walked around the island in our clothes right before leaving and took some really awesome pictures of each other with the hotel in the background....We also talked Teron (sp) the awesome boat driver to take us around the island instead of straight back and we were able to take some really nice photos at dusk of the island. So I guess I would hate it to be NO CAMERAS at all but just prefer that everyone respects everyone and as long as we do that NO PROBLEM MON!!!
    48 days until were home!!!!
    Kiki and Tom

When I see boats coming, I just roll over. I used to participate in the traditional mooning, but no more. I don't wish to end up on the net.
    Vicky

We have taken photos on nude beaches and occasionally found that someone else who was not planning or consenting on being in the picture got included accidentally (or even just part of someone). What I do is crop or otherwise edit the original file. Even if no one else is going to see it but us it's just personal ethics to me.

When the "boats" come by or similar circumstances. I usually wave and invite them to join in. That usually embarrasses them enough to send them packing.

Well, I experienced a bit of a stinker a couple of weeks ago (and I use this to illustrate how common sense can prevail.... a la Couples and cameras on AN beaches). I took myself off from London to Carlisle (UK) to see my sister and her growing family, most of whom I had never met face to face. I was incredibly happy to learn that my oldest grand nephew (he's now 8) was off to play football (sorry, soccer!) for his local team on Saturday morning. Long story short, I took my camera and took a few shots before the game started then when the match kicked off wandered over to the other side of the pitch to have the sun behind me. I was summarily accosted by the local football 'child safety' officer who, rather gruffly and with a little menace, (which made me feel guilty!) told me that I can't take photos of the match without the express permission of every parent present at the match (on a signed form!).

I wasn't happy but obliged nonetheless. The world has officially (in the UK that is) gone MAD!!

Are there really people out there that 'get off' on seeing young people in shorts? Don't answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by Murtle View Post
    I was summarily accosted by the local football 'child safety' officer who, rather gruffly and with a little menace, (which made me feel guilty!) told me that I can't take photos of the match without the express permission of every parent present at the match (on a signed form!).
    I totally agree with this thread, keep your photographs personal and respect others. There is no need for draconian rules, we’re on holiday.

However, there’s one myth relating to permissions needed to take photographs in public areas I would like to dispel.

I have experienced what happened to Murtle at a fashion show attended by my niece.

A similar gruff and menacing official ordered me not to take photos of my niece on the catwalk. I too obliged and put my camera away. Interestingly, I noticed she did not approach the people pointing phones at the children.

However, I was intrigued. As a photographer and child safety officer myself I wanted to know what legislation Miss Gruff refers too. Apparently there are no legal rules (in the UK) that prevent anyone from taking any photograph in a public place of any person… man woman or child. If here were, our magazines would not be clogged with photographs of Miss Celebrity and her children shopping and the paparazzi would be out of work.

I realised I may have digressed from the relevance this has in our AN environment and I am not advocating irresponsibility but I found it interesting that the laws and rules the likes of Miss Gruff quote do not exist.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

I am glad that cameras are not totally banned on the Island. They are banned at CN and the security is quite aggressive. There was even an instance when I was there last year that the security told someone to put the camera away and they were just standing in a group looking pics from an earlier outing. It was not being pointed and was being held so close to the ground as to only get pics of sand.

I believe it was Ben Franklin who once said that "ones liberty ends where another's liberty begins" Now that could be a blatant paraphrase but the point is that your "right" to take pictures ends where another's "right" to not have their picture taken starts.

It is all about being civil and not impeding on others "right" to a comfortable nudist experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast